So I Just Tried Out My First Fragrances...

    So I Just Tried Out My First Fragrances...

    post #1 of 16
    Thread Starter 

    Hey there,

     

    I started a thread a few weeks ago for some suggestions going into my sophmore year of high school. I got a good list together and went to Neiman Marcus and Nordstrom to try some out today. Here's the ones I tried:

     

    Gucci by Gucci Pour Homme

    Terre D'Hermes

    Bleu de Chanel

    Dolce and Gabbana the One

    YSL La Nuit

    YSL L'Homme

    Chanel Allure Home Sport Extreme

    Hugo Boss Bottled

    Versace Pour Homme

    Versace Eau Fraiche

    Creed Millesime Imperial

    Creed Virgin Island Water

    Creed Green Irish Tweed

    Creed Erolfa

     

    I ended up getting a lot of sample papers biggrin.gif. I liked Bleu de Chanel, YSL L'Homme, Versace Eau Fraiche, and Creed Erolfa. The ones that I really really liked and sprayed on my wrists (luckily I had a friend with me so I could use his wrists smile.gif) Creed Virgin Island Water, Creed Millesime Imperial, and Creed Green Irish Tweed.

     

    When I asked to smell Green Irish Tweed, the fragrance lady said something along the lines of, "It's kind of a musty smell and I don't really like it." My friend said the same thing too, but when I smelt it I actually kind of liked it. I sprayed it on my wrist and walked around to smell some other fragrances. Now not to sound too noobish here, but after about 10 minutes of wearing, the Green Irish Tweed got insanely good. I can't exactly tell you what it smells like to me because I am just starting out, but it is very clean and fresh with kind of some fresh sweet clover in it. I then asked my friend on the way back home to smell my wrist, and he said it smelled better to him (although I don't think he liked it as much as me). This fragrance is one of my favorites I smelled, but since the fragrance lady and my friend both had doubts about it at first, I am afraid that it might offend some people. What do you guys think? Is this a good semi-dressy or dressy fragrance? Does it offend people, or do you get a lot of complements?

     

    Before I went to the store did some research on some other good summer fragrances and I found that Creed's Millesime Imperial was pretty highly rated. I sprayed it on the opposite wrist from Green Irish Tweed. At first, I thought Millesime Imperial was very feminine. After about three hours now, it has gotten more "neutral", but I seem to have lost that fruity watermelon that people say it has. I didn't get a whole lot of it at first, but now I don't seem to get any. It now just smells kind of like sugar, or I guess sugar cane. I really want this to be good, but I just don't really find it amazing. I also still find it a bit on the feminine side too. Do you guys think it is too feminine? Do you think I should wait until my nose is more experienced before I buy this?

     

    I then sprayed Virgin Island Water on my friend's wrist. Virgin Island Water was very good. Right away it smelled like a tropical drink of some sort, mixed with some sun tan lotion which I hear people say a lot. I really like the smell overall, but I am just not sure if I could see myself wearing it as I live in a dry, hot area, not like a tropical place. Do you think it would be okay to where it here anyways?

     

    I got a few sample bottles too which I will have to try out tonight and tomorrow. The other ones I like were YSL L'Homme Versace Eau Fraiche (which I found to be very subtle), and Bleu de Chanel which I can't remember what it smells like tongue.gif.

     

    What do you guys think? I need about three total, one for going to school (semi-dressy), for summer, and for a dressy occasion. Thanks!

    post #2 of 16

    If you like the GIT. Get it! A great fragrance.

    post #3 of 16

    As said, if you've found something you like, I don't see the problem. The sales assistant likely just wanted to push out whatever frag they have extra stock of. Green Irish Tweed is a classic and a good seller, so she doesn't need to move it out. I much prefer it to Virgin Island, which is simply too sweet and boozy, and to Millesime Imperial, which is a little too simple, especially for the price. The problem of GIT, of course, is that it is very expensive. Too much. Still, good it is.

     

    I wouldn't rush into buying 3 things at once. While you've tried some, there are dozen other things around, and likely you'll find other stuff you may prefer to a quick purchase. Take your time and you'll find another thing you're enthusiastic about.

