Do pheromones exist?

    Do pheromones exist?

    post #1 of 16
    Thread Starter 

    Pheremones = a.k.a. a chemical odor that can attract the opposite sex

     

    This is a tough debate but for me it's easy: They don't exist.  Why?  For the fact that there isn't much evidence.

     

    I'm not saying that they certainly 100% don't exist.  But to the point where we can actually use them or market them, no.

     

    But the same with ghosts and UFO's, there just isn't enough positive evidence to support it, and by scientific standards (the same standards we use to judge the effectiveness of almost everything) pheromones are just not provable because they aren't falsifiable in any way.

     

    Also, placebo effect.

    post #2 of 16

    Also. I think there's some research that shows that body odor preferences vary - ie what one person thinks attractive isn't to others. I think I remember one study that showed that people seem to prefer sweat from people with somewhat different HLAs, or the like.

     

    That said, I don't think that pheromone research is not falsifiable. There is research being done on odors, but it's simply in infancy. It started with the observation that women tend to coordinate menstruum cycles when they live together.

     

    cacio

    post #3 of 16

    Do some reading before exposing yourself, again... :

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pheromone

     

    I have to ask this, are you a Creationist?

    post #4 of 16
    Yea Pheromones are definately real, buti think he was asking if Humans react to them in a similar vein to other animals. I believe there is some truth to Humans reacting to them, because of the fact that Women sync up during their periods. So there is some evidence.
    post #5 of 16

    Phermones?  Of course, they exist.  The real question is this:  Can we make a spray-on fragrance that attracts mates?  Probably nothing as effective as our own body odors.  Anything else would not be as complex, as unique, as fascinating as our own, individual scents.  It would be like wearing similar, beautiful masks.  Oh, wait.  We already do that with our clothing, hairstyles, and plastic surgery.   

     

    Profumo.it sells phermones.

    http://www.profumo.it/perfume/prodotti_offerte.asp

    If someone buys some, tell us if they work.

     

    I don't know if you remember, but, as a child, you knew what your mother smelled like.  You probably still do.  And you know the scent of your spouse or your children.  We all know how our loved ones smell.  It is pointless to isolate the "sexual" aromas from the "total" aromas of a person because we are attracted to the entire being.

    post #6 of 16
    How do bees and ants communicate with each other? Pheromones. Ever see an ant trail and notice that the ants travel on exactly the same route? That's what that is. And unlike ghosts or ufos, noir drakkar, there is plenty of biological and empirical evidence to affirm their existence. But I don't think this is your point. In my opinion, perfume does not serve a functional (sexual) purpose, so I think marketing pheromones as a sex drug is fatuous. But that's just me.
    post #7 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by treeman5823 View Post

    How do bees and ants communicate with each other? Pheromones. Ever see an ant trail and notice that the ants travel on exactly the same route? That's what that is. And unlike ghosts or ufos, noir drakkar, there is plenty of biological and empirical evidence to affirm their existence. But I don't think this is your point. In my opinion, perfume does not serve a functional (sexual) purpose, so I think marketing pheromones as a sex drug is fatuous. But that's just me.

     

    +1
    post #8 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by treeman5823 View Post

    How do bees and ants communicate with each other? Pheromones. Ever see an ant trail and notice that the ants travel on exactly the same route? That's what that is. And unlike ghosts or ufos, noir drakkar, there is plenty of biological and empirical evidence to affirm their existence. But I don't think this is your point. In my opinion, perfume does not serve a functional (sexual) purpose, so I think marketing pheromones as a sex drug is fatuous. But that's just me.
    Well stated.
    post #9 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by purplebird7 View Post

    Phermones?  Of course, they exist.  The real question is this:  Can we make a spray-on fragrance that attracts mates?  Probably nothing as effective as our own body odors.  Anything else would not be as complex, as unique, as fascinating as our own, individual scents.  It would be like wearing similar, beautiful masks.  Oh, wait.  We already do that with our clothing, hairstyles, and plastic surgery.   

     

    Profumo.it sells phermones.

    http://www.profumo.it/perfume/prodotti_offerte.asp

    If someone buys some, tell us if they work.

     

    I don't know if you remember, but, as a child, you knew what your mother smelled like.  You probably still do.  And you know the scent of your spouse or your children.  We all know how our loved ones smell.  It is pointless to isolate the "sexual" aromas from the "total" aromas of a person because we are attracted to the entire being.

    Wow!  Beautifully stated!

     

    I do think there is some ability for a perfume to evoke a sexual response in someone, but it is most certainly picked out from a scent by what an individual is attracted to and manifested by in that particular person's own desires.  You can't label one aroma as unequivically 'sexual', as opposed to another, I completely agree.

    post #10 of 16
    Thread Starter 

    Well, I mean existing in the sense we know it too.  

