Dissolving Crystals: Methyl Cyclo Pentenolone and Ethyl Vanillin

    Dissolving Crystals: Methyl Cyclo Pentenolone and Ethyl Vanillin

    post #1 of 5
    Thread Starter 

    Hey folks!

    We received some aroma materials in crystal form in the mail today, and I am scratching my head on how to use them.

    Specifically: Methyl Cyclo Pentenolone and Ethyl Vanillin.

    So, my questions:

    1. Can we dissolve both of these materials in perfumer's alcohol?

    2. What sort of % of crystals to alcohol are we looking at?

    THANK YOU! We're lost.

    S.

    post #2 of 5

    MCP certainly is alcohol soluble, start with 50%, see if it stays in solution...

    Ethyl Vanillin is too, try at 25%

    Most times, I just add the crystals directly into the concentrate, and let it sit and dissolve over the course of a day or so...

    post #3 of 5
    Thread Starter 

    Thank you so much! That's very helpful Paul.

    (Love your red leather perfume, btw)

    post #4 of 5

    Ethyl vanillin will also dissolve successfully in PG and DPG - PG solution is widely used in flavours, DPG more common in fragrance. The main advantage of this over an alcohol solution is that it's less volatile. I keep a 10% solution of EV in DPG for compounding and 1% and 0.1% solutions for blending: it's strong stuff.

    post #5 of 5
    Thread Starter 

    Thank you Chris!

    class="

    7/3/13 at 4:20pm

    artandolfaction said:



    Hey folks!

    We received some aroma materials in crystal form in the mail today, and I am scratching my head on how to use them.

    Specifically: Methyl Cyclo Pentenolone and Ethyl Vanillin.

    So, my questions:

    1. Can we dissolve both of these materials in perfumer's alcohol?

    2. What sort of % of crystals to alcohol are we looking at?

    THANK YOU! We're lost.

    S.

    7/4/13 at 10:57pm

    pkiler said:



    MCP certainly is alcohol soluble, start with 50%, see if it stays in solution...

    Ethyl Vanillin is too, try at 25%

    Most times, I just add the crystals directly into the concentrate, and let it sit and dissolve over the course of a day or so...

    7/5/13 at 8:53am

    artandolfaction said:



    Thank you so much! That's very helpful Paul.

    (Love your red leather perfume, btw)

    7/5/13 at 9:31am

    Chris Bartlett said:



    Ethyl vanillin will also dissolve successfully in PG and DPG - PG solution is widely used in flavours, DPG more common in fragrance. The main advantage of this over an alcohol solution is that it's less volatile. I keep a 10% solution of EV in DPG for compounding and 1% and 0.1% solutions for blending: it's strong stuff.

    7/6/13 at 9:11am

    artandolfaction said:



    Thank you Chris!





Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000