musk ketone, genuine?

    musk ketone, genuine?

    post #1 of 3
    Thread Starter 

    My musk ketone from Perfumer's World dissolved 10% in benzyl benzoate after about 5 minutes' vigorous shaking. Is that too good to be true, should I suspect that it's not musk ketone? I also have some musk xylol from them and am trying to compare the smell at the same dilution, from cardboard. I'll have to wait; I can't smell either much yet. When I received them, the outside of the containers smelt strongly, and I thought differently--musk xylol soapier, and musk ketone a high sweet smell very much like my Coty Chypre.

    post #2 of 3

    I'm surprised it dissolved so easily, but I wouldn't have thought Perfumers World would be selling you something else as Musk Ketone, at least not on purpose. Musk Ketone is now one of the cheaper musks (assuming you buy it in bulk anyway) so there wouldn't be any motive to substitute it.

    It is always possible there was a mix up in the dispatch process though, so might be worth asking if they can check. The best way to tell though is to see if it smells like musk with a soapy, powdery quality - if it does it's probably right.

    post #3 of 3
    Thread Starter 

    Thank you. It's still strong and soapy on cardboard after a week and a half; a musk of some sort then. I really can't distinguish it from musk xylol. That is, they both smell different--from each other and from themselves--each time I sniff them; but if I mix up the cards and try to say which is which from the smell, I get it wrong. However, perhaps I'll improve with practice.

    class="

    6/21/13 at 12:08am

    Alysoun said:



    My musk ketone from Perfumer's World dissolved 10% in benzyl benzoate after about 5 minutes' vigorous shaking. Is that too good to be true, should I suspect that it's not musk ketone? I also have some musk xylol from them and am trying to compare the smell at the same dilution, from cardboard. I'll have to wait; I can't smell either much yet. When I received them, the outside of the containers smelt strongly, and I thought differently--musk xylol soapier, and musk ketone a high sweet smell very much like my Coty Chypre.

    6/23/13 at 7:02am

    Chris Bartlett said:



    I'm surprised it dissolved so easily, but I wouldn't have thought Perfumers World would be selling you something else as Musk Ketone, at least not on purpose. Musk Ketone is now one of the cheaper musks (assuming you buy it in bulk anyway) so there wouldn't be any motive to substitute it.

    It is always possible there was a mix up in the dispatch process though, so might be worth asking if they can check. The best way to tell though is to see if it smells like musk with a soapy, powdery quality - if it does it's probably right.

    7/1/13 at 12:31am

    Alysoun said:



    Thank you. It's still strong and soapy on cardboard after a week and a half; a musk of some sort then. I really can't distinguish it from musk xylol. That is, they both smell different--from each other and from themselves--each time I sniff them; but if I mix up the cards and try to say which is which from the smell, I get it wrong. However, perhaps I'll improve with practice.





Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000