Tell us what you know: Miscellaneous

    Tell us what you know: Miscellaneous

    post #1 of 17
    Thread Starter 
    This is the place where you can discuss anything about vetiver essential oils in general or even the vetiver roots themselves.
    post #2 of 17
    Thread Starter 
    I’ve just come across the following website, which claims to be the only producer of Hawaiian vetiver oil:

    http://www.sunshinevetiveroil.com/Vetiver-Oil.html

    Unfortunately, samples aren’t available and to purchase 1oz worth of this oil would cost somewhere around $150 (that’s disregarding postage and the weight vs. volume issue). Ermm... No thanks!

    But, if anyone has tried this oil or has done business with them, please let us know!
    post #3 of 17
    Thread Starter 
    With the immense difficulty in getting hold of any essential oil specimens of Thai vetiver, I've recently been in touch with Eden Botanicals to ask if they would consider stocking it. They've passed my request onto to their suppliers, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

    If I hear anything, I'll let you know.
    post #4 of 17
    Thread Starter 
    A word of warning to anyone who purchased some Haitian vetiver essential oil from Olfactik, prior mid-February 2013 - the oil is actually Javanese!

    I ordered some and knew it wasn't Haitian straight away. After sending an e-mail, Olfactik soon replied that some confusion arose between them and their supplier, and confirmed my suspicions that it was of the Javanese variety. The website details have now been corrected accordingly.

    I was fully refunded but, if I didn't have much experience with vetiver essential oils, I would have been none the wiser.
    post #5 of 17
    post #6 of 17
    Thread Starter 
    ^^ Hey, edward t, many thanks for posting that. Cool!
    post #7 of 17
    You bet Trebor! I am planning on posting more pics when I decide to run the roots through the distillation column within the next few months (?). I want to make sure it is warm enough at night in Florida to be able to have the plant root after taking the main root mass off.
    post #8 of 17
    Thread Starter 
    post #9 of 17
    Thanks for those links.
    Will come back to you on anti-inflammatory, suspect improvement in skin irritation but a bit early to confirm, also very interested in the Staph Aureus connection (dogs).
    Anyone else?
    post #10 of 17


    post #11 of 17
    Nice pics. thx. - good luck!
    post #12 of 17
    post #13 of 17
    Wish we had your climate - good luck & let us know
    post #14 of 17

    Nice work Edward. Think I'm going to have to put up a polytunnel, but try explaining to the police that you want to grow a type of grass. Any more info? How did you go about it? Did you dry them before distilling? And, of course, what does it smell like?

    post #15 of 17

    Oh Yeah. Good luck on your endeavor with the polytunnel. I am not exactly sure what kind of Vetiver it is. I would like to find someone pretty knowledgeable on the various vetivers so I can know exactly what type it is.I am going to distill the rest of my plants shortly and split them up to start growing for next season. Maybe by that time I wil have figured out the new BN setup and be able to communicate with members better.

    post #16 of 17
    Thread Starter 

    Great stuff! thumbsup.gif

    post #17 of 17

    Edward - My only book on grasses is restricted to European ones, which is pretty ironic considering the trouble their pollen gives me when flowering.

    Identifying grasses manually is often tricky but, as with any flowering plant, seeing the flower helps.

    This is the best resource that I can think of - if you need further help, please let me know.

    Kew used to be happy to identify plant material, but it may be worth contacting them first these days and finding who is dealing with that specific area.

    http://apps.kew.org/ecbot/results?genus=Vetiveria

    Are there similar places in the USA?

    class="

    7/6/12 at 7:05am

    Trebor said:



    This is the place where you can discuss anything about vetiver essential oils in general or even the vetiver roots themselves.

    7/18/12 at 7:18am

    Trebor said:



    I’ve just come across the following website, which claims to be the only producer of Hawaiian vetiver oil:

    http://www.sunshinevetiveroil.com/Vetiver-Oil.html

    Unfortunately, samples aren’t available and to purchase 1oz worth of this oil would cost somewhere around $150 (that’s disregarding postage and the weight vs. volume issue). Ermm... No thanks!

    But, if anyone has tried this oil or has done business with them, please let us know!

    11/4/12 at 10:38am

    Trebor said:



    With the immense difficulty in getting hold of any essential oil specimens of Thai vetiver, I've recently been in touch with Eden Botanicals to ask if they would consider stocking it. They've passed my request onto to their suppliers, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

    If I hear anything, I'll let you know.

    2/15/13 at 5:28pm

    Trebor said:



    A word of warning to anyone who purchased some Haitian vetiver essential oil from Olfactik, prior mid-February 2013 - the oil is actually Javanese!

    I ordered some and knew it wasn't Haitian straight away. After sending an e-mail, Olfactik soon replied that some confusion arose between them and their supplier, and confirmed my suspicions that it was of the Javanese variety. The website details have now been corrected accordingly.

    I was fully refunded but, if I didn't have much experience with vetiver essential oils, I would have been none the wiser.

    3/16/13 at 11:27am

    edward t said:



    3/22/13 at 10:24am

    Trebor said:



    ^^ Hey, edward t, many thanks for posting that. Cool!

    3/23/13 at 8:54am

    edward t said:



    You bet Trebor! I am planning on posting more pics when I decide to run the roots through the distillation column within the next few months (?). I want to make sure it is warm enough at night in Florida to be able to have the plant root after taking the main root mass off.

    4/18/13 at 10:06am

    Trebor said:



    4/20/13 at 1:30pm

    lpp said:



    Thanks for those links.
    Will come back to you on anti-inflammatory, suspect improvement in skin irritation but a bit early to confirm, also very interested in the Staph Aureus connection (dogs).
    Anyone else?

    5/3/13 at 11:14am

    edward t said:





    5/3/13 at 11:18am

    lpp said:



    Nice pics. thx. - good luck!

    5/6/13 at 6:17pm

    edward t said:



    5/7/13 at 11:44am

    lpp said:



    Wish we had your climate - good luck & let us know

    5/17/13 at 4:31am

    AlHamr said:



    Nice work Edward. Think I'm going to have to put up a polytunnel, but try explaining to the police that you want to grow a type of grass. Any more info? How did you go about it? Did you dry them before distilling? And, of course, what does it smell like?

    6/5/13 at 7:12am

    edward t said:



    Oh Yeah. Good luck on your endeavor with the polytunnel. I am not exactly sure what kind of Vetiver it is. I would like to find someone pretty knowledgeable on the various vetivers so I can know exactly what type it is.I am going to distill the rest of my plants shortly and split them up to start growing for next season. Maybe by that time I wil have figured out the new BN setup and be able to communicate with members better.

    6/20/13 at 8:39am

    Trebor said:



    Great stuff! thumbsup.gif

    6/22/13 at 5:33am

    lpp said:



    Edward - My only book on grasses is restricted to European ones, which is pretty ironic considering the trouble their pollen gives me when flowering.

    Identifying grasses manually is often tricky but, as with any flowering plant, seeing the flower helps.

    This is the best resource that I can think of - if you need further help, please let me know.

    Kew used to be happy to identify plant material, but it may be worth contacting them first these days and finding who is dealing with that specific area.

    http://apps.kew.org/ecbot/results?genus=Vetiveria

    Are there similar places in the USA?





Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000