     

    cacio

    post #4 of 16

    Go with Green Irish Tweed, I sound like a broken record with the amount of times I (and many others) suggest it to beginners

    post #5 of 16

    I'll be real here. As much as I like the "if you like it, wear it" motto, I also realize high school can be rough place for that mindset. If you did get samples, you might consider wearing them around friends to see how they go.

    post #6 of 16
    Green Irish Tweed, Virgin Island Water & MI are all fine fragrances. Pick what you like most.
    post #7 of 16

    Especially at your age, 3 bottles is  pretty pricey, especially if you are considering Creeds. My main advice would be to give multiple testings before a purchase to make you love the fragrance before you buy (especially if you are reading reviews online which might oversell how good a niche fragrances like GIT might smell compared to something else). If you like GIT, consider his cheaper but similar cousin Cool Water, and maybe other fresh/green/musky fragrances like Curve/Fierce/MB Legend/Platinum Egoiste.

    post #8 of 16
    Thread Starter 

    Okay, today I tried out Versace Eau Friache on one wrist, and Ysl L'Homme on the other. I also put Chanel's Allure Homme Sport Extreme and Hugo Boss Bottled on my friend. I like Eau Friache, but I don't really love it. I smell a lot of lemon in it, but overall it smells a bit synthetic. It seems like it would be good for a really hot day, but I just don't see myself wearing it. Ysl's L'Homme is pretty nice, I like it. I have La Nuit on a paper (unfortunately I didn't get a sample vial of it) and I can't decide between the two. Definitely like them both though. Then Allure Sport Eau Extreme which I liked a lot. It smells a lot like fresh laundry to me. It's soapy, clean, simple. I really like it. Finally, Boss Bottled. It's also very clean and nice. I like it just as much as the Chanel. My problem is though, I can't decide between the two.

     

    Can you guys recommend me some more summer scents?

    post #9 of 16

    Try Bleu de Chanel.

    post #10 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1adam12 View Post

    Try Bleu de Chanel.

     

    Oops. Saw you tried this one. Hard to keep track. If you can find it, give Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche a try. And since you're at least somewhat interested in niche, try Creed Aventus.

    post #11 of 16

    Why didnt you get any samples? Nordstrom should have vials out so you can make your own samples of everything you want and if you ask very nicely the the SA should make you some of the Crewed samples. If she wont then find another SA that will. They for sure have drawers full of official Creed sample vials that they can give you. If you can go back just explain to them which ones you tested and ask for sampls of those and any others they recommend. If they see how interested you are then they will be very likely to be genorous with samples. 

    You should for sure retest MI. I dont think it is feminine at all. Versace Eau Fraiche is another one that is very fresh and modern so try it a few more times. Im sort of sad that I sold my bottle last year. Its also about a 4th of the price of Creeds if you buy online online. Perfect for high school.

    post #12 of 16

    I'm plugging this a lot lately, but you might like Bvlgari Man Extreme, based on your criteria.  Very green and clean to my sensibilities, and generally more affordable on a high school budget than the (otherwise very good) Creed choices.

    post #13 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Willanhanyard View Post

    Can you guys recommend me some more summer scents?
    Monsieur Balmain
    post #14 of 16
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Willanhanyard View Post

     

    Can you guys recommend me some more summer scents?

     

    Rossissimo - Parfums de Rosine

    post #15 of 16

    I would consider the chanel's if I were you seriously. allure and all the flankers are great..

    post #16 of 16

    Congratulations for the fragrances tested- an extensive, well-assorted, versatile and tasteful selection. In my opinion, Bleu de Chanel, Terre d'Hermes and Creed GIT, with Allure and Boss Bottle as two alternative possibilities/runner-ups/additional choices would easily cover most fragrance wearing occasions and could be suitable with almost any outfit. Plus, most, if not all of them have enough classiness to be considered semi-dressy, work well in any weather (including during summer) and be fairly inoffensive too. 

    class="

    7/3/13 at 7:38pm

    Willanhanyard said:



    Hey there,

     

    I started a thread a few weeks ago for some suggestions going into my sophmore year of high school. I got a good list together and went to Neiman Marcus and Nordstrom to try some out today. Here's the ones I tried:

