Thanks to a wonderful site (and amazingly helpful posters)

    Thanks to a wonderful site (and amazingly helpful posters)

    post #1 of 14
    Thread Starter 

    I have been bit by the fragrance bug.

    Wow.

    Until a few months ago, I spent 15 years with Aqua Di Gio.

    And then...I decided to try something new. And I discovered Basenotes.

    60+ samples later and the search has narrowed and deepened.

    You guys are awesome. Knowledgeable and generous with the insights.

    What I have learned:

    1. I need more than 1 scent.

    2. I like Aquas. Along those lines I tried

    Chanel Egoiste Platinum,Gucci by Gucci, Chanel The One Sport,MFK Aqua Universalis,Miyake Leau Dissey, APOM,Zegna Zegna. They seemed sweet to me.

    I went with Chanel Allure Homme Sport as my daily work scent

    I want to try
    Aqua di Gio Essenza
    Aqua di Parma Colonia
    Chanel allure homme sport extreme
    YSL Lhomme

    3. I like Vetivers. I tried Diptyque Vetyvero, Creed Original Vetiver, Tom Ford Vetiver, Artelier Vetiver Fatal, Guerlain Vetiver, Jo Malone Vetyver, & Olfactive Studios Flashback. Liked them all. Liked the citrusy element in the Vetiver Fatal. I want to try

    Hermes Vetiver Tonka
    Chanel Sycomore
    encre noir,vetyver loccitane,Vetiver Extraordinaire andSel de Vetiver

    4. I like Citrus. I like Jo Malone's Orange Blossom (more honeysuckle than orange to me), Tom Ford Neroli, Hermes Eau de Orange Concentrate and regular. And Bulgari Man Extreme (smells citrusy to me)

    5. I like some weird fragrances. YSL Gingember, Jo Malone Blackberry, Jo Malone Vanilla & Anise, Jo Malone Nutmeg & Ginger, Jo Malone Mint & Jasmine, Jo Malone Black Vetyver Cafe, & L'artisan Caligna

    6. Most importantly, I learned what I don't like. No tobacco, thx. No soapy smells. And so on, and so on.

    And I have everyone here to thank. I had no idea there were so many possibilities. As I explore my likes, I have come to rely on everyone's ideas. It's like saying that I like chocolate cake and discovering that there are endless types of textures, flavors and adders.

    Again, I thank you all. And I look forward to learning from you and your insights.

    post #2 of 14

    Welcome & Enjoy!!!

    post #3 of 14

    Welcome aboard!

    post #4 of 14
    Welcome to you and excite your olfactory senses here!
    post #5 of 14
    Good to hear.

    I guess the sage one is still pending huh wink.gif.
    post #6 of 14
    Welcome, sounds like you've made a fine start on your olfactive journey!
    Edited by Mick_Trick - 7/6/13 at 3:33am
    post #7 of 14

    Welcome and congratulations for the fragrance choices/experiences/testings so far.

    post #8 of 14

    That's awesome. Great story and thanks for the inspiring post!

    post #9 of 14

    Welcome! Sycomore is a great choice for vetiver! For citrus, try Chanel Allure homme edition blanche (rich and creamy lemon) and Eau de Rochas (bright sparkling lemon).

    post #10 of 14
    Thread Starter 

    The only sage frag I've sampled is Caligna. I want to explore this scent a bit.

    The sad part is that I'm a bit OCD, so I have to try all things in order to narrow the scope.

    post #11 of 14

    Welcome to the OP and great post. I feel your nickname is some sort of ironic take on the recent batch of newbies smile.gif.

    If you get a chance, try out Givenchy Vetyver.

    post #12 of 14

    ...

    post #13 of 14

    hope you open your mind to tobacco's.

    D&G

    THE DREAMER ETC....

    post #14 of 14
    To the OP: There's a lot to choose, from out there, from what you Do like
    class="

    7/5/13 at 8:54pm

    Happyguy said:



    I have been bit by the fragrance bug.

    Wow.

    Until a few months ago, I spent 15 years with Aqua Di Gio.

