Gunpowder Notes

    Gunpowder Notes

    post #1 of 26
    Thread Starter 

    I'm curious as I've seen this come up in a couple of places now (CdG's Amazing Green, Blood Concept's Black B), but has anyone toyed around with creating a gunpowder accord? It would seem that a combination of ashy and sulphurous notes might be heading in the right direction.

    post #2 of 26
    Have you smelled Kinski?
    post #3 of 26
    Thread Starter 
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hedonist222View Post

    Have you smelled Kinski?
    I have, but I seem to remember it as more dirty animalic than anything. I certainly liked it, and will have to find my sample and revisit it.
    post #4 of 26
    I wonder if Quinoline would work here? I know a lot of people say "leather" but to me it smells like burnt motor oil. Lol.

    Also Okaumol might help with that "sharp bottom"? I remember Cedramber having a very piercing dry down, too?

    Those last two may be too woodsy, but the intensity and "incense" is certainly there.
    post #5 of 26
    Thread Starter 
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JungleNYCView Post

    I wonder if Quinoline would work here? I know a lot of people say "leather" but to me it smells like burnt motor oil. Lol.

    Also Okaumol might help with that "sharp bottom"? I remember Cedramber having a very piercing dry down, too?

    Those last two may be too woodsy, but the intensity and "incense" is certainly there.

    Thanks for that. The quinoline sounds appealing, whether it would work or not. I shall add that to my list or materials to own!

    I'm thinking copal type notes, with something sulphurous added. I shall experiment!

    post #6 of 26

    There are several Quinolines, did you have a specific one in mind?

    post #7 of 26
    Thread Starter 
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pkilerView Post

    There are several Quinolines, did you have a specific one in mind?

    I did a quick search and found a company that stocked them. Their descriptions were fairly helpful, and it appears that isopropyl quinoline fits the description of gasoline (?). Butylquinoline sounds like the leathery one, though.

    post #8 of 26

    Sure, the Isopropyl is more metallic.

    The Isobutyl and the 6-Methyl are more leathery.

    The Tetrahydro para-methyl is more civet.

    Where did yo find sellers selling in small qty ?

    PA has the Isobutyl, but I wan't aware of other sellers of these stocks, in small amounts but for Bedoukian, when you pay the downsized charges. But they also won't ship the Isopropyl to Calif.

    post #9 of 26
    Thread Starter 
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pkilerView Post

    Sure, the Isopropyl is more metallic.

    The Isobutyl and the 6-Methyl are more leathery.

    The Tetrahydro para-methyl is more civet.

    Where did yo find sellers selling in small qty ?

    PA has the Isobutyl, but I wan't aware of other sellers of these stocks, in small amounts but for Bedoukian, when you pay the downsized charges. But they also won't ship the Isopropyl to Calif.

    Actually I don't know if they'll sell in small quantity. When I googled the chemical, I stumbled upon a company in Germany that had a large selection of AC and EO's.

    post #10 of 26

    Buchu has sulphurous aspects in a herbal way. I have some leaves. I haven't tinctured them yet, Where are you?

    Amber oil has a burnt airplane fuel note like gasoline or burning tar.

    Cade of course.

    Some of the cedars have that sharp edge of burnt almost the citrus aspects.

    Gunpowder also has quite a 'full' smell so maybe some of the smokier teas may add depth.

    post #11 of 26
    Thread Starter 
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mumsyView Post

    Buchu has sulphurous aspects in a herbal way. I have some leaves. I haven't tinctured them yet, Where are you?

    Amber oil has a burnt airplane fuel note like gasoline or burning tar.

    Cade of course.

    Some of the cedars have that sharp edge of burnt almost the citrus aspects.

    Gunpowder also has quite a 'full' smell so maybe some of the smokier teas may add depth.

    Great suggestions, Mumsy. I've actually got a few of those materials on order right now.

    post #12 of 26

    I forgot, incense of course.

    post #13 of 26
    You will know the right formula when the TSA won't let you board the flight! wink.gif
    post #14 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pkilerView Post

    Sure, the Isopropyl is more metallic.

    The Isobutyl and the 6-Methyl are more leathery.

    The Tetrahydro para-methyl is more civet.

    Where did yo find sellers selling in small qty ?

    PA has the Isobutyl, but I wan't aware of other sellers of these stocks, in small amounts but for Bedoukian, when you pay the downsized charges. But they also won't ship the Isopropyl to Calif.

    You can buy upwards of 20g herebut they are fairly costly. Was it expensive to buy these from Bedoukian? I don't know whether they are expensive materials to produce in the first place or not.

    post #15 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pkilerView Post

    There are several Quinolines, did you have a specific one in mind?

    Sorry.

    Iso Butyl Quinoline

    I bought mine as Pyralone at PA.
    post #16 of 26
    Thread Starter 
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JungleNYCView Post
    I bought mine as Pyralone at PA.

    Hmm. I just bought that myself. Haven't had the opportunity yet to play around with it much, but a cursory sniff suggests an almost bitter, stem-like note.

    post #17 of 26

    It might be interesting to see if the smoke from firecrackers could be captured. It could be dangerous sealing them in a greased metal tin though. You'd need a hole in the lid to let out the pressure from the explosion and you could then seal the hole to contain the smoke so that the fat could absorb it. The aroma could then be extracted from the fat with alcohol and filtered to remove any ash and fragments of paper.

    post #18 of 26




Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000