     

    Gucci by Gucci Pour Homme

    Terre D'Hermes

    Bleu de Chanel

    Dolce and Gabbana the One

    YSL La Nuit

    YSL L'Homme

    Chanel Allure Home Sport Extreme

    Hugo Boss Bottled

    Versace Pour Homme

    Versace Eau Fraiche

    Creed Millesime Imperial

    Creed Virgin Island Water

    Creed Green Irish Tweed

    Creed Erolfa

     

    I ended up getting a lot of sample papers biggrin.gif. I liked Bleu de Chanel, YSL L'Homme, Versace Eau Fraiche, and Creed Erolfa. The ones that I really really liked and sprayed on my wrists (luckily I had a friend with me so I could use his wrists smile.gif) Creed Virgin Island Water, Creed Millesime Imperial, and Creed Green Irish Tweed.

     

    When I asked to smell Green Irish Tweed, the fragrance lady said something along the lines of, "It's kind of a musty smell and I don't really like it." My friend said the same thing too, but when I smelt it I actually kind of liked it. I sprayed it on my wrist and walked around to smell some other fragrances. Now not to sound too noobish here, but after about 10 minutes of wearing, the Green Irish Tweed got insanely good. I can't exactly tell you what it smells like to me because I am just starting out, but it is very clean and fresh with kind of some fresh sweet clover in it. I then asked my friend on the way back home to smell my wrist, and he said it smelled better to him (although I don't think he liked it as much as me). This fragrance is one of my favorites I smelled, but since the fragrance lady and my friend both had doubts about it at first, I am afraid that it might offend some people. What do you guys think? Is this a good semi-dressy or dressy fragrance? Does it offend people, or do you get a lot of complements?

     

    Before I went to the store did some research on some other good summer fragrances and I found that Creed's Millesime Imperial was pretty highly rated. I sprayed it on the opposite wrist from Green Irish Tweed. At first, I thought Millesime Imperial was very feminine. After about three hours now, it has gotten more "neutral", but I seem to have lost that fruity watermelon that people say it has. I didn't get a whole lot of it at first, but now I don't seem to get any. It now just smells kind of like sugar, or I guess sugar cane. I really want this to be good, but I just don't really find it amazing. I also still find it a bit on the feminine side too. Do you guys think it is too feminine? Do you think I should wait until my nose is more experienced before I buy this?

     

    I then sprayed Virgin Island Water on my friend's wrist. Virgin Island Water was very good. Right away it smelled like a tropical drink of some sort, mixed with some sun tan lotion which I hear people say a lot. I really like the smell overall, but I am just not sure if I could see myself wearing it as I live in a dry, hot area, not like a tropical place. Do you think it would be okay to where it here anyways?

     

    I got a few sample bottles too which I will have to try out tonight and tomorrow. The other ones I like were YSL L'Homme Versace Eau Fraiche (which I found to be very subtle), and Bleu de Chanel which I can't remember what it smells like tongue.gif.

     

    What do you guys think? I need about three total, one for going to school (semi-dressy), for summer, and for a dressy occasion. Thanks!

    7/3/13 at 8:15pm

    sjg3839 said:



    If you like the GIT. Get it! A great fragrance.

    7/3/13 at 8:56pm

    cacio said:



    As said, if you've found something you like, I don't see the problem. The sales assistant likely just wanted to push out whatever frag they have extra stock of. Green Irish Tweed is a classic and a good seller, so she doesn't need to move it out. I much prefer it to Virgin Island, which is simply too sweet and boozy, and to Millesime Imperial, which is a little too simple, especially for the price. The problem of GIT, of course, is that it is very expensive. Too much. Still, good it is.

     

    I wouldn't rush into buying 3 things at once. While you've tried some, there are dozen other things around, and likely you'll find other stuff you may prefer to a quick purchase. Take your time and you'll find another thing you're enthusiastic about.

     

    cacio

    7/3/13 at 9:23pm

    euge said:



    Go with Green Irish Tweed, I sound like a broken record with the amount of times I (and many others) suggest it to beginners

    7/3/13 at 9:31pm

    1adam12 said:



    I'll be real here. As much as I like the "if you like it, wear it" motto, I also realize high school can be rough place for that mindset. If you did get samples, you might consider wearing them around friends to see how they go.

