msveronica9's avatar

Chimere by Prince Matchabelli

I used up a small bottle of this 'drugstore cheapie' in my late teens. While I couldn't recall the fragrance itself, the mere sight of Chimere's distinctive bottle sparked yearnings to smell it again.

So, I was very excited to get, as part of a job lot, a couple of mls of EDC in the original bottle! The scent was still fresh and instantly recognisable (but no particular memories from the '80s came flooding back, unfortunately).

Tourmaline was spot-on in her note description of Chimere, but my assessment of this fragrance is not so harsh. I don't mind that there's some sweetness to take the edge off the chypre accord. Chimere smells a little plasticky at first, but when that settles, the citrus notes come to the fore and are actually very nice against a background of patchouli and perhaps a touch of incense.

Overall, this is a subtle and quite pleasant fragrance which shouldn't embarrass you in public.

24 September, 2011