Spray unopened bottle to test vintage?

    Spray unopened bottle to test vintage?

    post #1 of 7
    Thread Starter 

    I have recently got into the fragrance game and have been immediately drawn to the Yves Saint Laurent house. I have a question I'd like to please ask if anyone can offer their more experienced advice. 

     

    I have purchased a sealed bottle of Jazz Prestige from eBay (perfect quality), and have been contemplating purchasing a second bottle from the same seller to keep in reserve; however, I am unsure of what would be the best way to go about testing the bottle for its freshness. 

     

    Both bottles are 1.6oz, and I intend on keeping the second bottle stored for at least a few years (opening after the first is depleted). I suppose I'm just afraid that spraying the second bottle might cause it to turn faster. Would it be better to just sniff the atomizer and base my judgement on the faint scent? Or would I be able to get away with spraying it? I just don';t want to jeopardize the quality and at the same time not get swindled by a soured fragrance. 

     

    I am new to basenotes and have tried my best to search the forums to see if this question has been previously posted. If this is a repeat, I sincerely apologize. 

     

    If anyone has any advice I'd surely appreciate it. Thank you in advance for your time and consideration! 

    post #2 of 7

    It's really up to you, but I've always done a spritz or two to reassure myself that it was okay, before storing the bottle.

    post #3 of 7
    Thread Starter 

    I think I'll spray it then just to have that assurance. Like I said, I just didn't want to start the "count-down-clock" ;) but w/ your advice I know it'll be fine.

     

    Thank you! smiley.gif

    post #4 of 7

    Spritzing won't cause any problem. What you do have to do if you want to preserve it as long as possible is to keep it in the box, in the dark, and in a cool place, or at least, away from heat sources.

     

    cacio

    post #5 of 7
    Thread Starter 

    I will definitely keep them in a cool place! thanx for the tip cacio! smiley.gif

    post #6 of 7

    Only way to test is spray wouldn't buy second bottle untill i tested quality of first one

    post #7 of 7
    Thread Starter 

    I did check the quality of the first & it is immaculate :]

     

    but I will definitely spray the 2nd to be certain before putting into storage.

     

    Suppose it was a silly question to ask to begin with, but being new to this I want to start off right! smiley.gif

     

    Thanx for the advice Mccann! I really appreciate everyone being so helpful on this site... I really feel welcomed beer.gif

    class="

    7/16/13 at 1:39am

    kr1ms0nk1ng said:



    I have recently got into the fragrance game and have been immediately drawn to the Yves Saint Laurent house. I have a question I'd like to please ask if anyone can offer their more experienced advice. 

     

    I have purchased a sealed bottle of Jazz Prestige from eBay (perfect quality), and have been contemplating purchasing a second bottle from the same seller to keep in reserve; however, I am unsure of what would be the best way to go about testing the bottle for its freshness. 

     

    Both bottles are 1.6oz, and I intend on keeping the second bottle stored for at least a few years (opening after the first is depleted). I suppose I'm just afraid that spraying the second bottle might cause it to turn faster. Would it be better to just sniff the atomizer and base my judgement on the faint scent? Or would I be able to get away with spraying it? I just don';t want to jeopardize the quality and at the same time not get swindled by a soured fragrance. 

     

    I am new to basenotes and have tried my best to search the forums to see if this question has been previously posted. If this is a repeat, I sincerely apologize. 

     

    If anyone has any advice I'd surely appreciate it. Thank you in advance for your time and consideration! 

    7/16/13 at 5:41am

    30 Roses said:



    It's really up to you, but I've always done a spritz or two to reassure myself that it was okay, before storing the bottle.

    7/16/13 at 6:04pm

    kr1ms0nk1ng said:



    I think I'll spray it then just to have that assurance. Like I said, I just didn't want to start the "count-down-clock" ;) but w/ your advice I know it'll be fine.

     

    Thank you! smiley.gif

    7/16/13 at 7:26pm

    cacio said:



    Spritzing won't cause any problem. What you do have to do if you want to preserve it as long as possible is to keep it in the box, in the dark, and in a cool place, or at least, away from heat sources.

     

    cacio

    7/17/13 at 6:49am

    kr1ms0nk1ng said:



    I will definitely keep them in a cool place! thanx for the tip cacio! smiley.gif

    7/17/13 at 6:54am

    mccann690 said:



    Only way to test is spray wouldn't buy second bottle untill i tested quality of first one

    7/17/13 at 11:49am

    kr1ms0nk1ng said:



    I did check the quality of the first & it is immaculate :]

     

    but I will definitely spray the 2nd to be certain before putting into storage.

     

    Suppose it was a silly question to ask to begin with, but being new to this I want to start off right! smiley.gif

     

    Thanx for the advice Mccann! I really appreciate everyone being so helpful on this site... I really feel welcomed beer.gif