Alyssa Harad's Coming to my senses

    Alyssa Harad's Coming to my senses

    post #1 of 4
    Thread Starter 

    I remember hearing reports of this book here and there, but there's no thread. Since I won the book at perfumeshrine, I fell like I have to start one.

    It is a pleasant and readable memoir of her engagement and wedding, and her concurrent start of a love affair with perfumes. Perfume lovers will nod in assent at many of the moments (the sampling, the visit to good perfume stores, the lamentations for the IFRA restrictions, and so on). I think it makes a good read for somebody who likes memoirs (and I must say I am not one of them) and either knows nothing about perfumes, or is just starting. There is a lot of basic, but very useful information about perfumery interspersed in the story - so it's a fun way to get started with something that doesn't read like a manual.

    A curious (or frustrating) thing is that she does not say they name for half of the perfumes she cites. But perfume lovers are probably able to guess most of them.

    cacio

    post #2 of 4
    Thanks for this info regarding the book.
    post #3 of 4

    l thoroughly enjoyed most of this book, too. All the wedding stuff was not quite so interesting to me, but as cacio says, there are many moments of recognition for anyone has been on the perfume "journey". lt is warmly & affectionately written, & illustrates beautifully just how generous & friendly this world of "perfumistas" can be.

    post #4 of 4
    My interest in perfume was reinvigorated after reading this book. Prior to reading it I had no idea there were perfume blogs, decanting services, niche houses, etc. Now I visit several perfume blogs every day and routinely order samples and decanted perfume online.
    class="

    7/8/13 at 7:46pm

    cacio said:



    I remember hearing reports of this book here and there, but there's no thread. Since I won the book at perfumeshrine, I fell like I have to start one.

    It is a pleasant and readable memoir of her engagement and wedding, and her concurrent start of a love affair with perfumes. Perfume lovers will nod in assent at many of the moments (the sampling, the visit to good perfume stores, the lamentations for the IFRA restrictions, and so on). I think it makes a good read for somebody who likes memoirs (and I must say I am not one of them) and either knows nothing about perfumes, or is just starting. There is a lot of basic, but very useful information about perfumery interspersed in the story - so it's a fun way to get started with something that doesn't read like a manual.

    A curious (or frustrating) thing is that she does not say they name for half of the perfumes she cites. But perfume lovers are probably able to guess most of them.

    cacio

    7/9/13 at 3:27am

    hednic said:



    Thanks for this info regarding the book.

    7/10/13 at 1:02am

    teardrop said:



    l thoroughly enjoyed most of this book, too. All the wedding stuff was not quite so interesting to me, but as cacio says, there are many moments of recognition for anyone has been on the perfume "journey". lt is warmly & affectionately written, & illustrates beautifully just how generous & friendly this world of "perfumistas" can be.

    7/11/13 at 3:02pm

    Curly11 said:



    My interest in perfume was reinvigorated after reading this book. Prior to reading it I had no idea there were perfume blogs, decanting services, niche houses, etc. Now I visit several perfume blogs every day and routinely order samples and decanted perfume online.





Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000