alfarom's avatar

Red Vetyver by Montale

Let me say that as a vetiver lover and after all the fuss made bout this fragrance, my expectations when I approached Red Vetiver for the first time were maybe too high but, as a matter of fact, I've been disappointed. At the same time I see why this fragrance counts many supporters around.

Red Vetiver shares more than one single similarity with Terre D'Hermes (a fragrance I don't love). While they quite differ in the opening where Red Vetiver adds some extra richness to the simple formula peppery-citrus of TdH, and brings the unmistakeable Montale's hallmark with some (let's say) gourmandic hints, they become totally alike in the drydown. In this phase they share the same slight harshness, the same vetiver/woods combo, the same allure. I'm pretty sure that If you carefully look at them you'l be able to find more differencies and (maybe) prefer one over the other. Me? I didn't like the cheaper version (TdH) I don't see why I should like the expensier...

Tenacious lasting power and good projection (as usual in Montale's fragrances).

14 June, 2011 (Last Edited: 06 August, 2011)