Sampling Niche Fragrances

    Sampling Niche Fragrances

    post #1 of 34
    Thread Starter 
    Do you sample a variety of niche fragrances before shelling out the money to purchase one? Or do you rely on recommendations from people and blind buy your fragrances? How long does it take you to sample a niche fragrance before buying one?
    post #2 of 34

    Due to the prices, I sample niche fragrances before purchasing.

    post #3 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zero7786 View Post

    Do you sample a variety of niche fragrances before shelling out the money to purchase one? Or do you rely on recommendations from people and blind buy your fragrances? How long does it take you to sample a niche fragrance before buying one?


    I see to it that I always sample expensive fragrances. If I immediately like the scent, it usually takes me at least two or three wearings to test the longevity. Doesn't necessarily mean that I'm going to purchase it. My main motivation for sampling is the experience.

     

    3872

    post #4 of 34

    A lot of sampling. Having access to stores with a broad selection (eg New York) is almost a necessity. 

     

    I had read the Turin Sanchez book before, so I had a list of what to sample. The first one I got almost right away, so interesting was it. But then I took the time to smell a couple of dozens at least before moving to the second purchase. And then I kept smelling more and more.

     

    cacio

    post #5 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zero7786 View Post

    Do you sample a variety of niche fragrances before shelling out the money to purchase one?

    No, I just buy it blindly if I want it in my collection.


    Edited by hednic - 5/16/13 at 9:41pm
    post #6 of 34
    I always sample first. When I was getting into this hobby, I often ordered around 20 samples at a time from luckyscent. Doing this probably saved me a lot of cash in the long run.
    post #7 of 34

    I'm lucky enough to live someplace with good access to niche, so I always sample if possible. And I usually know pretty quickly if I want to buy something, but I try and at least finish a sample and wait a couple of weeks to be sure that I really want it. 

    post #8 of 34

    I'm fortunate to have easy access for sampling, but I'll blind buy some too. It's not all that expensive, and some cost less than designer.

    post #9 of 34

    Being in Canada a lot of the times the shipping prices throw me off of ordering samples so when it comes to niches that I can't smell in person, I do a lot of research and dabble in the dangerous and exhilerating sport of blind-buying. I know why I shouldn't (and I can't really afford to hate a fragrance), but I still do it anyways.

    post #10 of 34
    Sample always.
    post #11 of 34

    Unless you have more money than you know what to do with, sample first. Order samples of what you are interested in and go through your sample. Once you start sampling you will most likely find multiple scents you love and want to own and you will see how expensive it would be to buy full bottles of all of them.

     

    Another option is to buy a decant after you finish your sample if you are sure you want to own the scent. I personally recommend doing that as you are starting out, because no doubt you are going to find plenty of things you love and want to wear. I just ordered 2 decants from Surrender to Chance. One cost me $26 and the other cost me about $19. Since I am wearing a lot of different things these days as I sample, I know it will take me a long time to work through my decants. So I spent $45 on the decants, whereas a full bottle of just one of those scents would have set me back over $100 and who knows how many years it would take me to finish. For that same price I can have multiple decants to enjoy. Once I finish a decant, then it might be a sign to buy the full bottle.

    post #12 of 34

    I buy blind more often than not.

    post #13 of 34

    I usually flit between a few stores testing or getting samples and always much more than I want to purchase on the day. When I have made my choices for the day, I already have a good idea what I will be buying on my next expedition. I don't buy blind. In desperation, one time it happened -- it was Chevalier by D'Orsay (I think all the reviews were positive on BN). I moved it on quickly though -- didn't work for me. Never buy on someone else's say-so.

    post #14 of 34

    I hope I'm not hijacking this thread but I have a similar question.

     

    Do stores like Barney's, Saks, or Neimans give out (or sell) samples of niche fragrances? I was thinking about hitting a few stores this weekend. 

    post #15 of 34
    Never rely on someone else's opinion. Just use it as a basic idea of what you could expect. Especially if there are many people saying the same thing.

    Then if that sounds I like its up your alley, go somewhere and give it a sniff. Otherwise, if you have a strong desire to try something based on what you've read and you absurdly can't find it locally, order a sample.

    Opinions are like you know what smile.gif
    post #16 of 34
    If I blind buy something now, it's something that I can trade away for something else of similar value if I don't like it. Especially if I get a good price for it.

    I blind bought chergui the other day. It was deeply discounted. If I like it, I have a great scent at a cheap price. If not, it's popular enough where I can trade for something that's the same price, I may lose a few bucks in shipping tops
    post #17 of 34

    They do, but they don't just hand them out. It helps to have a sense of what you're looking for and perhaps try to narrow it down for them.

    post #18 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1adam12 View Post

    I hope I'm not hijacking this thread but I have a similar question.

    Do stores like Barney's, Saks, or Neimans give out (or sell) samples of niche fragrances? I was thinking about hitting a few stores this weekend. 

    I have gotten many samples from all three of the stores you mention.
    postclass="

    5/16/13 at 7:48pm

    zero7786 said:



    Do you sample a variety of niche fragrances before shelling out the money to purchase one? Or do you rely on recommendations from people and blind buy your fragrances? How long does it take you to sample a niche fragrance before buying one?

