Kumquat's SOTD (Scent of the Day) Blog

    Kumquat's SOTD (Scent of the Day) Blog

    post #1 of 103
    Thread Starter 

    June 22, 2013

    Kumquat's garden, Open this window by clicking on it.

    Rosine- Une Folie de Rose

    A charming rose chypre.

    Tart, green and tangy.

    A ride on the swingset and

    the smell of freshly mown grass.

    Une Folie de Rose is a classically composed rose chypre, featuring notes of coriander, bergamot, tea rose, ylang-ylang, jasmine, sandalwood, amber, oakmoss, vetiver, and patchouli.


    Edited by kumquat - 7/5/13 at 9:10am
    post #2 of 103
    Thread Starter 


    John Singer Sargent
    Serge Lutens-
    Vetiver Oriental

    Spring rushes forth in this cascade of moss and gold.
    A brisk, sparkling tingle brightens the afternoon.
    Lazing in the grass with a good book, some fine wine and
    charming companions, it might be a perfect day to fly a kite.
    Creamy and unisex, this delightful blend is as sensual as it is poetic.
    Men and women appreciate one another ; yin and yang.

    Vetiver Oriental Notes
    Sap, iris pallida, undergrowth notes, vetiver, gaiac wood, chocolate, musk, amber, mosses, sandalwood, labdanum
    post #3 of 103
    Thread Starter 


    Thomas Gainsborough-Portrait of a Lady in Blue

    Guerlain- L'Heure Bleue
    Heliotrope- powdery, cherry almonds,
    good enough to eat,
    surround one in a joyful cloud.

    Cool tones strike wistful notes.
    Imagine the days when scent was so precious,
    only the wealthy had this luxury;
    the tremendous pleasure it gave
    in a gray, dreary world.

    LHeure Bleue was created byJacques Guerlainin 1912.
    Its floriental recipe includes:
    bergamot, aniseed, carnation,
    orange blossom, heliotrope,
    Bulgarian rose, tuberose, iris,
    vanilla and musk.
    (It was the first Guerlain scent to use aldehydes.)

    post #4 of 103
    Thread Starter 



    Guerlain - Shalimar

    Undulating woods layered with dense vanilla;
    a chorus of amber throbs throughout.

    Named for the gardens of Lahore,
    we are transported to ancient times of incense,
    golden veils and velvet pillows in a palace of beauty.

    Exotic flowers grace the bodies of the fair maidens;
    luxuriating in the ancient oils and spices of their
    wondrous world.


    Originally created by Jacques Guerlain in 1921-
    a classic soft amber (oriental) parfum with;
    Top notes of bergamot, lemon, mandarin and rosewood,
    Heart notes of rose, jasmine, orris, patchouli and vetiver,
    Base notes of vanilla, benzoin, balsam of Peru and opoponax.

    post #5 of 103
    Thread Starter 



    Bessie Coleman, 1892-1926

    Caron-En Avion

    One can feel the rush of the props
    and the cool air as it picks up the scent of violets.
    Clouds scudding by in the azure sky;
    weightless, yet filled with the promise of a glorious day.
    The wind sings in the struts
    as we bank gently over the fields.

    Light leather stirs up from the
    supple coat and gloves,
    while garden flowers waft on the
    golden breeze.

    Notes are orange tree, rose, neroli, jasmine, violet, opoponax, precious woods, and carnation.
    This is pure parfum.

    About the photograph-
    In a time of both gender and racial discrimination, Bessie Coleman broke barriers and became the first black woman in the world to earn a pilot's license. Because flying schools in the United States denied her entry, she took it upon herself to learn French and move to France to achieve her goal. After only seven months, Coleman earned her license from France's well known Caudron Brother's School of Aviation. Though she wanted to start a flying school for African Americans when she returned to the U.S., Coleman specialized in stunt flying and parachuting and earned a living barnstorming and performing aerial tricks. In 1922, hers was the first public flight by an African American woman in America. Tragically, Bessie Coleman's life ended at the age of 33 when she was killed in an accident during a rehearsal for an aerial show. She remains a pioneer of women in the field of aviation.

    post #6 of 103
    Thread Starter 


    Annick Goutal-
    Eau d'Hadrien


    A soothing burst of lemon
    from the sparkling island of Cyprus.

    The fragrant cypress trees possess the lemon scent
    within their craggy branches.

    A swinging hammock;
    my face in the cool shade
    under the great trees.

    Hot sand between my toes,
    a fresh dip in the sea
    and a picnic lunch with dry red wine.

    The crisp bread tastes fine
    with lemon in the air.

