Redbeard's avatar

L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

I remembered this one being mind-numbingly boring, and it definitely has that set of notes required to be a typical Eau de Macy's. It starts out as a pleasant lightish wood scent, almost as light as Canali but not as transparent. There's a little bit of anise, but not enough to bother me. Unfortunately, the wood soon begins to get fruitier. Once again we're back to the standard overripe bananas and faux-watermelons that I always complain about because they bug the hell out of me. Not that they aren't still sharing the space with a reasonable amount of wood, but the focus has shifted away from where I want it. I believe that violet is also present, contributing a growing tinge of surreal purple florals to the unnecessary sweetness. The honeyed amber base isn't quite powdery or spicy enough to remind me of the family of supersweet niche scents that I dislike, but it's still just a bit too overbearing. I can't quite hate this fragrance, but I should probably just move on to more interesting and less synthetic ones. Overall, it's very surprising for a house whose previous releases are each so unique and distinctive.

27 April, 2011