Aiona's avatar

Gendarme by Gendarme

Soapy! My first thought with the opening notes were, "Hey, this kinda smells like the old Clairol Herbal Essence Shampoo!" (not the kind that is promoted in those fake orgasm advertisements, but the original 1970's formulation) I always wondered what was in that shampoo that made it smell so good.

As of this review, the notes listed are "Citrus, Verbena, Jasmine, Thyme, Leather." I don't smell leather in here. But after those top notes blow off (rather quickly, like within less than 30 minutes), it simply smells soapy.

Soapy along the lines of Penhaligon's English Fern, or Mugler Cologne, as some other reviewers have mentioned. Maybe some slight differences. I don't know if it's soapy because of the lavender or something else. I don't see lavender listed as a note.

Longevity? Not so good. I can barely smell it 4 hours later. Only if I sniff up close to my arm. So maybe longevity is not so bad, but sillage is virtually nil. In the Basenotes forums, there is reference to an EdP formulation which supposedly has better longevity and sillage.

I like it. But I heard it's mucho expensive (I am trying a sample gifted to me.), so is it worth the price compared to cheaper soapy scents? Maybe not.

10th February, 2011