    Top notes: Lemon, Grapefruit
    Heart notes: Citron, Ylang Ylang
    Base notes: Cypress, Patchouli

    Please be sure to use the EDP!

    post #7 of 103
    Thread Starter 

    Hermés- Caléche

    Top: Aldehydes, bergamot, lemon, neroli, cypress

    Heart: Jasmine, rose, lily-of-the-valley, ylang-ylang

    Base: Olibanum (frankincense), vetiver, sandalwood, amber, tonka, musk

    created, 1961

    A gentle, woody musk that calls to mind the 'Mad Men' era.

    A woman had to use her feminine charms to play the game.

    Some things never change.

    A crisp white shirt, slinky black capri pants and

    some kitten heels willset the mood.

    Don't forget to chill the glasses.

    Gin over ice is so nice!

    Candlelight, jazz and olives...clink!

    post #8 of 103
    Thread Starter 


    George Inness, Home of the Heron, 1893

    Serge Lutens-Bois Oriental
    Surging, throbbing waves of color
    are the feathers in the woods.
    These great wings of delight
    carry me from tree to tree in a gust of
    bronze and gold.

    The cedars and the gentle pines,
    caress the senses with smoke and
    sap, coursing through their limbs.

    Boozy, there in the sky, I am rocking
    as the nest sways under the stars.

    Notes;
    violet, peach, plum, rose, cardamom, cinnamon,
    clove, musk, Atlas cedarwood, and vanilla.

    post #9 of 103
    Thread Starter 


    Jean Harlow

    Pierre Balmain-
    Miss Balmain


    Hot, rushing leather and galbanum;
    a swirl of satin and she's gone.
    Who was that stunning blond over there by the fire?

    The heart pounds as the furs are too warm.
    Everyone wants a cocktail.
    The cats snuggle on the sofa and enjoy
    the amusing conversation.


    A leather-floral-woody chypre with green top notes,
    heart notes of jasmine, lily of the valley, rose de France, jonquil and narcissus
    base notes of musk, patchouli, vetiver, amber and oak moss.

    post #10 of 103
    Thread Starter 


    Henri Rousseau, The Snake Charmer, 1907

    Nuit Noir
    Exquisite leather and deepest orange liqueur;
    a swirl of woods and dark delight.
    Dancing, running, into dangerous night.
    Animals; cunning, strong and still loving,
    the smooth blackness of the ancient trees.

    Top Notes
    Orange Flower, Cardamom, Ginger, Orange

    Middle Notes
    Oliban, Cinnamon, Tuberose, Sandalwood, Clove, Cedarwood

    Base Notes
    Amber, Leather, Musk, Tonka

    Mona di Orio,
    Rest in Peace. You will be greatly missed.

    post #11 of 103
    Thread Starter 


    'The Ladies Waldegrave', Joshua Reynolds, 1780

    Chantilly-Houbigant


    This wicked, subtle chypre conceals its gentle sting
    beneath warm vanilla and amber.
    Citrus and oakmoss combine to create the tangy
    undertow. Powerful wafting clouds of spicy powder,
    gracefully linger. Sun lights the rooms and wine flows.



    This is original formula; created, 1941
    Notes: Bergamot, neroli, lemon, carnation, jasmine, ylang-ylang, rose,
    tonka, birch tar, musk, benzoin, oakmoss, vanilla, sandalwood

    post #12 of 103
    Thread Starter 

    Quote:

    Originally Posted bykumquatView Post


    'Echo & Narcissus', Nicolas Poussin, 1630
    Narcisse Noir-Caron
    Sensuous, florid
    waves of orange blossom,
    followed by the warm,
    animal grasp of civit.
    Beauty and love collide.


    Created in 1911 by Caron's founder, Ernest Daltroff.
    Notes of orange blossom, bergamot, petitgrain, lemon, rose,
    jasmine, jonquil, Persian black narcissus,
    musk, vetiver, civet, and sandalwood.
    post #13 of 103
    Thread Starter 

    Quote:

    Originally Posted bykumquatView Post


    Eduard Manet, 1882

    Diptyque-Jardin Clos
    Backwards in time,
    I dream of spring again.
    Cool breaths of watermelon
    tease lilacs out to play.

    The wind moves gently as
    the robins feed on juicy bugs.
    There is little time before the snow,
    yet the glorious sweetness lingers.

    Notes: hyacinth, white lilac,
    watermelon, musk, cedar, moss
    post #14 of 103
    Thread Starter 

    Quote:

    Originally Posted bykumquat

    6/21/13 at 11:29am

    kumquat said:



    June 22, 2013

    Kumquat's garden, Open this window by clicking on it.

