Thoughts from resident (I think) Doyenne.....

    Thoughts from resident (I think) Doyenne.....

    post #1 of 13
    Thread Starter 
    .....(I'm in my eighty first year...) I RULLY welcome this interesting discussion. Thanks Mo!!

    My first "serious" 'fume was Mama's Shalimar (now sadly diminished...in my never humble opinion) and I progressed through the "classics" through the years. A steady parade of Guerlains and Carons and Lancomes and other designers.

    Then - three years ago - I found Basenotes!! (fanfare here) and my whole world expanded.

    So now THIS old lady smells like candy floss (LAP Vanilia) or skanky closets (Kingdom) or ripe fruit (any of the figs) or the seashore (Lily Pulitzer Beachy) or a guy (Eau Sauvage) whilst still thrilling over the EBay find of - say - vintage Chamade or the BNer gift of - say - vintage Mitsuoko.

    All time fave is still Joy - pretty close to what she was when she debuted!!
    post #2 of 13
    Welcome, Taolady! We'll have some fun dishing over all manner of stuff...like, what does "Old Lady Perfume" even mean? What vintage classics have been nurtured through history, and which have been reformulated to the point of travesty? (Glares at House of Caron)

    I'm in vintage (1980s) Mitsouko today, myself. I smell DELIGHTFUL, if I do say so myself!
    post #3 of 13
    Hello there! Thanks so much for this discussion group. Looking forward to talking about all the "Old Lady" scents I've loved over the years and ones that are new to me that I'd like to explore.

    --Old Lady and glad of it!
    post #4 of 13
    I love a number of the big traditional feminine fragrances that I've heard called Old Lady smells - Joy (which my mother wore), chanel Number 5 (which my wife wore) and EL Beautiful (which her grandmother wore). I also wear a feminine that's been around for years - Balmain's Jolie Madame - but really find it more unisex. Any opinions on whether this counts as a Secdnt Of An Old woman?

    Thanks.
    post #5 of 13
    Hi there all! Greetings from South Africa. I'm 27 and love sticking my wrist spritzed with Bal a Versailles under people's noses to see them recoil! Other days, Tabu. You have NO idea how out there this is out here in Africa
    And may I use this forum, Taolady, to tell you how much I enjoy your reviews? Rock on sistah.
    post #6 of 13
    Hi - I am new here - I registered just so I could join this group. Up to now I have pretty much chosen one perfume that worked for me and stuck to it. The first I can remember was Perry Ellis [the original - the first perfume that firm put out - back when PE was alive and in charge], then Infini - which I loved, then Caleche, when it came out which I wore until 24 Fauborg, which I loved until recently when I bought a new bottle and did NOT like it. [The top notes especially are completely different]. That got me searching the web to find out what was happening to my old stand-bys - but it also introduced me to decants [which I had never heard of] - so now I have tried a lot more perfumes, esp niche ones which are hard to find.

    On and off I used Chanel - which brings me to my question. I'm hoping this is the perfect place to ask it. Before I spend a lot of money on something that's been changed, does No, 5 parfum still smell much like it used to? I hope someone knows. [cont]
    post #7 of 13
    Also - my memory might be playing tricks, but I thought No 18 was an old [maybe discontinued?] fragrance that they are now selling in their exclusive line. Is that true or am I wrong? I dont ever remember smelling it back in the day, but I tried it recently and found it nice, but very faint - almost non-existant - and fades quickly. I remember Chanel scents as long lasting and strong. I dont mean over-powering, but you didnt need to keep you wrist to your nose to smell them, if you know what I mean.

    Anyway, thanks for the help. I'm glad to have found some other people who love the vintage smells or perfume past. BTW - It's good to know that Joy is pretty much unchanged. I might get a bottle.
    post #8 of 13
    Welcome to our new "Old Ladies!"

