iodine's avatar

Bois Farine by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Le rêve de l’écureuil. Wearing Bois farine reminds me of the poetic name of a dessert I once tasted in France. What can a squirrel dream of, when winter days are getting shorter, trees are getting bare and cold creeps into his hole? I suppose he’d dream of nuts, nuts, nuts…
    Grounded hazelnuts, walnuts, chestnuts, almonds (maybe not peanuts, as everybody here seems to point out, but I guess it is something to do with different food culture: I’m not accustomed to peanut butter’s taste and couldn’t say what it smells like): these notes gently hit my nostrils in the opening of the fragrance, along with bittersweetly piquant, vagously liquorice-y Umbelliferae seeds- aniseed, fennel and cumin that spice it up just a bit. Then some flowers emerge, powdery iris, to give light and softness to the woods sourrounding. In the drydown, the woods gently receed and give way to a note that I hate, everywhere but here: soft and clean white musks, warm, comfy with a faint plushy fur scent, like a squirrel’s belly..
    Definitely an exceptionally gentle, subtle and conforting fragrance that, according to Maitre Ellena’s aesthetic choices (and to the nature of dreams and squirrels), lasts for just a while and disappears in the forest...

29 November, 2010 (Last Edited: 15 February, 2011)