jcastano's avatar
    jcastano

Unforgivable by Sean John

I'd like to second silentrich's statement. It seems that many individuals out there like to automatically disregard a fragrance based on the "celebrity" or any other preconceived negative"label" they tend to place on these type of scents. Okay, it's Sean John, I get it....but the fragrance isn't all that bad. In fact, it's probably one of the best celebrity scents out there. Is it worth the hefty price tag? Absolutely not, but what fragrance is these days. However, I've seen local discount retailers price a 1.7 oz bottle from anywhere between $15-$30. In that regard, it's a wonderful cheapie. It's very modern and has an uncanny sexiness to it. Dare I say, it has it's own "swagger". With that said, the notes in here are interesting. In the opening, I get a strong fruity, tart citrus over a very green birch leaf but all that is short lived because within seconds, that citrus, birch leaf becomes a bit salty (marine-like) with whiffs of spiced florals (only sage and lavender to my nose) taking account as well. The base uses pieces of all those elements and adds a rum accord and light amber. I don't get any woods at all nor tonka bean.
    The overall scent is just a fresh, fruity, lightly spiced, boozy citrus, pseudo-aquatic. It works well dressed up or down, day or night, in any season. Longevity could be better, 3-6 hours. Projection is moderate but becomes a skin scent after 2 hours. Still, even with horrible longevity, I get compliments on this frequently. DO NOT over apply! It WILL get cloying and sharp and you'll end up really hating it.

For the record, The MI comparison is a bit accurate but more overstated than anything. I think "Puff" was most likely aiming for a similar scent to MI so those who do not have the funds to invest in a Creed can have a similar experience to the Creed legend. Did he succeed? Eh, somewhat. Unforgivable is a bit darker and spicier though, it's more of a clubbing, night out type of scent, while MI is brighter, fresher, and more of a spring/summer fling type of deal. I remain neutral in my rating because although I enjoy it, for some reason, I've always felt this scent is missing something. Every time I wear this, I feel that this fragrance lacks that OOMF factor......something big, something heavy, something I can't pinpoint for the life of me, but it's still sexy. I enjoy the top notes more than anything. If the top notes were the actual drydown, this would probably be in the top 5 in my collection. My overall rating B-

27 May, 2011