Hat color

    Hat color

    post #1 of 7
    Thread Starter 

    Does it matter?  I'm not talking ballcaps--I mean fedoras, flat caps, etc.  Is there some rule about matching your hat with...shirt? Pants? Shoes? No rule?

    post #2 of 7

    As with ties, I think one can experiment and be a little bold, so there's no need to match colors.

     

    Of course, straw or similar seem appropriate only for the summer or very warm days. And, as with all clothes, pure white can only be worn between memorial and labor day (but this applies only to pure white, yellowish or straw are not considered pure white).

     

    cacio

    post #3 of 7

    as long as it matches I would assume

    post #4 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cacio View Post

    As with ties, I think one can experiment and be a little bold, so there's no need to match colors.

    Agree
    post #5 of 7

    I'd say, from my own little experience with hats, that colors like black and dark gray are matched with pretty much any outfit, preferably of course office style, formal etc. outfits. 

     

    Of course, during summer, warmer weather and for casual wear, I could imagine light colors like white and beige also being quite appropriate and easily accessorized.

    post #6 of 7

    Personally, I think matching with your shoes/belt would be considered quite tasteful.  However, today's fashions are quite a bit freer than when I was growing up.  I'd say that provided it doesn't overtly clash, you should be good, but I wouldn't recommend a brown hat with black shoes, for example.

    post #7 of 7
    Thread Starter 

    About what I expected, but thought I'd check.  Thanks so much!!

    class="

    7/31/13 at 6:31am

    Teach13 said:



    Does it matter?  I'm not talking ballcaps--I mean fedoras, flat caps, etc.  Is there some rule about matching your hat with...shirt? Pants? Shoes? No rule?

    7/31/13 at 9:14am

    cacio said:



    As with ties, I think one can experiment and be a little bold, so there's no need to match colors.

     

    Of course, straw or similar seem appropriate only for the summer or very warm days. And, as with all clothes, pure white can only be worn between memorial and labor day (but this applies only to pure white, yellowish or straw are not considered pure white).

     

    cacio

    7/31/13 at 9:26am

    Tony T said:



    as long as it matches I would assume

    7/31/13 at 9:27am

    hednic said:



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cacio View Post

    As with ties, I think one can experiment and be a little bold, so there's no need to match colors.

    Agree

    7/31/13 at 10:37am

    Ken_Russell said:



    I'd say, from my own little experience with hats, that colors like black and dark gray are matched with pretty much any outfit, preferably of course office style, formal etc. outfits. 

     

    Of course, during summer, warmer weather and for casual wear, I could imagine light colors like white and beige also being quite appropriate and easily accessorized.

    7/31/13 at 10:41am

    danieq said:



    Personally, I think matching with your shoes/belt would be considered quite tasteful.  However, today's fashions are quite a bit freer than when I was growing up.  I'd say that provided it doesn't overtly clash, you should be good, but I wouldn't recommend a brown hat with black shoes, for example.

    8/1/13 at 5:07pm

    Teach13 said:



    About what I expected, but thought I'd check.  Thanks so much!!