A Comedy (or Tragedy?) of Errors

    A Comedy (or Tragedy?) of Errors

    post #1 of 10
    Thread Starter 
    Sometimes I do really stupid things.

    My intentions are good, but I mess up. For example, at the San Francisco Basenoters' Meet-Up last Saturday, ROtto very kindly gave me a sample of Pascal Morabito Or Black, a scent I've been curious about for a long time. Well, I've spent the past couple of days sniffing it on my hand, and I finally decided to pop for it.

    So I went online to the Morabito website, and I ordered it. Or rather, I thought I ordered it. What I actually did, through some colossal inadvertence, was order Or Noir, the feminine version, which I've never smelled, and (of course) isn't the one I want. But I didn't discover the mistake until a couple of minutes later, when I looked at the order confirmation email.

    So, I sent them a message:

    Pardon! Je me suis trompé en commandant Or Noir. Ce que je voulais commander c'est la version masculine Or Black, au même prix, mais de 100 ml.

    Est-ce que vous pourriez changer la commande pour assurer que je recevrai la version correcte?
    Je vous serai très reconnaissant.

    Et si ce n'est pas un grand problème, est-ce que vous pourriez me faire savoir que vous avez fait la correction en répondant à ce message? Merci encore.


    [In English: Pardon me. I made a mistake in ordering Or Noir. What I meant to order was the men's version Or Black, at the same price, but in 100 ml. Could you please change the order to make sure that I get the right one? I would be very grateful. And if it's not too much trouble, could you let me know that you made the correction by replying to this message? Thanks again.]

    OK, I thought, now we're cool. Only then I see that I put down the wrong zip code for the billing address, so I send the right zip code in another email, and I assure them that the zip code on the delivery address is correct. I add:

    Quelle horreur! Excusez -moi ces erreurs, je vous ai fait trop de problèmes. Je suis désolé... Je vous prie de ne pas m'en vouloir.

    [English: How terrible! Forgive me for these mistakes. I'm causing you a lot of problems. I'm very sorry. Please don't hold them against me.]

    Great! Now everything is cool... Except, I didn't give them the order number, so how are they going to be able to correct the order? And so out goes email number three:

    Dans mes autres messages, il s'agit de la commande Order # xxxx du 29-09-2010.

    [English: In my other messages, it's concerning Order # xxxx of 9/29/10.]

    Well, I hope that's enough to get them to correct the order... if they see the emails before they send it, and if they don't think I'm some kind of wingnut.

    But I'm already out 85 Euros, which they've already got, to say nothing of the currency conversion charge that'll be added by Visa...

    Maybe I should stop coveting any fragrance that I can't walk into a local store and pick up in my own hand...

    I hope you guys are all laughing about this, because I certainly won't, at least not until I hear from them saying they got my messages and fixed my mistakes. And if they don't, well... some lucky girl may get a nice Christmas present. And I'll be out another 85 Euros because you know that after going to all this trouble, I'm not just going to pass up the one I want. I'll order it again, but if I have any sense, I'll triple-check the order before I hit "send."

    Hey, I may be an idiot, but at least I can tell one on myself, right?
    post #2 of 10
    Thread Starter 

    Success!

    In spite of my ineptitude, the people at Pascal Morabito have emailed me confirming the change of order and the shipping address I had given them, so it looks like we're good to go! The tone of their email was very cordial and straightforward, so I feel a little less like a fool than I did yesterday.

    I'll review this once I receive it and have a chance to give it a full wearing.
    post #3 of 10
    I'm glad you liked it, but sorry for putting you to all that trouble. At least they ship quickly -- I got my bottle in about a week. They don't seem to pay attention to the rules about not shipping perfume by air.
    post #4 of 10
    Well you may have screwed up, but you did it in beautiful French!
    post #5 of 10
    Not laughing, I need an aspirin! I made an error in choosing and purchasing an event. I called immediately and it was fine. Prompt action is always helpful.
    Rotto's samples are great!
    post #6 of 10
    Oh Jaime- what a fragrance nightmare ! Glad all was sorted out in the end !
    post #7 of 10
    that was a great read! we've all been there man, im glad it all ended well!
    post #8 of 10
    Thread Starter 

    How it all turned out with Morabito

    So, the comedy of errors didn't end with my bollixing up my order.