    7/3/13 at 9:47pm

    hednic said:



    Green Irish Tweed, Virgin Island Water & MI are all fine fragrances. Pick what you like most.

    7/4/13 at 12:07am

    Greek Trojan said:



    Especially at your age, 3 bottles is  pretty pricey, especially if you are considering Creeds. My main advice would be to give multiple testings before a purchase to make you love the fragrance before you buy (especially if you are reading reviews online which might oversell how good a niche fragrances like GIT might smell compared to something else). If you like GIT, consider his cheaper but similar cousin Cool Water, and maybe other fresh/green/musky fragrances like Curve/Fierce/MB Legend/Platinum Egoiste.

    7/4/13 at 10:19pm

    Willanhanyard said:



    Okay, today I tried out Versace Eau Friache on one wrist, and Ysl L'Homme on the other. I also put Chanel's Allure Homme Sport Extreme and Hugo Boss Bottled on my friend. I like Eau Friache, but I don't really love it. I smell a lot of lemon in it, but overall it smells a bit synthetic. It seems like it would be good for a really hot day, but I just don't see myself wearing it. Ysl's L'Homme is pretty nice, I like it. I have La Nuit on a paper (unfortunately I didn't get a sample vial of it) and I can't decide between the two. Definitely like them both though. Then Allure Sport Eau Extreme which I liked a lot. It smells a lot like fresh laundry to me. It's soapy, clean, simple. I really like it. Finally, Boss Bottled. It's also very clean and nice. I like it just as much as the Chanel. My problem is though, I can't decide between the two.

     

    Can you guys recommend me some more summer scents?

    7/4/13 at 10:24pm

    1adam12 said:



    Try Bleu de Chanel.

    7/4/13 at 10:36pm

    1adam12 said:



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1adam12 View Post

    Try Bleu de Chanel.

     

    Oops. Saw you tried this one. Hard to keep track. If you can find it, give Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche a try. And since you're at least somewhat interested in niche, try Creed Aventus.

    7/4/13 at 11:22pm

    heperd said:



    Why didnt you get any samples? Nordstrom should have vials out so you can make your own samples of everything you want and if you ask very nicely the the SA should make you some of the Crewed samples. If she wont then find another SA that will. They for sure have drawers full of official Creed sample vials that they can give you. If you can go back just explain to them which ones you tested and ask for sampls of those and any others they recommend. If they see how interested you are then they will be very likely to be genorous with samples. 

    You should for sure retest MI. I dont think it is feminine at all. Versace Eau Fraiche is another one that is very fresh and modern so try it a few more times. Im sort of sad that I sold my bottle last year. Its also about a 4th of the price of Creeds if you buy online online. Perfect for high school.

    7/5/13 at 4:24am

    Jasman said:



    I'm plugging this a lot lately, but you might like Bvlgari Man Extreme, based on your criteria.  Very green and clean to my sensibilities, and generally more affordable on a high school budget than the (otherwise very good) Creed choices.

    7/5/13 at 5:05am

    hednic said:



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Willanhanyard View Post

    Can you guys recommend me some more summer scents?
    Monsieur Balmain

    7/5/13 at 5:56am

    Kaern said:



    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Willanhanyard View Post

     

    Can you guys recommend me some more summer scents?

     

    Rossissimo - Parfums de Rosine

    7/5/13 at 12:32pm

    Tony T said:



    I would consider the chanel's if I were you seriously. allure and all the flankers are great..

    7/6/13 at 7:39am

    Ken_Russell said:



    Congratulations for the fragrances tested- an extensive, well-assorted, versatile and tasteful selection. In my opinion, Bleu de Chanel, Terre d'Hermes and Creed GIT, with Allure and Boss Bottle as two alternative possibilities/runner-ups/additional choices would easily cover most fragrance wearing occasions and could be suitable with almost any outfit. Plus, most, if not all of them have enough classiness to be considered semi-dressy, work well in any weather (including during summer) and be fairly inoffensive too.