eris's avatar

Hanae Mori (new / Butterfly) by Hanae Mori

Ah, Butterfly. This is the scent I put on just for me, because it evokes so many good feelings and pleasant memories. Fruity, girly, but tempered with just enough smoke to make it bearable--and I'm really not a fan of the sweeter scents.

My first boyfriend literally would not stop sniffing me when I wore it, and ever since then it's been my go-to. It should, in all fairness, be TOO candied and immature, but something about it, when worn by the right person, lends it a subtle kind of gravitas. It manages the overdone lychees-and-sugar without being cloying, and in the end it smells like coy, coltish sexiness. It's intoxicating while still being innocent, and for all of this, it remains my go-to.

On me, the EDT (my favorite of the formulations) starts off most noticeably with lychee, which gradually fades into a luscious "woodsy" smell, and finally wears down to a very warm musky incense that retains hints of both the lychee and the wood.

05 February, 2011 (Last Edited: 25 April, 2011)