    Morabito got it right. They charged my account on September 31, sent the shipment on October 5, and it was in San Francisco on October 8. Pretty fast service, isn't it? Well, yes and no. October 8 was a Friday, and the day before my birthday. I always take my birthday off, or if it's on a weekend (it was a Saturday this year), I take off another day near it. Well, the day of the delivery was the day I happened to take off.

    Now it gets interesting. Somehow, the USPS Delivery Notice didn't make it into my mailbox at work, where the shipment was sent, after that first attempt. So I worried and fretted over it, blaming Morabito for being impossibly tardy.

    Well, yesterday, I took the day off because of some things I needed to do around the election, and a few others. Nearly a month later, since they hadn't heard from me on the first delivery, USPS tried to deliver the parcel again; and again, I wasn't there to sign for it. Today I found the second notice, advising me that the package would be returned on November 9 if I didn't claim it before then.

    Well, I hot-footed it over to the Post Office as soon as classes were out, and now, it's in my hot little hands.

    Where to lay the blame now? Well Morabito did one little thing wrong. When they sent me the tracking number for the parcel, they transposed two of the numbers and I got an "invalid tracking number" response from the website. Yesterday, I got another email from Morabito, explaining the mistake in the tracking number, and last night, I found out delivery had been made on October 8. Well, not "made" exactly, but attempted. As far as the European carrier was concerned, it was out of their hands. Was it my fault for not being at work on both of the days delivery attempts were made? I would say it was mere coincidence — unfortunate coincidence, but coincidence nonetheless.

    The real problem? The person who didn't put the delivery notice in my mailbox the day the first delivery attempt was made; and I still don't know who dropped that ball. Putting that notice in my mailbox would have avoided the whole big mishegoss. (Pardon my Yiddish, but having grown up a New Yorker, I seem to know more Yiddish than most California Jews.) Anyway, a big mishegoss it was and will so remain in my memory to the last day.

    My only other experience with a European carrier was with Molinard, but that was easy-breezy compared to this one.

    So that's my story: It's finally here, and I can officially add it to my wardrobe now; even so, it's been quite a roller-coaster ride!
    post #9 of 10
    Thread Starter 

    Final act

    I just sent Morabito the following email:

    Messieurs,

    Ayant poursuivi une petite enquête, j'ai découvert que le bureau de poste a essayé de remettre le colis le 8 octobre. Malheureusement, je n'étais pas au boulot ce jour-là, et à cause de je ne sais quoi, je n'ai pas reçu l'avis de la tentative de livraison. Aujourd'hui j'ai reçu un second avis, et j'ai dû aller au bureau de poste pour réclamer le colis. Maintenant je l'ai chez moi à la bonne fin.


    Je me suis rendu compte que le délai n'a rien eu à voir avec Morabito, et je m'excuse de vous avoir fait perdre du temps à m'aider à localiser le colis. En tout cas, je vous suis très reconnaissant et je vous remercie vivement de toute votre aide et des soins que vous y avez pris. Et merci aussi du petit échantillon que vous y avez inclus.

    [Translation:

    Gentlemen:

    Having done a bit of research, I discovered that the Postal Service tried to deliver the package on October 8. Unfortunately, I was not at work that day, and for reasons unknown, I never got the notice of the delivery attempt. Today, I got a second delivery notice, and I had to go to the post office to claim the shipment. Now I have the package at long last.

    I've realized that
    the delay had nothing to do with Morabito, and I apologize for wasting your time in helping me locate the shipment. In any case, I am very grateful to you and I heartily thank you for all your help and all the care that you have taken. And thank you also for the small sample that you included.]
    post #10 of 10
    Thread Starter 

    Morabito's reply

    Morabito's reply:

    Cher Monsieur,
    Votre contentement est notre plaisir!
    Bien cordialement,

    Marie,
    Services en ligne

    PASCAL MORABITO
    16 Place Vendôme
    75001 PARIS


    Dear Sir:
    Your satisfaction is our pleasure!
    Very cordially,

    Marie
    Online Services
    class="

    9/29/10 at 12:41am

    JaimeB said:



    Sometimes I do really stupid things.