    As to No5...I believe that most find the reformulations to be fairly subtle. However, I do recommend searching on ebay for "Vintage Chanel" and checking out the No5 extrait available. While most NEW No5 on ebay is FAKEFAKEFAKE, the vintage bottles tend to be an excellent deal. I got a half ounce bottle of extrait (actually, some was evaporated, so it was really a little less) for $30 and a 50 oz unopened bottle of splash EdT for $11! Both smell wonderful and are authentic as far as my nose and eyes can tell!

    I have a small decant of No18 from TPC. It's VERY sweet and linear to my nose. It's the only Chanel I really don't like, to be honest.
    post #9 of 13
    Hello, everyone. I am glad I found this group, because I seem to have a deep affinity for the scents you have described. I've been wearing Le De Givenchy, Joy . . . and so many other worthy grand dame perfumes since I was a young woman, and they bring me so much pleasure still. I look forward to reading and posting here!
    post #10 of 13
    What a wonderful idea! I must admit that I love and admire most the old classics which have withstood the test of time because they are wonderful or beautiful or compelling or all of these things. And thanks to Basenotes, I have tried some new fragrances that I feel will become classics in time. Today I am wearing Premier Fig, but yesterday I wore the glorious Mitsouko.
    post #11 of 13
    Taolady, I love your reviews. I get a very good sense of the fragrance when I read yours. Just thought I would give you some appreciation. I hope that in my eighties, my sense of smell will be as keen as yours seems to be. I am 56 and a lot of other stuff is fallin' by the wayside ;-).
    post #12 of 13
    Taolady, we are not worthy! My 57 years (45 spent in pursuit of HG) seem quite inadequate!

    A funny question - do you remember the release of Fidgi in an island-woman-shaped bottle (in extrait) in the late 50's - early 60's? I loved the scent (still do) and the bottle was so bizarre with her earrings and topknot!
    post #13 of 13
    "Joy" is wonderful but I really miss "Quadrille"..sob!
    class="

    10/11/09 at 7:47am

    TaoLady said:



    .....(I'm in my eighty first year...) I RULLY welcome this interesting discussion. Thanks Mo!!

    My first "serious" 'fume was Mama's Shalimar (now sadly diminished...in my never humble opinion) and I progressed through the "classics" through the years. A steady parade of Guerlains and Carons and Lancomes and other designers.

    Then - three years ago - I found Basenotes!! (fanfare here) and my whole world expanded.

    So now THIS old lady smells like candy floss (LAP Vanilia) or skanky closets (Kingdom) or ripe fruit (any of the figs) or the seashore (Lily Pulitzer Beachy) or a guy (Eau Sauvage) whilst still thrilling over the EBay find of - say - vintage Chamade or the BNer gift of - say - vintage Mitsuoko.

    All time fave is still Joy - pretty close to what she was when she debuted!!

    10/11/09 at 9:16am

    YouCanCallMeMo said:



    Welcome, Taolady! We'll have some fun dishing over all manner of stuff...like, what does "Old Lady Perfume" even mean? What vintage classics have been nurtured through history, and which have been reformulated to the point of travesty? (Glares at House of Caron)

    I'm in vintage (1980s) Mitsouko today, myself. I smell DELIGHTFUL, if I do say so myself!

    10/14/09 at 6:47am

    lilybelle said:



    Hello there! Thanks so much for this discussion group. Looking forward to talking about all the "Old Lady" scents I've loved over the years and ones that are new to me that I'd like to explore.

    --Old Lady and glad of it!

    10/14/09 at 10:13am

    ECaruthers said:



    I love a number of the big traditional feminine fragrances that I've heard called Old Lady smells - Joy (which my mother wore), chanel Number 5 (which my wife wore) and EL Beautiful (which her grandmother wore). I also wear a feminine that's been around for years - Balmain's Jolie Madame - but really find it more unisex. Any opinions on whether this counts as a Secdnt Of An Old woman?

    Thanks.

    10/16/09 at 6:36am

    hester said:



    Hi there all! Greetings from South Africa. I'm 27 and love sticking my wrist spritzed with Bal a Versailles under people's noses to see them recoil! Other days, Tabu. You have NO idea how out there this is out here in Africa
    And may I use this forum, Taolady, to tell you how much I enjoy your reviews? Rock on sistah.

