jtd's avatar

Jean-Louis Scherrer by Jean-Louis Scherrer

(I have the edp)

Some very strong scents suggest wearing with restraint if not caution. Not Scherrer. This is the kind of heavy, bruiser of a green chypre that I just want to drench myself in. It is powerful and unashamed and urges me be likewise.

Sometimes my mind remembers Scherrer as almost pure oakmoss. But then I put it on again and the galbanum jumps up in front of me and the floral heart just shouts at me. This baby is loud but beautifully blended, with bitter fruity tartness (bergamot, mandarin?) and dark, spicy dry florals.

Scherrer is that uncommon, but thrilling reminder that seduction doesn’t always take place sotto voce, or catch you against your better judgement. Scherrer calls to you with full-throated come-ons and wants you to feel the enticement. Scherrer is more pick-up than courtship, more tryst than date.

11th February, 2011 (Last Edited: 25th June, 2011)