    Rosine- Une Folie de Rose

    A charming rose chypre.

    Tart, green and tangy.

    A ride on the swingset and

    the smell of freshly mown grass.

    Une Folie de Rose is a classically composed rose chypre, featuring notes of coriander, bergamot, tea rose, ylang-ylang, jasmine, sandalwood, amber, oakmoss, vetiver, and patchouli.


    Edited by kumquat - 7/5/13 at 9:10am

    6/21/13 at 11:44am

    kumquat said:




    John Singer Sargent
    Serge Lutens-
    Vetiver Oriental

    Spring rushes forth in this cascade of moss and gold.
    A brisk, sparkling tingle brightens the afternoon.
    Lazing in the grass with a good book, some fine wine and
    charming companions, it might be a perfect day to fly a kite.
    Creamy and unisex, this delightful blend is as sensual as it is poetic.
    Men and women appreciate one another ; yin and yang.

    Vetiver Oriental Notes
    Sap, iris pallida, undergrowth notes, vetiver, gaiac wood, chocolate, musk, amber, mosses, sandalwood, labdanum

    6/21/13 at 11:57am

    kumquat said:




    Thomas Gainsborough-Portrait of a Lady in Blue

    Guerlain- L'Heure Bleue
    Heliotrope- powdery, cherry almonds,
    good enough to eat,
    surround one in a joyful cloud.

    Cool tones strike wistful notes.
    Imagine the days when scent was so precious,
    only the wealthy had this luxury;
    the tremendous pleasure it gave
    in a gray, dreary world.

    LHeure Bleue was created byJacques Guerlainin 1912.
    Its floriental recipe includes:
    bergamot, aniseed, carnation,
    orange blossom, heliotrope,
    Bulgarian rose, tuberose, iris,
    vanilla and musk.
    (It was the first Guerlain scent to use aldehydes.)

    6/21/13 at 12:00pm

    kumquat said:





    Guerlain - Shalimar

    Undulating woods layered with dense vanilla;
    a chorus of amber throbs throughout.

    Named for the gardens of Lahore,
    we are transported to ancient times of incense,
    golden veils and velvet pillows in a palace of beauty.

    Exotic flowers grace the bodies of the fair maidens;
    luxuriating in the ancient oils and spices of their
    wondrous world.


    Originally created by Jacques Guerlain in 1921-
    a classic soft amber (oriental) parfum with;
    Top notes of bergamot, lemon, mandarin and rosewood,
    Heart notes of rose, jasmine, orris, patchouli and vetiver,
    Base notes of vanilla, benzoin, balsam of Peru and opoponax.

    6/21/13 at 12:02pm

    kumquat said:





    Bessie Coleman, 1892-1926

    Caron-En Avion

    One can feel the rush of the props
    and the cool air as it picks up the scent of violets.
    Clouds scudding by in the azure sky;
    weightless, yet filled with the promise of a glorious day.
    The wind sings in the struts
    as we bank gently over the fields.

    Light leather stirs up from the
    supple coat and gloves,
    while garden flowers waft on the
    golden breeze.

    Notes are orange tree, rose, neroli, jasmine, violet, opoponax, precious woods, and carnation.
    This is pure parfum.

    About the photograph-
    In a time of both gender and racial discrimination, Bessie Coleman broke barriers and became the first black woman in the world to earn a pilot's license. Because flying schools in the United States denied her entry, she took it upon herself to learn French and move to France to achieve her goal. After only seven months, Coleman earned her license from France's well known Caudron Brother's School of Aviation. Though she wanted to start a flying school for African Americans when she returned to the U.S., Coleman specialized in stunt flying and parachuting and earned a living barnstorming and performing aerial tricks. In 1922, hers was the first public flight by an African American woman in America. Tragically, Bessie Coleman's life ended at the age of 33 when she was killed in an accident during a rehearsal for an aerial show. She remains a pioneer of women in the field of aviation.

    6/21/13 at 12:05pm

    kumquat said:




    Annick Goutal-
    Eau d'Hadrien


    A soothing burst of lemon
    from the sparkling island of Cyprus.

    The fragrant cypress trees possess the lemon scent
    within their craggy branches.

    A swinging hammock;
    my face in the cool shade
    under the great trees.

    Hot sand between my toes,
    a fresh dip in the sea
    and a picnic lunch with dry red wine.

    The crisp bread tastes fine
    with lemon in the air.

