I'd be very thankful if someone who knows about perfume industry would enlighten me.
Let's take some example, say, Chanel Antaeus or Rochas Macassar in the 80's or any similar scent.
Am i right as i picture it something like this:
- The company (marketing dept.) decides to create a new fragrance
- They have some artistic director or similar who is named to lead the project
- He "hires" a perfumer / group of perfumers to work in the project and tells roughly what he expects(the target marketing group, the style of the fragrance, some general guidelines). Or the company has a "in-house nose"
4. The project starts
5. The project ends with a fragrance which will be lauched and the fragranece goes to the production with advertising campaign etc.
- How long usually a fragrance project takes from the decision to create a frag to launching it? Years, i take it?
- Is it only sales that effect on the decision to discontinue a fragrance? What else possibly?
- How long life cycle usually the discontinued fragrances typically had? Some years? A decade?
(Some discontinued ones: Macassar, Rochas Lui, Gucci Envy Men, Gucci Nobile, Ungaro I )
One more. I took the example of the 80's scents. Has the project time spans changed comparing the 80's ones to nowadays fragrance creating projects? Maybe they do not take as long as decades ago? In other words, do companies create fragrances nowadays in a smaller time than decades ago?