    My intentions are good, but I mess up. For example, at the San Francisco Basenoters' Meet-Up last Saturday, ROtto very kindly gave me a sample of Pascal Morabito Or Black, a scent I've been curious about for a long time. Well, I've spent the past couple of days sniffing it on my hand, and I finally decided to pop for it.

    So I went online to the Morabito website, and I ordered it. Or rather, I thought I ordered it. What I actually did, through some colossal inadvertence, was order Or Noir, the feminine version, which I've never smelled, and (of course) isn't the one I want. But I didn't discover the mistake until a couple of minutes later, when I looked at the order confirmation email.

    So, I sent them a message:

    Pardon! Je me suis trompé en commandant Or Noir. Ce que je voulais commander c'est la version masculine Or Black, au même prix, mais de 100 ml.

    Est-ce que vous pourriez changer la commande pour assurer que je recevrai la version correcte?
    Je vous serai très reconnaissant.

    Et si ce n'est pas un grand problème, est-ce que vous pourriez me faire savoir que vous avez fait la correction en répondant à ce message? Merci encore.


    [In English: Pardon me. I made a mistake in ordering Or Noir. What I meant to order was the men's version Or Black, at the same price, but in 100 ml. Could you please change the order to make sure that I get the right one? I would be very grateful. And if it's not too much trouble, could you let me know that you made the correction by replying to this message? Thanks again.]

    OK, I thought, now we're cool. Only then I see that I put down the wrong zip code for the billing address, so I send the right zip code in another email, and I assure them that the zip code on the delivery address is correct. I add:

    Quelle horreur! Excusez -moi ces erreurs, je vous ai fait trop de problèmes. Je suis désolé... Je vous prie de ne pas m'en vouloir.

    [English: How terrible! Forgive me for these mistakes. I'm causing you a lot of problems. I'm very sorry. Please don't hold them against me.]

    Great! Now everything is cool... Except, I didn't give them the order number, so how are they going to be able to correct the order? And so out goes email number three:

    Dans mes autres messages, il s'agit de la commande Order # xxxx du 29-09-2010.

    [English: In my other messages, it's concerning Order # xxxx of 9/29/10.]

    Well, I hope that's enough to get them to correct the order... if they see the emails before they send it, and if they don't think I'm some kind of wingnut.

    But I'm already out 85 Euros, which they've already got, to say nothing of the currency conversion charge that'll be added by Visa...

    Maybe I should stop coveting any fragrance that I can't walk into a local store and pick up in my own hand...

    I hope you guys are all laughing about this, because I certainly won't, at least not until I hear from them saying they got my messages and fixed my mistakes. And if they don't, well... some lucky girl may get a nice Christmas present. And I'll be out another 85 Euros because you know that after going to all this trouble, I'm not just going to pass up the one I want. I'll order it again, but if I have any sense, I'll triple-check the order before I hit "send."

    Hey, I may be an idiot, but at least I can tell one on myself, right?

    9/29/10 at 9:46pm

    JaimeB said:



    Success!

    In spite of my ineptitude, the people at Pascal Morabito have emailed me confirming the change of order and the shipping address I had given them, so it looks like we're good to go! The tone of their email was very cordial and straightforward, so I feel a little less like a fool than I did yesterday.

    I'll review this once I receive it and have a chance to give it a full wearing.

    9/30/10 at 10:02pm

    ROtto said:



    I'm glad you liked it, but sorry for putting you to all that trouble. At least they ship quickly -- I got my bottle in about a week. They don't seem to pay attention to the rules about not shipping perfume by air.

    10/1/10 at 3:21am

    David Ruskin said:



    Well you may have screwed up, but you did it in beautiful French!

    10/2/10 at 10:28pm

    Kalynne said:



    Not laughing, I need an aspirin! I made an error in choosing and purchasing an event. I called immediately and it was fine. Prompt action is always helpful.
    Rotto's samples are great!

    10/3/10 at 9:57pm

    Mimi Gardenia said:



    Oh Jaime- what a fragrance nightmare ! Glad all was sorted out in the end !

    10/5/10 at 3:55am

    jlouismi said:



    that was a great read! we've all been there man, im glad it all ended well!

