colormechris's avatar

No. 5 by Chanel

Always a favorite of my mother. She has excellent taste in fragrance. She wore this on special occasions when I was very young, so it has a great nostalgic air for me. As an adult, I always found it a bit old ladyish, albeit a very sophisticated, moneyed old lady. I recently found an old bottle at the Goodwill for 50 cents, which is probably around what it cost in 1921...well, maybe not. Wearing it now, I find it an acquired taste, which I'm rapidly acquiring. It's still so strangely modern; yet old fashioned at the same time. It works a seductive spell and conjures the time in which it was created. And still has so much to say about today. How can you beat that? That old bottle I found is vintage and the "cologne" version. I find it very soft. Based on some of the reviews here, the greater concentrations seem like they're a totally different animal. An old she cat in heat it sounds like. But I like my little bottle of cologne. There's an old commercial on Youtube of Catherine Deneuve for Chanel No. 5. She says "cologne" in a French accent that makes it sound like she just invented the word. I fell in love with her long ago. Right now, I'm falling in love with Chanel No. 5

18th January, 2011 (Last Edited: 08th February, 2011)