Redbeard's avatar

Kiehl's Original Musk by Kiehl's

This scent really forced me to think about how I approach the musk genre as a whole. I'd consider it unisex because the florals are more of the perfumey type than the soapy type. Initially there isn't much beyond alcohol, which for me masks whatever top notes there may be. The very sweet musk and rose (?) come through after a few minutes, but I'm surprised how weak it seems this time...maybe because I sprayed directly into a small spot on my shirt? Before, I remember it being strong and insistent, with a honey-like sweetness which to me usually brings a cloying quality. One of the notes has a cool sharpness, which cuts through and helps a lot with that issue, but also I believe it's the dreaded note that always bothers me and makes me think of wintergreen. My main concerns: is it too feminine because of the heavy sweetness, or masculine enough because of the spices and soapiness? Is musk in general so clearly identified with decades past that it will seem dated, no matter how it is tweaked? I fear that the musk genre is unpopular now because today's consumers have the same qualms with it as I do!

28th July, 2011