Hey fellow Basenoters!
I'm a newbie here on Basenotes so forgive me if this seems like a bad question. What perfume(s) come to mind when you think of a synthetic or cloying scent? Aren't all perfumes synthetic to a degree? And especially since IFRA came along and forced perfume houses to reformulate their perfumes. Is Iso E Super present in all alcohol-based perfumes or just the "synthetic" ones? Two perfumes I came across recently that I like a lot are Bogart Pour Homme and Boucheron Jaipur Homme edp. I've read on Basenotes that Bogart PH smells synthetic and Jaipur is cloying. Please elaborate on this. As I explore the world's perfumes, I'm trying to separate the great ones from the average or terrible ones. That would be a vital part of my "nose training" if I could learn what synthetic and cloying meant to perfume enthusiasts.
My top 5 (so far!):
1. Carven Homme-bring it back!
2. Guerlain LIDGE-WAY better then T.M.'s A*MEN
3. Tom Ford Noir de Noir-special occasion kind of juice
4. Perry Ellis 360 Red-cheap yes, but better then ADG and lasts all day
5. (tie) Tiffany for Men and Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree-they're both great!
Cheers to all