    11/3/10 at 3:53pm

    JaimeB said:



    How it all turned out with Morabito

    So, the comedy of errors didn't end with my bollixing up my order.

    Morabito got it right. They charged my account on September 31, sent the shipment on October 5, and it was in San Francisco on October 8. Pretty fast service, isn't it? Well, yes and no. October 8 was a Friday, and the day before my birthday. I always take my birthday off, or if it's on a weekend (it was a Saturday this year), I take off another day near it. Well, the day of the delivery was the day I happened to take off.

    Now it gets interesting. Somehow, the USPS Delivery Notice didn't make it into my mailbox at work, where the shipment was sent, after that first attempt. So I worried and fretted over it, blaming Morabito for being impossibly tardy.

    Well, yesterday, I took the day off because of some things I needed to do around the election, and a few others. Nearly a month later, since they hadn't heard from me on the first delivery, USPS tried to deliver the parcel again; and again, I wasn't there to sign for it. Today I found the second notice, advising me that the package would be returned on November 9 if I didn't claim it before then.

    Well, I hot-footed it over to the Post Office as soon as classes were out, and now, it's in my hot little hands.

    Where to lay the blame now? Well Morabito did one little thing wrong. When they sent me the tracking number for the parcel, they transposed two of the numbers and I got an "invalid tracking number" response from the website. Yesterday, I got another email from Morabito, explaining the mistake in the tracking number, and last night, I found out delivery had been made on October 8. Well, not "made" exactly, but attempted. As far as the European carrier was concerned, it was out of their hands. Was it my fault for not being at work on both of the days delivery attempts were made? I would say it was mere coincidence — unfortunate coincidence, but coincidence nonetheless.

    The real problem? The person who didn't put the delivery notice in my mailbox the day the first delivery attempt was made; and I still don't know who dropped that ball. Putting that notice in my mailbox would have avoided the whole big mishegoss. (Pardon my Yiddish, but having grown up a New Yorker, I seem to know more Yiddish than most California Jews.) Anyway, a big mishegoss it was and will so remain in my memory to the last day.

    My only other experience with a European carrier was with Molinard, but that was easy-breezy compared to this one.

    So that's my story: It's finally here, and I can officially add it to my wardrobe now; even so, it's been quite a roller-coaster ride!

    11/3/10 at 11:48pm

    JaimeB said:



    Final act

    I just sent Morabito the following email:

    Messieurs,

    Ayant poursuivi une petite enquête, j'ai découvert que le bureau de poste a essayé de remettre le colis le 8 octobre. Malheureusement, je n'étais pas au boulot ce jour-là, et à cause de je ne sais quoi, je n'ai pas reçu l'avis de la tentative de livraison. Aujourd'hui j'ai reçu un second avis, et j'ai dû aller au bureau de poste pour réclamer le colis. Maintenant je l'ai chez moi à la bonne fin.


    Je me suis rendu compte que le délai n'a rien eu à voir avec Morabito, et je m'excuse de vous avoir fait perdre du temps à m'aider à localiser le colis. En tout cas, je vous suis très reconnaissant et je vous remercie vivement de toute votre aide et des soins que vous y avez pris. Et merci aussi du petit échantillon que vous y avez inclus.

    [Translation:

    Gentlemen:

    Having done a bit of research, I discovered that the Postal Service tried to deliver the package on October 8. Unfortunately, I was not at work that day, and for reasons unknown, I never got the notice of the delivery attempt. Today, I got a second delivery notice, and I had to go to the post office to claim the shipment. Now I have the package at long last.

    I've realized that
    the delay had nothing to do with Morabito, and I apologize for wasting your time in helping me locate the shipment. In any case, I am very grateful to you and I heartily thank you for all your help and all the care that you have taken. And thank you also for the small sample that you included.]

    11/4/10 at 7:41am

    JaimeB said:



    Morabito's reply

    Morabito's reply:

    Cher Monsieur,
    Votre contentement est notre plaisir!
    Bien cordialement,

    Marie,
    Services en ligne

    PASCAL MORABITO
    16 Place Vendôme
    75001 PARIS


    Dear Sir:
    Your satisfaction is our pleasure!
    Very cordially,

    Marie
    Online Services





Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000