Suggestions for male frag's to wear by woman?

    Suggestions for male frag's to wear by woman?

    post #1 of 13
    Thread Starter 
    Hi vintage perfume-lovers! Can anyone here suggest some vintage fragrances that were meant for men and that might be wearable by a woman? Not that I am done seeking out the female vintage frag's but I do love the hunt, and often come across interesting ones "pour monsieur".
    post #2 of 13
    Hi Queen Cupcake... I'm not sure if this would classify as a "old" frag since it only dates back to 1981, but I tried Antaeus by Chanel a few days ago and it was great. Very woody...wonderful!
    post #3 of 13
    Oh, there are lots of them. Depends on your personal taste, of course, but I find Eau Sauvage, Chanel Pour Monsieur, Habit Rouge, Tabac, Guerlain Vetiver, Caron Pour un Homme and Aramis eminently wearable, for example, just to mention a few older masculines. I'm sure there are plenty more.
    post #4 of 13
    This is not a vintage but it is very nice: Tom Ford Extreme--very smoky and leathery.
    post #5 of 13
    My favorites:

    Caron Pour un Homme (Marlene Dietrich wore it!)
    Guerlain Derby (almost vintage by now)
    D'Orsay Le Dandy
    post #6 of 13
    Venezia Uomo. Very nice Oriental woody, Feminine. It's discontinued. I found it in a fragrance oil store.
    Terre D'Hermes
    post #7 of 13
    Portos by Balenciaga ,it's an incense type and a vintage.
    post #8 of 13
    Does unisex count? I suggest Caron's "Royal Bain". You may want to read Doctor Mod's review, which pretty much nails it. Except I give it a thumbs up.
    post #9 of 13
    Paco Rabanne XS: Spicy but it has feminine floral notes !!!
    post #10 of 13
    Just received five complimentary perfume samples from Hermes and four have a male vibe.
    post #11 of 13
    Knize Ten and I second Doctor Mod's suggestion for Pour Un Homme.
    post #12 of 13
    What a great question and some fabulous suggestions here, which I need to explore! I definitely need to branch out into some vintage 'fumes deemed "masculine" 'cause many of my fave current scents trend towards the unisex/masculine. Tom Ford's Tuscan Leather, for example, is my HG of reference leathers. 2 small sprays of that will last minimum 24 hours so the 30 ml decant I bought will probably last me a lifetime if I'm judicious about using some of it for trades. Suggestions for great "unisex/masculine" vintage leathers? (Have a feeling some of the ones already mentioned are probably leathers...gotta go do my homework!) The whole male/female marketing thing in perfume has come to seriously annoy me now that I've jumped down the rabbit hole of perfume collecting...if it smells good, it smells good.
    post #13 of 13
    Guerlain Heritage
    Lorenzo Villoresi's Spezie
    class="

    8/4/10 at 11:48am

    queen cupcake said:



    Hi vintage perfume-lovers! Can anyone here suggest some vintage fragrances that were meant for men and that might be wearable by a woman? Not that I am done seeking out the female vintage frag's but I do love the hunt, and often come across interesting ones "pour monsieur".

    8/5/10 at 8:53pm

    MaatMama said:



    Hi Queen Cupcake... I'm not sure if this would classify as a "old" frag since it only dates back to 1981, but I tried Antaeus by Chanel a few days ago and it was great. Very woody...wonderful!

    8/7/10 at 10:48am

    Pimpinett said:



    Oh, there are lots of them. Depends on your personal taste, of course, but I find Eau Sauvage, Chanel Pour Monsieur, Habit Rouge, Tabac, Guerlain Vetiver, Caron Pour un Homme and Aramis eminently wearable, for example, just to mention a few older masculines. I'm sure there are plenty more.

    8/7/10 at 5:57pm

    Ms Rochambeau said:



    This is not a vintage but it is very nice: Tom Ford Extreme--very smoky and leathery.

    8/17/10 at 11:09am

    Doctor Mod said:



    My favorites:

    Caron Pour un Homme (Marlene Dietrich wore it!)
    Guerlain Derby (almost vintage by now)
    D'Orsay Le Dandy

    8/21/10 at 1:47pm

    Guest said:



    Venezia Uomo. Very nice Oriental woody, Feminine. It's discontinued. I found it in a fragrance oil store.
    Terre D'Hermes

    9/7/10 at 6:48am

    Valerie said:



    Portos by Balenciaga ,it's an incense type and a vintage.

    9/7/10 at 10:27pm

    Madame du Barry said:



    Does unisex count? I suggest Caron's "Royal Bain". You may want to read Doctor Mod's review, which pretty much nails it. Except I give it a thumbs up.

    9/13/10 at 6:43am

    Guest said:



    Paco Rabanne XS: Spicy but it has feminine floral notes !!!

    9/17/10 at 3:25am

    minka said:



    Just received five complimentary perfume samples from Hermes and four have a male vibe.

    10/17/10 at 1:58pm

    GelbeDomino said:



    Knize Ten and I second Doctor Mod's suggestion for Pour Un Homme.

    3/3/11 at 4:23am

    bogsc said:



    What a great question and some fabulous suggestions here, which I need to explore! I definitely need to branch out into some vintage 'fumes deemed "masculine" 'cause many of my fave current scents trend towards the unisex/masculine. Tom Ford's Tuscan Leather, for example, is my HG of reference leathers. 2 small sprays of that will last minimum 24 hours so the 30 ml decant I bought will probably last me a lifetime if I'm judicious about using some of it for trades. Suggestions for great "unisex/masculine" vintage leathers? (Have a feeling some of the ones already mentioned are probably leathers...gotta go do my homework!) The whole male/female marketing thing in perfume has come to seriously annoy me now that I've jumped down the rabbit hole of perfume collecting...if it smells good, it smells good.

    4/2/11 at 11:48am

    Ms Rochambeau said:



    Guerlain Heritage
    Lorenzo Villoresi's Spezie