What is the most super concentrated form of Frankincense?

    What is the most super concentrated form of Frankincense?

    post #1 of 9
    Thread Starter 

    I am creating an incense in which I want Frankincense to be the dominant scent. Other ingredient in the incense, however, are crowding out the Frankincense scent. These other ingredients are essential to the formula and cannot be omitted.

     

    I believe that in the original incense formula that the creators somehow intensified the Frankincense aroma but the method has been lost to history.

     

    I am looking for both a natural and synthetic Frankincense concentrate for the two different version of my incense. 

     

    I tried Frankincense essential oil and also CO2 but I need something stronger.

     

    Does a SUPER, super concentrated form of Frankincense exist? 

    post #2 of 9

    Harold might know this. Harold is the guy who owns www.Alchemy-Works.com/ he makes incenses sells them sells frankincense etc ask him via email he is very helpful.

    Site called www.scents-of-earth.com/ they sell various types of frankincense.

    post #3 of 9

    I may be missing the point here, but why can't you just use more frankincense?

    post #4 of 9
    Thread Starter 

    I am attempting to replicate an ancient formula which consisted of only four specific ingredients which must be of equal weight. The last ingredient was to be the dominant scent. The last of the four ingredients was frankincense. 

     

    Evidently the apothecaries of Egypt had the knowledge of how to produce a concentrated form of Frankincense which we do not possess today. 

     

    I am aware of frankincense essential oil and also CO2 oil. I have not yet tried the frankincense absolute or concrete in the incense. 

     

    I purchased some natural frankincense incense from India which was incredibly strong. I don't know what they used but it has me wondering if they have some sort of super concentrated frankincense.

    post #5 of 9

    (If it is in one of the Mathers books his translations are incomplete things where left out because they where not deemed fit for public reading in those times when his books got published .) If you are trying for an incense of that time era maybe frankincense then had /was of better quality. These days is overharvested etc maybe they back then had better stronger quality. I was thinking for burning incense best avoid synthetic stuff because that is no good for your airways/lungs.

    post #6 of 9

    When you say you are making "incense", what form of incense do you mean? Sticks? Cones? I wonder if your ancient formula refers to raw, unprocessed materials rather than products like essential oils (I don't think the ancient Egyptians were distilling frankincense - correct me if I'm wrong...) Incense can mean just the natural frankincense "tears" as they come from the tree. 

     

    Anyway, in my experience the essential oil is more intense / powerful than the CO2 or Resinoid. I never tried the absolute but I'd guess it would be a gentler, more subdued scent (but probably longer lasting than the essential oil).

    post #7 of 9
    Thread Starter 

    The walls of Edfu contain information concerning how to boil down and concentrate the incense ingredients. They were boiled, mixed, aged and probably other techniques used which we have no way of verifying today. The Egyptians were highly advanced in many areas.

     

    The type of incense I am making is made from the raw incense material and then I try to assimilate some of the techniques discovered in ancient Egyptian writings.

     

    Although they were not trying to duplicate the Egyptians I believe the ancient Israelites were heavily influenced by them. They made an incense which was formed "after the art of the apothecary." But WHAT apothecary? The Israelites were slaves and the only apothecary was Egyptian. I believe they used Egyptian techniques MINUS steps which would include worship to another God (IE using honey in the recipe).

     

    I also believe there was a first and second Temple incense. The first Temple incense consisted of four ingredients and the second Temple incense consisted of 11 ingredients.

     

    The first Temple incense, the one which I have created but am trying to further tweak, consists of equal parts of Stacte (Myrrh saturated in benzoin), Onycha (Labdanum), Galbanum, and pure Frankincense. This is found in the 30th chapter of the book of Exodus in the Holy Scriptures of the Judaic and Christian faiths.

     

    I believe that the "pure Frankincense" to which the first three ingredients were added was a very concentrated form of Frankincense which was the prominent aroma in the incense.

     

    NOW what I need to discover is how to make or purchase such a Frankincense.

    post #8 of 9

    You might try Enfleurage in NYC.  They have some of the finest exotic EOs.  Trygve Harris, the owner,  now lives in Oman and is a world traveler, going places most of us can only dream of.  She actually GOES to the places that she sources many of the oils from and has written extensively over many years about her travels and encounters.  I think you can trust that she knows Frankincense, Myrrh and Oud inside and out, and that her company's Frankincense will be some of the finest available.  Enfleurage also has a blog and Trygve has her own very interesting blog in which you may find to be an invaluable resource.

     

    Perhaps you can even contact them or her personally to find out what you need to know.

     

     

    http://www.enfleurage.com/products/Frankincense.html

     

     

    http://www.absolutetrygve.com/

    post #9 of 9

    Of Course, Frankincense EO is all over the place for percentages of constituents.

    One of which being Limonene, which is a topnote of course.

     

    But by the processing that you mention, boiling, etc...  presumably in anything as perfect as a sealed glass container, these higher volatiles would evaporate out.  This would leave you with more "concentrated" Frankincense, if you will.  You could accomplish a similar task by leaving the cap off a bottle of Frank for a few days, occasionally stirring it,  and use what is left.  This would in essence be a fractionalization of the EO, by taking off the topnotes.

     

    I believe that the resinoid and the resinoid are probably basically the same thing.

     

    I like the deeper Frank odor profile from the Resinoid.  I get mine from Nemat International, maybe you'll like it too?

    class="

    6/3/13 at 11:22am

    FireSurfer said:



    I am creating an incense in which I want Frankincense to be the dominant scent. Other ingredient in the incense, however, are crowding out the Frankincense scent. These other ingredients are essential to the formula and cannot be omitted.

