odysseusm's avatar

Trèfle Pur by Atelier Cologne

There are two aspects to my assessment: the scent itself (good) and the concept/name (misleading). Hence, I have a neutral vote.
    The scent itself is lovely: it is essentially a neroli-moss scent. The orange blossom notes are very well done. They convey orange zest, tree bark, floral notes... everything a person would want. There are mere hints of light herbs and greens. The scent deepens with spice and moss notes. The dry-down is mossy, gentle, classy, and very pleasing. The scent is not particularly original or distinctive, but it is very pleasant.
    However, I feel that the scent has a misleading name. Trefle means clover or shamrock in French. So when I see a scent titled, "Pure Clover" I expect a very green scent, with crunchy-leafy notes. Penhaligon's English Fern has moss and clover, and has that aspect. Diptyque's Eau de Lierre has an ivy note rather than clover but is the best example of the style of scent I feel this name implies. Particularly since Atelier has another orange blossom scent (Grand Neroli) I wonder why the theme is repeated so evidently here.
    In summary, the scent in and of itself is good; however, the name suggest something far greener than what I find.

07th July, 2011 (Last Edited: 14th July, 2011)