    And then...I decided to try something new. And I discovered Basenotes.

    60+ samples later and the search has narrowed and deepened.

    You guys are awesome. Knowledgeable and generous with the insights.

    What I have learned:

    1. I need more than 1 scent.

    2. I like Aquas. Along those lines I tried

    Chanel Egoiste Platinum,Gucci by Gucci, Chanel The One Sport,MFK Aqua Universalis,Miyake Leau Dissey, APOM,Zegna Zegna. They seemed sweet to me.

    I went with Chanel Allure Homme Sport as my daily work scent

    I want to try
    Aqua di Gio Essenza
    Aqua di Parma Colonia
    Chanel allure homme sport extreme
    YSL Lhomme

    3. I like Vetivers. I tried Diptyque Vetyvero, Creed Original Vetiver, Tom Ford Vetiver, Artelier Vetiver Fatal, Guerlain Vetiver, Jo Malone Vetyver, & Olfactive Studios Flashback. Liked them all. Liked the citrusy element in the Vetiver Fatal. I want to try

    Hermes Vetiver Tonka
    Chanel Sycomore
    encre noir,vetyver loccitane,Vetiver Extraordinaire andSel de Vetiver

    4. I like Citrus. I like Jo Malone's Orange Blossom (more honeysuckle than orange to me), Tom Ford Neroli, Hermes Eau de Orange Concentrate and regular. And Bulgari Man Extreme (smells citrusy to me)

    5. I like some weird fragrances. YSL Gingember, Jo Malone Blackberry, Jo Malone Vanilla & Anise, Jo Malone Nutmeg & Ginger, Jo Malone Mint & Jasmine, Jo Malone Black Vetyver Cafe, & L'artisan Caligna

    6. Most importantly, I learned what I don't like. No tobacco, thx. No soapy smells. And so on, and so on.

    And I have everyone here to thank. I had no idea there were so many possibilities. As I explore my likes, I have come to rely on everyone's ideas. It's like saying that I like chocolate cake and discovering that there are endless types of textures, flavors and adders.

    Again, I thank you all. And I look forward to learning from you and your insights.

    7/5/13 at 8:57pm

    badarun said:



    Welcome & Enjoy!!!

    7/5/13 at 9:00pm

    sjg3839 said:



    Welcome aboard!

    7/5/13 at 9:45pm

    hednic said:



    Welcome to you and excite your olfactory senses here!

    7/5/13 at 11:52pm

    hedonist222 said:



    Good to hear.

    I guess the sage one is still pending huh wink.gif.

    7/6/13 at 2:35am

    Mick_Trick said:



    Welcome, sounds like you've made a fine start on your olfactive journey!
    Edited by Mick_Trick - 7/6/13 at 3:33am

    7/6/13 at 7:41am

    Ken_Russell said:



    Welcome and congratulations for the fragrance choices/experiences/testings so far.

    7/6/13 at 7:57am

    Buysblind said:



    That's awesome. Great story and thanks for the inspiring post!

    7/6/13 at 8:37pm

    Gary F said:



    Welcome! Sycomore is a great choice for vetiver! For citrus, try Chanel Allure homme edition blanche (rich and creamy lemon) and Eau de Rochas (bright sparkling lemon).

    7/6/13 at 11:18pm

    Happyguy said:



    The only sage frag I've sampled is Caligna. I want to explore this scent a bit.

    The sad part is that I'm a bit OCD, so I have to try all things in order to narrow the scope.

    7/7/13 at 12:55am

    Surfacing said:



    Welcome to the OP and great post. I feel your nickname is some sort of ironic take on the recent batch of newbies smile.gif.

    If you get a chance, try out Givenchy Vetyver.

    7/7/13 at 1:10am

    lpp said:



    ...

    7/13/13 at 5:41pm

    Tony T said:



    hope you open your mind to tobacco's.

    D&G

    THE DREAMER ETC....

    7/13/13 at 7:23pm

    hednic said:



    To the OP: There's a lot to choose, from out there, from what you Do like





Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000