shamu1's avatar

Open by Roger & Gallet

I've quickly gotten to like this fragrance, now that I've worn it a couple of times. I like it because it's so spicy and aromatic, and it projects well and lasts all day. I wouldn't call this a powerhouse scent because it's not heavy at all, even though it does make its presence known.

Open is dry and stark, to the point where if you oversprayed it you'd feel like someone was scraping your sinuses with a cheese grater. It smells like a sage and clove-scented bar of soap. It reminds me a lot of fragrances like Equipage, Jacomo de Jacomo and Palais Jamais in its arid feel.

The drydown is excellent. The soap smell is gone by then, and what you get is a nice spicy woody finish, with tobacco and patchouli being the most prominent notes. There's vetiver in the drydown too, but it smells more like clove to me. I like this part of the scent very much.

Don't buy Open if you're looking for an 80s powerhouse, but if you want a dry, peppery aromatic fragrance that is well blended, has good sillage and lasts all day, Open is worth a try.

MY RATING: 8/10

03 June, 2011 (Last Edited: 07 June, 2011)