    5/16/13 at 7:56pm

    sjg3839 said:



    Due to the prices, I sample niche fragrances before purchasing.

    5/16/13 at 8:01pm

    del said:



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zero7786 View Post

    Do you sample a variety of niche fragrances before shelling out the money to purchase one? Or do you rely on recommendations from people and blind buy your fragrances? How long does it take you to sample a niche fragrance before buying one?


    I see to it that I always sample expensive fragrances. If I immediately like the scent, it usually takes me at least two or three wearings to test the longevity. Doesn't necessarily mean that I'm going to purchase it. My main motivation for sampling is the experience.

     

    3872

    5/16/13 at 8:28pm

    cacio said:



    A lot of sampling. Having access to stores with a broad selection (eg New York) is almost a necessity. 

     

    I had read the Turin Sanchez book before, so I had a list of what to sample. The first one I got almost right away, so interesting was it. But then I took the time to smell a couple of dozens at least before moving to the second purchase. And then I kept smelling more and more.

     

    cacio

    5/16/13 at 9:22pm

    hednic said:



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zero7786 View Post

    Do you sample a variety of niche fragrances before shelling out the money to purchase one?

    No, I just buy it blindly if I want it in my collection.


    Edited by hednic - 5/16/13 at 9:41pm

    5/16/13 at 9:27pm

    JiveHippo said:



    I always sample first. When I was getting into this hobby, I often ordered around 20 samples at a time from luckyscent. Doing this probably saved me a lot of cash in the long run.

    5/16/13 at 9:30pm

    Kagey said:



    I'm lucky enough to live someplace with good access to niche, so I always sample if possible. And I usually know pretty quickly if I want to buy something, but I try and at least finish a sample and wait a couple of weeks to be sure that I really want it. 

    5/16/13 at 10:32pm

    deadidol said:



    I'm fortunate to have easy access for sampling, but I'll blind buy some too. It's not all that expensive, and some cost less than designer.

    5/16/13 at 11:01pm

    VintagePoison said:



    Being in Canada a lot of the times the shipping prices throw me off of ordering samples so when it comes to niches that I can't smell in person, I do a lot of research and dabble in the dangerous and exhilerating sport of blind-buying. I know why I shouldn't (and I can't really afford to hate a fragrance), but I still do it anyways.

    5/16/13 at 11:07pm

    kimo said:



    Sample always.

    5/17/13 at 6:36am

    ErinK said:



    Unless you have more money than you know what to do with, sample first. Order samples of what you are interested in and go through your sample. Once you start sampling you will most likely find multiple scents you love and want to own and you will see how expensive it would be to buy full bottles of all of them.

     

    Another option is to buy a decant after you finish your sample if you are sure you want to own the scent. I personally recommend doing that as you are starting out, because no doubt you are going to find plenty of things you love and want to wear. I just ordered 2 decants from Surrender to Chance. One cost me $26 and the other cost me about $19. Since I am wearing a lot of different things these days as I sample, I know it will take me a long time to work through my decants. So I spent $45 on the decants, whereas a full bottle of just one of those scents would have set me back over $100 and who knows how many years it would take me to finish. For that same price I can have multiple decants to enjoy. Once I finish a decant, then it might be a sign to buy the full bottle.

    5/17/13 at 7:54am

    juanderer said:



    I buy blind more often than not.

    5/17/13 at 8:22am

    Kaern said:



    I usually flit between a few stores testing or getting samples and always much more than I want to purchase on the day. When I have made my choices for the day, I already have a good idea what I will be buying on my next expedition. I don't buy blind. In desperation, one time it happened -- it was Chevalier by D'Orsay (I think all the reviews were positive on BN). I moved it on quickly though -- didn't work for me. Never buy on someone else's say-so.

    5/17/13 at 4:11pm

    1adam12 said:



    I hope I'm not hijacking this thread but I have a similar question.

     

    Do stores like Barney's, Saks, or Neimans give out (or sell) samples of niche fragrances? I was thinking about hitting a few stores this weekend. 

    5/17/13 at 5:25pm

    aphexacid said:



    Never rely on someone else's opinion. Just use it as a basic idea of what you could expect. Especially if there are many people saying the same thing.

    Then if that sounds I like its up your alley, go somewhere and give it a sniff. Otherwise, if you have a strong desire to try something based on what you've read and you absurdly can't find it locally, order a sample.

    Opinions are like you know what smile.gif

    5/17/13 at 6:10pm

    mtheory8 said:



    If I blind buy something now, it's something that I can trade away for something else of similar value if I don't like it. Especially if I get a good price for it.

    I blind bought chergui the other day. It was deeply discounted. If I like it, I have a great scent at a cheap price. If not, it's popular enough where I can trade for something that's the same price, I may lose a few bucks in shipping tops

    5/17/13 at 8:48pm

    deadidol said:



    They do, but they don't just hand them out. It helps to have a sense of what you're looking for and perhaps try to narrow it down for them.

    5/17/13 at 11:00pm

    chili_willi said:



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1adam12 View Post

    I hope I'm not hijacking this thread but I have a similar question.

    Do stores like Barney's, Saks, or Neimans give out (or sell) samples of niche fragrances? I was thinking about hitting a few stores this weekend. 

    I have gotten many samples from all three of the stores you mention.