Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Ubar Woman by Amouage

I'm taking a detour from my sojourn into Italian fragrances by heading towards Oman with a few generous dabs of Amouage UBAR. Figuratively speaking of course, for in Ubar I found no reference to Middle Eastern styles of perfumery. Ubar is the 'lost' city after all.

The construct leans towards the classical, borrowing more than a few leaves from perfumes of legend but the fragrance itself does not smell dated. Nor vintage. Better noses than mine have deconstructed the fragrance symphony so I shall not go there. In fact, I'm not sure if I could have done it had I tried. Ubar reached in deep into my core, moving me in ways very few fragrances could. Smelling it for the first time was, for lack of a better descriptive, heartbreaking. It made me realize why the disappearance or reformulation of vintage classics causes so much grief to perfume lovers.

Ubar, as it is so aptly named, is a heartaching story of lost but never-to-be-forgotten splendor. If anyone is after an Amouage masterpiece, this is it.

01st August, 2011