helg's avatar

Amarige by Givenchy

This is a perfume with a tragic story...Perhaps not tragic , ..but unpleasant , nonetheless.
    I am really at a loss on how to begin deconstructing the good things others have said before me and for such a venerable house as Givenchy( No offence , ladies ) Bear with me for a while , I will try to make it clear.
    It was for some time the scent of my MIL. Now this may make you say : " Oh , she's prejudiced , then , it was worn by someone she hates! ". And yet I don't hate her , yet I hate the perfume. My MIL is really inconsistent in choosing perfume , she has me confused. She seems to like sweet rich florals for herself but with confusing results : Giorgio , Amarige , Chloe , First on the one hand ( typhoons more likely....) and Tresor , Paris ,Dolce $ Gabanna red cap , Lolita lempicka ,Paul Smith women and J'adore on the other ( sweet still , but softer and rounder , although for the longest time she drenched herself in Tresor EDP to the point I couldn't get in the car with her comfortably and making me suspicious of Tresor ever since...not that I find it bad per se , I like its peach-rose accord ).
    As to fragrance gifts to me , she is even more erratic : Sweet florals and florientals such as Allure , J'adore , Birmane , Intuition , Oscar de la Renta or even Chloe Narcisse - that one I hated - along with zingy , happy , youngish things such as Happy , Ralph , Oh!de Moschino , Envy or Gucci EDP II on the other hand.

WHAT'S GOING ON? Is she buying for someone else too and gets mixed up? Is she influenced by salespeople pushing the latest thing? ( my most valid guess ) Is it designer and snob appeal? Or is she just a heavy smoker ( 1,5 pack a day ) so her sense of smell has gone bananas and doesn't know? ( and yet she claims it's her only sense time hasn't affected LOL ). And guess which fragrance she compliments on me all the time ( she dosn't identify it and asks beforehand ) : OPIUM !!! A fragrance she despises and always says that back at the time it didn't sell well at the duty free! ( yeah , right.....Then why is it still sooooo available everywhere ? )

ANYWAY.....I love the woman nonetheless , but not because she once loved Amarige. What can I say? Perhaps someone gifted her with that....she had to test it once.
    Well....it was a typhoon and earthquake simultaneously hitting me when I first smelled it on her. A STRONG smell of flowers of the most aggressive variety ( think tuberose and gardenia ) mixed with a LOT of red fruits and plum and cassis ( a particulary sticky note , very prominent in Tiffany original )hits you on application. Granted , she did spritz 5 times under EACH armpit!!!!( I had the fortitude not to faint , I was present at the time.......) Nausea , gagging and general discomfort ensued....but I am too polite to insult her perfume! After all she is a lovely lady , even if she still insists that Giorgio was " something else " ( said in a dreamy , hazy way). I was so appalled that I became convinced it was her chemistry that made that scent so strong and foul.So bitter and squeeky sweet at the same time. So I had to spray myself at a store once , didn't I? What kind of fragrance cognoscenti wouldn't?

A WARNING LADIESDon't ever do that mistake as I did. This stuff is potent. This stuff is the Ivan and all the other typhoons in Florida combined. You know Fracas? That kind of thing , only not as dry in the base , not as masterfully blended.( although I don't wear it I appreciate it in small doses on others sometimes ). I collected my pieces off the floor and shakingly went to the nearest bathroom to collect myself.
    Luckily my MIL has stopped wearing this and if she ever does again , I refuse to be present to smell the fumes. At last , she wears soft , discreet scents.

SIDENOTE!A few days ago , standing in the bank for a deposit I smelled this perfume again. It was unmistakable. Strong , floral and fruity ( I admit I have a problem with fruity ) and emanating from nearby....Not so obnoxious as I remembered , but still bad in a way. Overwhelming , if you know what I mean.
    I turned my head to see : who wears this? what target group has this fragrance got? To my surprise it was a young woman , not much younger than me , blondish ( well , highlights on a natural light brown ) , groomed in a girly way ( no sh*t! what did you expect ? ) and very confident in her stance.
    The mystery was solved. SO NOW I KNOW! Amarige gives you confidence! It won't make you feel nice , it won't please anyone in particular ( I doubt it is a man magnet , men seem to like discretion , even in the heaviest oriental ) but it will make sure you will get noticed. The rest is up to you.
    If you are a nice person , like my MIL for example , people will still love you, even if they hate your perfume. That's not bad , just real life.

20th September, 2005