    Top notes: Lemon, Grapefruit
    Heart notes: Citron, Ylang Ylang
    Base notes: Cypress, Patchouli

    Please be sure to use the EDP!

    6/22/13 at 12:38pm

    kumquat said:



    Hermés- Caléche

    Top: Aldehydes, bergamot, lemon, neroli, cypress

    Heart: Jasmine, rose, lily-of-the-valley, ylang-ylang

    Base: Olibanum (frankincense), vetiver, sandalwood, amber, tonka, musk

    created, 1961

    A gentle, woody musk that calls to mind the 'Mad Men' era.

    A woman had to use her feminine charms to play the game.

    Some things never change.

    A crisp white shirt, slinky black capri pants and

    some kitten heels willset the mood.

    Don't forget to chill the glasses.

    Gin over ice is so nice!

    Candlelight, jazz and olives...clink!

    6/22/13 at 1:10pm

    kumquat said:




    George Inness, Home of the Heron, 1893

    Serge Lutens-Bois Oriental
    Surging, throbbing waves of color
    are the feathers in the woods.
    These great wings of delight
    carry me from tree to tree in a gust of
    bronze and gold.

    The cedars and the gentle pines,
    caress the senses with smoke and
    sap, coursing through their limbs.

    Boozy, there in the sky, I am rocking
    as the nest sways under the stars.

    Notes;
    violet, peach, plum, rose, cardamom, cinnamon,
    clove, musk, Atlas cedarwood, and vanilla.

    6/22/13 at 1:13pm

    kumquat said:




    Jean Harlow

    Pierre Balmain-
    Miss Balmain


    Hot, rushing leather and galbanum;
    a swirl of satin and she's gone.
    Who was that stunning blond over there by the fire?

    The heart pounds as the furs are too warm.
    Everyone wants a cocktail.
    The cats snuggle on the sofa and enjoy
    the amusing conversation.


    A leather-floral-woody chypre with green top notes,
    heart notes of jasmine, lily of the valley, rose de France, jonquil and narcissus
    base notes of musk, patchouli, vetiver, amber and oak moss.

    6/22/13 at 1:15pm

    kumquat said:




    Henri Rousseau, The Snake Charmer, 1907

    Nuit Noir
    Exquisite leather and deepest orange liqueur;
    a swirl of woods and dark delight.
    Dancing, running, into dangerous night.
    Animals; cunning, strong and still loving,
    the smooth blackness of the ancient trees.

    Top Notes
    Orange Flower, Cardamom, Ginger, Orange

    Middle Notes
    Oliban, Cinnamon, Tuberose, Sandalwood, Clove, Cedarwood

    Base Notes
    Amber, Leather, Musk, Tonka

    Mona di Orio,
    Rest in Peace. You will be greatly missed.

    6/22/13 at 1:17pm

    kumquat said:




    'The Ladies Waldegrave', Joshua Reynolds, 1780

    Chantilly-Houbigant


    This wicked, subtle chypre conceals its gentle sting
    beneath warm vanilla and amber.
    Citrus and oakmoss combine to create the tangy
    undertow. Powerful wafting clouds of spicy powder,
    gracefully linger. Sun lights the rooms and wine flows.



    This is original formula; created, 1941
    Notes: Bergamot, neroli, lemon, carnation, jasmine, ylang-ylang, rose,
    tonka, birch tar, musk, benzoin, oakmoss, vanilla, sandalwood

    6/22/13 at 1:19pm

    kumquat said:



    Quote:

    Originally Posted bykumquatView Post


    'Echo & Narcissus', Nicolas Poussin, 1630
    Narcisse Noir-Caron
    Sensuous, florid
    waves of orange blossom,
    followed by the warm,
    animal grasp of civit.
    Beauty and love collide.


    Created in 1911 by Caron's founder, Ernest Daltroff.
    Notes of orange blossom, bergamot, petitgrain, lemon, rose,
    jasmine, jonquil, Persian black narcissus,
    musk, vetiver, civet, and sandalwood.

    6/22/13 at 1:22pm

    kumquat said:



    Quote:

    Originally Posted bykumquatView Post


    Eduard Manet, 1882

    Diptyque-Jardin Clos
    Backwards in time,
    I dream of spring again.
    Cool breaths of watermelon
    tease lilacs out to play.

    The wind moves gently as
    the robins feed on juicy bugs.
    There is little time before the snow,
    yet the glorious sweetness lingers.

    Notes: hyacinth, white lilac,
    watermelon, musk, cedar, moss

    6/22/13 at 1:24pm

    kumquat said:



    Quote:

    Originally Posted bykumquat



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000