     

    I believe that in the original incense formula that the creators somehow intensified the Frankincense aroma but the method has been lost to history.

     

    I am looking for both a natural and synthetic Frankincense concentrate for the two different version of my incense. 

     

    I tried Frankincense essential oil and also CO2 but I need something stronger.

     

    Does a SUPER, super concentrated form of Frankincense exist? 

    6/3/13 at 11:56am

    BelleBeryl said:



    Harold might know this. Harold is the guy who owns www.Alchemy-Works.com/ he makes incenses sells them sells frankincense etc ask him via email he is very helpful.

    Site called www.scents-of-earth.com/ they sell various types of frankincense.

    6/3/13 at 12:35pm

    Renegade said:



    I may be missing the point here, but why can't you just use more frankincense?

    6/3/13 at 1:02pm

    FireSurfer said:



    I am attempting to replicate an ancient formula which consisted of only four specific ingredients which must be of equal weight. The last ingredient was to be the dominant scent. The last of the four ingredients was frankincense. 

     

    Evidently the apothecaries of Egypt had the knowledge of how to produce a concentrated form of Frankincense which we do not possess today. 

     

    I am aware of frankincense essential oil and also CO2 oil. I have not yet tried the frankincense absolute or concrete in the incense. 

     

    I purchased some natural frankincense incense from India which was incredibly strong. I don't know what they used but it has me wondering if they have some sort of super concentrated frankincense.

    6/3/13 at 1:58pm

    BelleBeryl said:



    (If it is in one of the Mathers books his translations are incomplete things where left out because they where not deemed fit for public reading in those times when his books got published .) If you are trying for an incense of that time era maybe frankincense then had /was of better quality. These days is overharvested etc maybe they back then had better stronger quality. I was thinking for burning incense best avoid synthetic stuff because that is no good for your airways/lungs.

    6/3/13 at 2:25pm

    Renegade said:



    When you say you are making "incense", what form of incense do you mean? Sticks? Cones? I wonder if your ancient formula refers to raw, unprocessed materials rather than products like essential oils (I don't think the ancient Egyptians were distilling frankincense - correct me if I'm wrong...) Incense can mean just the natural frankincense "tears" as they come from the tree. 

     

    Anyway, in my experience the essential oil is more intense / powerful than the CO2 or Resinoid. I never tried the absolute but I'd guess it would be a gentler, more subdued scent (but probably longer lasting than the essential oil).

    6/3/13 at 5:05pm

    FireSurfer said:



    The walls of Edfu contain information concerning how to boil down and concentrate the incense ingredients. They were boiled, mixed, aged and probably other techniques used which we have no way of verifying today. The Egyptians were highly advanced in many areas.

     

    The type of incense I am making is made from the raw incense material and then I try to assimilate some of the techniques discovered in ancient Egyptian writings.

     

    Although they were not trying to duplicate the Egyptians I believe the ancient Israelites were heavily influenced by them. They made an incense which was formed "after the art of the apothecary." But WHAT apothecary? The Israelites were slaves and the only apothecary was Egyptian. I believe they used Egyptian techniques MINUS steps which would include worship to another God (IE using honey in the recipe).

     

    I also believe there was a first and second Temple incense. The first Temple incense consisted of four ingredients and the second Temple incense consisted of 11 ingredients.

     

    The first Temple incense, the one which I have created but am trying to further tweak, consists of equal parts of Stacte (Myrrh saturated in benzoin), Onycha (Labdanum), Galbanum, and pure Frankincense. This is found in the 30th chapter of the book of Exodus in the Holy Scriptures of the Judaic and Christian faiths.

     

    I believe that the "pure Frankincense" to which the first three ingredients were added was a very concentrated form of Frankincense which was the prominent aroma in the incense.

     

    NOW what I need to discover is how to make or purchase such a Frankincense.

    6/6/13 at 11:05am

    Nymphaea said:



    You might try Enfleurage in NYC.  They have some of the finest exotic EOs.  Trygve Harris, the owner,  now lives in Oman and is a world traveler, going places most of us can only dream of.  She actually GOES to the places that she sources many of the oils from and has written extensively over many years about her travels and encounters.  I think you can trust that she knows Frankincense, Myrrh and Oud inside and out, and that her company's Frankincense will be some of the finest available.  Enfleurage also has a blog and Trygve has her own very interesting blog in which you may find to be an invaluable resource.

     

    Perhaps you can even contact them or her personally to find out what you need to know.

     

     

    http://www.enfleurage.com/products/Frankincense.html

     

     

    http://www.absolutetrygve.com/

    6/6/13 at 4:12pm

    pkiler said:



    Of Course, Frankincense EO is all over the place for percentages of constituents.

    One of which being Limonene, which is a topnote of course.

     

    But by the processing that you mention, boiling, etc...  presumably in anything as perfect as a sealed glass container, these higher volatiles would evaporate out.  This would leave you with more "concentrated" Frankincense, if you will.  You could accomplish a similar task by leaving the cap off a bottle of Frank for a few days, occasionally stirring it,  and use what is left.  This would in essence be a fractionalization of the EO, by taking off the topnotes.

     

    I believe that the resinoid and the resinoid are probably basically the same thing.

     

    I like the deeper Frank odor profile from the Resinoid.  I get mine from Nemat International, maybe you'll like it too?