Floris of Jermyn Street

    Floris of Jermyn Street

    post #1 of 5
    Thread Starter 

    Hi,

     

    I have been reading about the famous perfume house Floris, which was founded in 1730 and has traded from its premises at 89 Jermyn Street for 280 years.  Clearly it is doing something right!  It received a Royal Warrant from Queen Victoria in 1837. It has enjoyed the patronage of ( not only royalty including Princess Diana) most of the famous celebrities throughout the ages.  Ian Fleming wore their products and even mentioned the company in Dr No (1958).  I intend to visit them in a couple of days time and wonder if any members have experience of them and more importantly any recommendations.  Does anyone know of their signatory scent "89" named after their shop number?

     

     

    Thank you for any inputs you would be good enough to proffer.

    post #2 of 5
    This house has a lot of fans here on Basenotes who enjoy their scents , although I don't count myself as one of them. I have tried several from this house but was left uninspired. Hope you have a better experience.
    post #3 of 5

    If you're visiting the shop during their sale, perhaps it's worth sampling them to see what you think?

    post #4 of 5

    It's a very nice shop and the staff are friendly. Bit of a strange area though -- like stepping back in time, lots of cravats and shaving brushes on show - lots of 'vintage' type shops..

     

    '89' is a masculine rose which I am very fond of. 'Santal' I like also.

     

    I wish they had kept their 'Sandalwood' going -- it was one of the best ever.

     

    They tend to go in for the more 'cologne' type scents, in line with their 'image'. None of them are horrible imo -- just a bit 'meh'.

    post #5 of 5
    Thread Starter 

    Hednic thank you for your reply.  Although Floris may have " a lot of fans here on Basenotes" only you and two others were kind enough to reply.

     

    Ipp thank you for your reply.  I have just visited them and although I tried several of their scents none attracted me enough to part with £100+ for a bottle.

     

    Kaern thank you for your reply.  You were absolutely right, it is a nice shop and staff were both friendly and helpful. I liked the vintage feel and appearance of the place.  As you so correctly told me their scents tend to be cologne types  and in all honesty I could not detect vast difference from one to another. 89 and Santal were pleasant enough but not outstanding for me.

     

    Overall I enjoyed the visit and was given a couple of samples to try at my own leisure.

    class="

    7/8/13 at 4:31am

    I am Snapper said:



    Hi,

     

    I have been reading about the famous perfume house Floris, which was founded in 1730 and has traded from its premises at 89 Jermyn Street for 280 years.  Clearly it is doing something right!  It received a Royal Warrant from Queen Victoria in 1837. It has enjoyed the patronage of ( not only royalty including Princess Diana) most of the famous celebrities throughout the ages.  Ian Fleming wore their products and even mentioned the company in Dr No (1958).  I intend to visit them in a couple of days time and wonder if any members have experience of them and more importantly any recommendations.  Does anyone know of their signatory scent "89" named after their shop number?

     

     

    Thank you for any inputs you would be good enough to proffer.

    7/8/13 at 5:34am

    hednic said:



    This house has a lot of fans here on Basenotes who enjoy their scents , although I don't count myself as one of them. I have tried several from this house but was left uninspired. Hope you have a better experience.

    7/8/13 at 6:31am

    lpp said:



    If you're visiting the shop during their sale, perhaps it's worth sampling them to see what you think?

    7/8/13 at 7:27am

    Kaern said:



    It's a very nice shop and the staff are friendly. Bit of a strange area though -- like stepping back in time, lots of cravats and shaving brushes on show - lots of 'vintage' type shops..

     

    '89' is a masculine rose which I am very fond of. 'Santal' I like also.

     

    I wish they had kept their 'Sandalwood' going -- it was one of the best ever.

     

    They tend to go in for the more 'cologne' type scents, in line with their 'image'. None of them are horrible imo -- just a bit 'meh'.

    7/11/13 at 2:38pm

    I am Snapper said:



    Hednic thank you for your reply.  Although Floris may have " a lot of fans here on Basenotes" only you and two others were kind enough to reply.

     

    Ipp thank you for your reply.  I have just visited them and although I tried several of their scents none attracted me enough to part with £100+ for a bottle.

     

    Kaern thank you for your reply.  You were absolutely right, it is a nice shop and staff were both friendly and helpful. I liked the vintage feel and appearance of the place.  As you so correctly told me their scents tend to be cologne types  and in all honesty I could not detect vast difference from one to another. 89 and Santal were pleasant enough but not outstanding for me.

     

    Overall I enjoyed the visit and was given a couple of samples to try at my own leisure.





Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000