    10/17/09 at 6:12pm

    Classics Lover said:



    Hi - I am new here - I registered just so I could join this group. Up to now I have pretty much chosen one perfume that worked for me and stuck to it. The first I can remember was Perry Ellis [the original - the first perfume that firm put out - back when PE was alive and in charge], then Infini - which I loved, then Caleche, when it came out which I wore until 24 Fauborg, which I loved until recently when I bought a new bottle and did NOT like it. [The top notes especially are completely different]. That got me searching the web to find out what was happening to my old stand-bys - but it also introduced me to decants [which I had never heard of] - so now I have tried a lot more perfumes, esp niche ones which are hard to find.

    On and off I used Chanel - which brings me to my question. I'm hoping this is the perfect place to ask it. Before I spend a lot of money on something that's been changed, does No, 5 parfum still smell much like it used to? I hope someone knows. [cont]

    10/17/09 at 6:13pm

    Classics Lover said:



    Also - my memory might be playing tricks, but I thought No 18 was an old [maybe discontinued?] fragrance that they are now selling in their exclusive line. Is that true or am I wrong? I dont ever remember smelling it back in the day, but I tried it recently and found it nice, but very faint - almost non-existant - and fades quickly. I remember Chanel scents as long lasting and strong. I dont mean over-powering, but you didnt need to keep you wrist to your nose to smell them, if you know what I mean.

    Anyway, thanks for the help. I'm glad to have found some other people who love the vintage smells or perfume past. BTW - It's good to know that Joy is pretty much unchanged. I might get a bottle.

    10/20/09 at 7:55am

    YouCanCallMeMo said:



    Welcome to our new "Old Ladies!"

    As to No5...I believe that most find the reformulations to be fairly subtle. However, I do recommend searching on ebay for "Vintage Chanel" and checking out the No5 extrait available. While most NEW No5 on ebay is FAKEFAKEFAKE, the vintage bottles tend to be an excellent deal. I got a half ounce bottle of extrait (actually, some was evaporated, so it was really a little less) for $30 and a 50 oz unopened bottle of splash EdT for $11! Both smell wonderful and are authentic as far as my nose and eyes can tell!

    I have a small decant of No18 from TPC. It's VERY sweet and linear to my nose. It's the only Chanel I really don't like, to be honest.

    10/23/09 at 11:41pm

    Leesee said:



    Hello, everyone. I am glad I found this group, because I seem to have a deep affinity for the scents you have described. I've been wearing Le De Givenchy, Joy . . . and so many other worthy grand dame perfumes since I was a young woman, and they bring me so much pleasure still. I look forward to reading and posting here!

    10/24/09 at 1:40pm

    vintage*red said:



    What a wonderful idea! I must admit that I love and admire most the old classics which have withstood the test of time because they are wonderful or beautiful or compelling or all of these things. And thanks to Basenotes, I have tried some new fragrances that I feel will become classics in time. Today I am wearing Premier Fig, but yesterday I wore the glorious Mitsouko.

    10/27/09 at 4:03am

    queen cupcake said:



    Taolady, I love your reviews. I get a very good sense of the fragrance when I read yours. Just thought I would give you some appreciation. I hope that in my eighties, my sense of smell will be as keen as yours seems to be. I am 56 and a lot of other stuff is fallin' by the wayside ;-).

    4/3/10 at 6:41am

    reine said:



    Taolady, we are not worthy! My 57 years (45 spent in pursuit of HG) seem quite inadequate!

    A funny question - do you remember the release of Fidgi in an island-woman-shaped bottle (in extrait) in the late 50's - early 60's? I loved the scent (still do) and the bottle was so bizarre with her earrings and topknot!

    4/7/10 at 12:32am

    Valerie said:



    "Joy" is wonderful but I really miss "Quadrille"..sob!