pearlfingering's avatar
    pearlfingering

La Petite Robe Noire (original) by Guerlain

Passing a cheerful goth girl on my way from the bank on a beautiful spring afternoon, I caught a whiff of this recent Guerlain perfume and was impressed. I was surprised it was Guerlain, actually. Many reviews say this was a Chanel rip off Maybe the marketing was, but I think Guerlain was going for more of a Wednesday Adams effect. My impression was this was a new Lolita Lempicka, because the herbal licorice gourmand trick is well done. La Petite Robe Noire lists lemon in the ingredients. I haven't smelled it sprayed, but that note is probably short-lived. Fresh, musky apples is what made me stop the girl wearing this. It was like some Hungarian peasant dance where the girl keeps an apple in under her arm and gives it to the boy she likes best, or like Snow White. Based on the bottle, this is what I expected the original Lolita Lempicka to smell like. But I guessed many of the notes correctly and should have known this was Guerlain: anise, damascones, heliotrope, musk and vanilla. It's a good fruity floral, but it's a tired genre.

11th April, 2011