suburbanites's avatar

Bois de Santal by Creed

I've now tried this fragrance, and yes it is officially discontinued since around 2008. Unfortunately, in my view, I cannot say that constitutes much of a loss. The opening note definitely contains more than a subtle hint of civet, though not in a unique "Kouros" type of way that one might enjoy.. It simply lingers in the background, barely there, finally drying into a very dry and floral sandalwood. By the time the transformation from top to base note is complete, you're left with something rather orange, floral, and hinting at sandalwood, though not very distinguished. It tends to lack the level of depth or character throughout that I've enjoyed in other Creeds. In a day and age of myriad scents, this comes across as common yet very dated in its feel. It lacks an identity that sets it apart and becomes significant to the wearer. It wouldn't be a favorite in my collection, and while intriguing at first sampling, it transforms very poorly for me over time. If collecting rare and vintages Creeds is a hobby or passion, it's one to seek out for historic value; its not one I enjoyed wearing nor could recommend.

22nd January, 2011