lisa16's avatar

Mandragore by Annick Goutal

This is my first review, and I am reviewing the EDP format.

In the past, I have not loved AG scents-- to me they seem like riffs on the classic cologne formulation-- and I have tried a great many. But Mandragore is different than it's brothers. I ordered a sample, not expecting to like it, and ended up ordering the biggest bottle available (the one with the butterfly) the very day I tried it.

It starts out in the usual AG way wth citrus topnotes, but it quickly morphs into a wonderful spicy, sophisticated scent that does not overwhelm. For me it has only these two phases. This is the scent to wear to the office-- it is subtle and beautiful, yet it will pull people nearby closer to you as they fall under its spell. It is a scent to fall in love with. It is unique-- you cannot pin it down the way you can with, say, fracas or joy or any guerlain. It is a quiet mystery for a secure and confident person. It does not shout, "Oh look-- here I am!" But it does whisper this.

True, it does not have the staying power it might (maybe spray some on hair and clothing, or layer with the soap,) and maybe its sillage is gentle-- but I bought it along with 30 or more samples, trying about 3 or 4 per day. I put it on it the am, and at the end of the day, wearing l'heure bleu for the first time (sample #3) and driving to the market, I caught a whiff of this on my shirt and knew that I would be buying it and ditching that particular guerlain.

19 June, 2011