Foustie's avatar
    Foustie
    Scotland Scotland

1725 Casanova by Histoires de Parfums

Essentially a beautiful and interesting soft amber. Begins lemony woody, with lavender and liquorice quickily coming through, then after a time the dry down of vanilla and amber with cedar and floral notes. I am not a huge fan of vanilla but this is soft and integral to the drydown. It does not overwhelm. I don't find this fragrance too sweet as some others do. I agree wth Jenson that 1725 may seem almost linear but in fact it is far from that. It does develop quickly but with nuance and interest which continues throughout.

05/04/2011, Hmm, I am playing with my sample box of Histoire De parfum again and every time I smell 1725 I have the same thought. I wonder if this is what Casanova smelled like? Given his era - and his reported proclivities..... I think probably not. BUT it may be how his rooms smelled. Why? Old fashioned furniture polish! Before the days when we cleaned our house with antibacterial chemicals our rooms may well have smelled like this, old mellow wood, lemon and lavender, with the amber and vanilla filling the space of beeswax. Beautiful.

08 June, 2010 (Last Edited: 05 April, 2011)