How do you coumarin?

    How do you coumarin?

    post #1 of 10
    Thread Starter 
    Hi everyone,

    Please could anyone help me make a coumarin solution to use? I have the solid material and am useless in how to transform it to a usable liquid form regarding its solubility.

    Any help would be much appreciated.

    James
    post #2 of 10

    10% in solvent like perfumers alcohol, DPG, IPM works just fine.

    post #3 of 10

    I've found the coumarin in a 10% solution in alcohol will drop out at winter temperatures (not even refrigerated) which is annoying. I would be interested to know if DPG is any better in that regard?

    A 1% solution in alcohol is fine though, and for me easier to work with anyway in terms of odour strength (when working with most other things at 10%).I don't know if it's just me but I find the tiniest amount of coumarin can have a dramatic effect in a fragrance.

    post #4 of 10

    10.0% in DPG should be fine.

    post #5 of 10
    Thread Starter 
    Cool, thanks everyone.

    Would you leave it a day or two before using or will it emulsify straight away?
    post #6 of 10

    It will dissolve rather than emulsify in either ethanol or DPG and once it's in solution you can use it right away. You may find it takes rather a lot of stirring to get into solution in DPG though.

    post #7 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris BartlettView Post

    It will dissolve rather than emulsify in either ethanol or DPG and once it's in solution you can use it right away. You may find it takes rather a lot of stirring to get into solution in DPG though.


    I just got some crystals today and only have Perfumers Alcohol. Searching for dilute % information turned up @ between 1% and 8%. I was thinking of trying @ 5%.

    Now reading this (now why did I not look in here first) I'm hesitant.

    Would it be better to go straight down to 1% perhaps? Please anyone?

    post #8 of 10

    You can always dilute something more after.

    But if David and a lot of people use it at 10%, then either 10% or 5% would be convenient to measure.

    I'd say it depends somewhat on how much you plan to use, and the resulting amount of liquid. It coumarin is a minor ingredient, a higher dilution would make more sense in that regard.

    post #9 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pickledtinkView Post

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris BartlettView Post

    It will dissolve rather than emulsify in either ethanol or DPG and once it's in solution you can use it right away. You may find it takes rather a lot of stirring to get into solution in DPG though.


    I just got some crystals today and only have Perfumers Alcohol. Searching for dilute % information turned up @ between 1% and 8%. I was thinking of trying @ 5%.

    Now reading this (now why did I not look in here first) I'm hesitant.

    Would it be better to go straight down to 1% perhaps? Please anyone?

    If your Perfumer's Alcohol contains, as it likely does, some IPM and DPG or PG then there is a good chance you won't experience any problems with re-crystalisation at 10% anyway. I rarely find it a problem personally even when my perfumery is quite cold overnight as it was for much of the last winter. If you are concerned about that, try 5% instead. For myself I don't find coumarin one of those things that is so easy to overdose that it needs to be at 1%, but as ever, opinion varies.

    post #10 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris BartlettView Post

    If your Perfumer's Alcohol contains, as it likely does, some IPM and DPG or PG then there is a good chance you won't experience any problems with re-crystalisation at 10% anyway. I rarely find it a problem personally even when my perfumery is quite cold overnight as it was for much of the last winter. If you are concerned about that, try 5% instead. For myself I don't find coumarin one of those things that is so easy to overdose that it needs to be at 1%, but as ever, opinion varies.


    Thanks Chris. Yes it does. It's from Mistral - on your recommendation I believe.

    For me as a complete Novice I'll go for 5%.

    class="

    6/3/13 at 1:50pm

    cookingwine said:



    Hi everyone,

    Please could anyone help me make a coumarin solution to use? I have the solid material and am useless in how to transform it to a usable liquid form regarding its solubility.

    Any help would be much appreciated.

    James

    6/3/13 at 4:09pm

    wooznib said:



    10% in solvent like perfumers alcohol, DPG, IPM works just fine.

    6/3/13 at 4:57pm

    Renegade said:



    I've found the coumarin in a 10% solution in alcohol will drop out at winter temperatures (not even refrigerated) which is annoying. I would be interested to know if DPG is any better in that regard?

    A 1% solution in alcohol is fine though, and for me easier to work with anyway in terms of odour strength (when working with most other things at 10%).I don't know if it's just me but I find the tiniest amount of coumarin can have a dramatic effect in a fragrance.

    6/4/13 at 12:45am

    David Ruskin said:



    10.0% in DPG should be fine.

    6/4/13 at 4:43am

    cookingwine said:



    Cool, thanks everyone.

    Would you leave it a day or two before using or will it emulsify straight away?

    6/4/13 at 10:34am

    Chris Bartlett said:



    It will dissolve rather than emulsify in either ethanol or DPG and once it's in solution you can use it right away. You may find it takes rather a lot of stirring to get into solution in DPG though.

    6/4/13 at 10:53am

    pickledtink said:



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris BartlettView Post

    It will dissolve rather than emulsify in either ethanol or DPG and once it's in solution you can use it right away. You may find it takes rather a lot of stirring to get into solution in DPG though.


    I just got some crystals today and only have Perfumers Alcohol. Searching for dilute % information turned up @ between 1% and 8%. I was thinking of trying @ 5%.

    Now reading this (now why did I not look in here first) I'm hesitant.

    Would it be better to go straight down to 1% perhaps? Please anyone?

    6/6/13 at 4:24am

    DrSmellThis said:



    You can always dilute something more after.

    But if David and a lot of people use it at 10%, then either 10% or 5% would be convenient to measure.

    I'd say it depends somewhat on how much you plan to use, and the resulting amount of liquid. It coumarin is a minor ingredient, a higher dilution would make more sense in that regard.

    6/6/13 at 10:28am

    Chris Bartlett said:



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pickledtinkView Post

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris BartlettView Post

    It will dissolve rather than emulsify in either ethanol or DPG and once it's in solution you can use it right away. You may find it takes rather a lot of stirring to get into solution in DPG though.


    I just got some crystals today and only have Perfumers Alcohol. Searching for dilute % information turned up @ between 1% and 8%. I was thinking of trying @ 5%.

    Now reading this (now why did I not look in here first) I'm hesitant.

    Would it be better to go straight down to 1% perhaps? Please anyone?

    If your Perfumer's Alcohol contains, as it likely does, some IPM and DPG or PG then there is a good chance you won't experience any problems with re-crystalisation at 10% anyway. I rarely find it a problem personally even when my perfumery is quite cold overnight as it was for much of the last winter. If you are concerned about that, try 5% instead. For myself I don't find coumarin one of those things that is so easy to overdose that it needs to be at 1%, but as ever, opinion varies.

    6/7/13 at 8:51am

    pickledtink said:



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris BartlettView Post

    If your Perfumer's Alcohol contains, as it likely does, some IPM and DPG or PG then there is a good chance you won't experience any problems with re-crystalisation at 10% anyway. I rarely find it a problem personally even when my perfumery is quite cold overnight as it was for much of the last winter. If you are concerned about that, try 5% instead. For myself I don't find coumarin one of those things that is so easy to overdose that it needs to be at 1%, but as ever, opinion varies.


    Thanks Chris. Yes it does. It's from Mistral - on your recommendation I believe.

    For me as a complete Novice I'll go for 5%.





Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000