     

    And if it does exist, two questions:

    1. Is that the reason why some people are socially better than others and some people are better able to find a partner than others?

    2. Do we know enough about it that we can actually market them and sell them or assume that our success is due to them?

     

    No on both counts, unless you can source it.

     

    And Towers, if that was addressed to me, I'll pretend I didn't read that.

    post #11 of 16

    I believe in them but not strongly.

    attraction is more than a smell

    post #12 of 16

    --

    post #13 of 16

    Pheromones exist (there are numerous research articles which support this), as to whether they are marketable or not, I am unaware.  I would assume that they would have to be synthetic. That said, Victoria Secret makes a pheromone perfume that smells cheap and trashy, but for some reason the women I have smelled it on, whether they are my type or not, I seem to find myself...wondering about them. So, perhaps we are at a point where they are marketable.  That or I just secretly like the smell of cheap and trashylaugh.gif

    post #14 of 16

    Cheap and trashy can be fun!

     

    The point is, that aroma increases your confidence because it signals that these women are looking for partners, which is fuel for fantasy.  They might not be your type but they probably fit within your parameters for fantasy.   I bet it wouldn't work on women you found truly unattractive. 

     

    Consider this:  The scent of "mare in heat" is all a stallion needs to make a decision.  People are different.  Men are constantly surrounded by women who are in fertile cycles -- at work, at home, around schools, while shopping.  It would constitute a maladaptaion for humans if phermones were strong enough to override all other signals.  We'd be doing things that we, ourselves, didn't want to do!  evil.gif  

     

    We'd better hope no one makes one that effective.

    post #15 of 16
    Quote:
    Consider this:  The scent of "mare in heat" is all a stallion needs to make a decision

    If someone doesn't release a pheromone based perfume now called "Mare in Heat", and an equally titled "Stallion something something", I will be completely disappointed.  ;p 

    post #16 of 16

    Sadly enough, it probably would sell well. ;p ;p 

    How about:  "Stallion at Stud."

    class="

    7/31/13 at 2:46pm

    noirdrakkar said:



    Pheremones = a.k.a. a chemical odor that can attract the opposite sex

     

    This is a tough debate but for me it's easy: They don't exist.  Why?  For the fact that there isn't much evidence.

     

    I'm not saying that they certainly 100% don't exist.  But to the point where we can actually use them or market them, no.

     

    But the same with ghosts and UFO's, there just isn't enough positive evidence to support it, and by scientific standards (the same standards we use to judge the effectiveness of almost everything) pheromones are just not provable because they aren't falsifiable in any way.

     

    Also, placebo effect.

    7/31/13 at 3:22pm

    cacio said:



    Also. I think there's some research that shows that body odor preferences vary - ie what one person thinks attractive isn't to others. I think I remember one study that showed that people seem to prefer sweat from people with somewhat different HLAs, or the like.

     

    That said, I don't think that pheromone research is not falsifiable. There is research being done on odors, but it's simply in infancy. It started with the observation that women tend to coordinate menstruum cycles when they live together.

     

    cacio

    8/1/13 at 5:45am

    Brian_Towers said:



    Do some reading before exposing yourself, again... :

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pheromone

     

    I have to ask this, are you a Creationist?

    8/1/13 at 6:01am

    williampaul1969 said:



    Yea Pheromones are definately real, buti think he was asking if Humans react to them in a similar vein to other animals. I believe there is some truth to Humans reacting to them, because of the fact that Women sync up during their periods. So there is some evidence.

    8/1/13 at 6:31am

    purplebird7 said:



    Phermones?  Of course, they exist.  The real question is this:  Can we make a spray-on fragrance that attracts mates?  Probably nothing as effective as our own body odors.  Anything else would not be as complex, as unique, as fascinating as our own, individual scents.  It would be like wearing similar, beautiful masks.  Oh, wait.  We already do that with our clothing, hairstyles, and plastic surgery.   

     

    Profumo.it sells phermones.

    http://www.profumo.it/perfume/prodotti_offerte.asp

    If someone buys some, tell us if they work.

     

    I don't know if you remember, but, as a child, you knew what your mother smelled like.  You probably still do.  And you know the scent of your spouse or your children.  We all know how our loved ones smell.  It is pointless to isolate the "sexual" aromas from the "total" aromas of a person because we are attracted to the entire being.

    8/1/13 at 7:23am

    treeman5823 said:



    How do bees and ants communicate with each other? Pheromones. Ever see an ant trail and notice that the ants travel on exactly the same route? That's what that is. And unlike ghosts or ufos, noir drakkar, there is plenty of biological and empirical evidence to affirm their existence. But I don't think this is your point. In my opinion, perfume does not serve a functional (sexual) purpose, so I think marketing pheromones as a sex drug is fatuous. But that's just me.

