alfarom's avatar

Melograno by Santa Maria Novella

Someone may not like the way I speak, but I always try to go straight to the point. Many aspects that I understand but I don't like about the perfumery industry are based on "hooks". They always try to capture our attention with intriguing (inconsistent) description, bizarre effects (girls/boys catching feromones), weird ingredients (urine, tear gas etc.) or tradition. But first of all is our nose, our feelings, our sensations and that's what we should really follow. Santa maria Novella was founded in 1700 and based everything on tradition but unfortunately, sometimes, it's not enough. I'm not talking about Melograno, this is more of a general SMN review. A bunch of their perfumes have a great opening, some others not but IMO the real problem with their scents is the drydown. They all tend to smell old (litterally), rancid, obsolete. Sometimes tradition is a very good value, something to hand down from father to son, sometimes tradition should be a little bit revised.

06 March, 2011