blood-orange's avatar

Sarrasins by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Jasmine, is without a doubt one of my favourite scents. Especially when it has been freshly cut from the tree and placed in a vase. Many jasmine-based fragrances tend to add too many other components that ultimately destroy this fresh and delightful scent. Sarrasins, is in my opinion, the closest I have found to that true jasmine smell.

Opening as a rich, monster of a jasmine with a touch of sweetness, Sarrasins is by far one of the loudest florals I've ever encountered. While bright and fresh, Sarrasins tends to have a somewhat dark feel to it, almost in a gothic sense.

To my nose, Sarrasins isn't particularly modern, it has an old-fashioned and nostalgic presence. I see a mysterious woman, dressed in dark colours, with long, flowing hair, sending wafts of Sarrasins around her in a haze.

Despite Sarrasins darkness, it does have some brighter moments, especially with the introduction of the musk which softens the overall scent.

For some, the jasmine in Sarrasins may be too sweet and realistic. I personally love this fragrance, however it is a far cry from the creamy white florals that I'm used to.

The lasting strength is superb, as can be said for the sillage as well. For those that like me sought to find the perfect jasmine fragrance, Sarrasins is one that mustn't be ignored because of its price and availability.

24th September, 2011