    8/1/13 at 8:49am

    williampaul1969 said:



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by treeman5823 View Post

    How do bees and ants communicate with each other? Pheromones. Ever see an ant trail and notice that the ants travel on exactly the same route? That's what that is. And unlike ghosts or ufos, noir drakkar, there is plenty of biological and empirical evidence to affirm their existence. But I don't think this is your point. In my opinion, perfume does not serve a functional (sexual) purpose, so I think marketing pheromones as a sex drug is fatuous. But that's just me.

     

    +1

    8/1/13 at 10:47am

    hednic said:



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by treeman5823 View Post

    How do bees and ants communicate with each other? Pheromones. Ever see an ant trail and notice that the ants travel on exactly the same route? That's what that is. And unlike ghosts or ufos, noir drakkar, there is plenty of biological and empirical evidence to affirm their existence. But I don't think this is your point. In my opinion, perfume does not serve a functional (sexual) purpose, so I think marketing pheromones as a sex drug is fatuous. But that's just me.
    Well stated.

    8/1/13 at 11:01am

    Nymphaea said:



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by purplebird7 View Post

    Phermones?  Of course, they exist.  The real question is this:  Can we make a spray-on fragrance that attracts mates?  Probably nothing as effective as our own body odors.  Anything else would not be as complex, as unique, as fascinating as our own, individual scents.  It would be like wearing similar, beautiful masks.  Oh, wait.  We already do that with our clothing, hairstyles, and plastic surgery.   

     

    Profumo.it sells phermones.

    http://www.profumo.it/perfume/prodotti_offerte.asp

    If someone buys some, tell us if they work.

     

    I don't know if you remember, but, as a child, you knew what your mother smelled like.  You probably still do.  And you know the scent of your spouse or your children.  We all know how our loved ones smell.  It is pointless to isolate the "sexual" aromas from the "total" aromas of a person because we are attracted to the entire being.

    Wow!  Beautifully stated!

     

    I do think there is some ability for a perfume to evoke a sexual response in someone, but it is most certainly picked out from a scent by what an individual is attracted to and manifested by in that particular person's own desires.  You can't label one aroma as unequivically 'sexual', as opposed to another, I completely agree.

    8/1/13 at 11:53am

    noirdrakkar said:



    Well, I mean existing in the sense we know it too.  

     

    And if it does exist, two questions:

    1. Is that the reason why some people are socially better than others and some people are better able to find a partner than others?

    2. Do we know enough about it that we can actually market them and sell them or assume that our success is due to them?

     

    No on both counts, unless you can source it.

     

    And Towers, if that was addressed to me, I'll pretend I didn't read that.

    8/1/13 at 12:00pm

    Tony T said:



    I believe in them but not strongly.

    attraction is more than a smell

    8/1/13 at 12:42pm

    deadidol said:



    --

    8/1/13 at 3:56pm

    MuskOx said:



    Pheromones exist (there are numerous research articles which support this), as to whether they are marketable or not, I am unaware.  I would assume that they would have to be synthetic. That said, Victoria Secret makes a pheromone perfume that smells cheap and trashy, but for some reason the women I have smelled it on, whether they are my type or not, I seem to find myself...wondering about them. So, perhaps we are at a point where they are marketable.  That or I just secretly like the smell of cheap and trashylaugh.gif

    8/2/13 at 5:32am

    purplebird7 said:



    Cheap and trashy can be fun!

     

    The point is, that aroma increases your confidence because it signals that these women are looking for partners, which is fuel for fantasy.  They might not be your type but they probably fit within your parameters for fantasy.   I bet it wouldn't work on women you found truly unattractive. 

     

    Consider this:  The scent of "mare in heat" is all a stallion needs to make a decision.  People are different.  Men are constantly surrounded by women who are in fertile cycles -- at work, at home, around schools, while shopping.  It would constitute a maladaptaion for humans if phermones were strong enough to override all other signals.  We'd be doing things that we, ourselves, didn't want to do!  evil.gif  

     

    We'd better hope no one makes one that effective.

    8/3/13 at 1:20am

    MuskOx said:



    Quote:
    Consider this:  The scent of "mare in heat" is all a stallion needs to make a decision

    If someone doesn't release a pheromone based perfume now called "Mare in Heat", and an equally titled "Stallion something something", I will be completely disappointed.  ;p 

    8/3/13 at 6:49am

    purplebird7 said:



    Sadly enough, it probably would sell well. ;p ;p 

    How about:  "Stallion at Stud."