Increasing the Mod Team

    Increasing the Mod Team

    post #1 of 10
    Thread Starter 

    Basenotes would not be able to function without the dedication of its volunteer mod team. The mods give of their free time to ensure the boards are protected, sign posted and supported.

    The mod team have been let down of late as the changes we have been under going have taken over and have left them unsupported and under staffed. We aim to rectify this with a new set of clear and concise user guidelines, uniform standard responses to send out to members whose posts have been moderated and an increase in the number of moderators.

    We aim to eventually grow the team to 30 and we would like your help.

    If you feel that someone has great mod potential or that you, yourself would like to help the site in this way I want to hear from you. Please PM me with details of who and why. The new additions to the team will be announced as they are appointed over the coming weeks.

    Thank you to our ever growing membership for your continued support.

    Onwards and upwards!

    Danielle

    post #2 of 10

    seems difficult and a lotta work.

    thz to u guys

    great job!!!

    post #3 of 10
    Just wanted to thank the mod team for doing an amazing job. You guys keep this place running.
    post #4 of 10

    Thanks to all the moderators here. A very special thank you to Stuigi !

    post #5 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mimi GardeniaView Post

    Thanks to all the moderators here.
    Here here!
    post #6 of 10

    Danielle, is there anyplace we can read some information about what being a moderator involves? For example, the time commitment, how it works, what's expected, what a "day in the life" might look like, etc.?

    Apologies if I've missed it. I'm not sure I have the time or temperament or skill to be a moderator, but it would be interesting to know more, and you may attract some interest if people can see a bit more what it's about.

    And big thanks to the moderators, also.

    post #7 of 10

    Good idea, Kagey - suggest sending a p.m. & asking for further details.

    post #8 of 10
    Thread Starter 

    Good question! Please see below for a rough outline of the role. The level of commitment and time is best discussed on a person by person case. We understand that this is a voluntary role and people have many commitments that may change and affect the amount of time one can offer. As a general rule of thumb, we would want the current amount of time a person spends on BN to remain the same. That is why the mods tend to be people who spend a bit more time being active on the boards. We hope to grow the team to 30 eventually, so there will be a lot more flexibility than there is amongst our poor over-worked team at the moment.

    Moderator Role Specification

    The role of the moderator is that of guide and support first and foremost. The main tasks of a moderator can be broadly seperated into 4 areas:

    Organising and Managing the Boards

    This is probably the first area that people think of when they think moderator. Merging duplicate threads, deleting spam, moving threads to the right boards, directing people who are looking a bit lost on the boards...This is all part of the moderating role.

    Contributing Quality Content

    There are a number of considerations when appointing moderators. Not least of these is the quality and frequency of posting. As somebody who has themselves been posting, asking questions and starting interesting and engaging discussions, a moderator will be perfectly placed to ensure that the boards continue to thrive.

    Promoting a Friendly Environment

    Basenotes is a recreational environment. It is for many a virtual cafe, bar or common room where people come to unwind, chat with friends and talk about their hobby. It is not a class room. People should not feel that they are treading on egg shells if they are being humourous or talking about a relevant controversial issue. Some degree of self censorship and the helpful guidance of other members should be allowed to ensure that the environment is not authoritarian. Moderators should in the first instance offer guidance and direction to posters who are ruffling feathers. This is a place for lively debate and moderators will be expected to try to nurture interesting content in an inclusive and friendly manner without stifling freedom of speech. It’s a tall order but it’s a key task! In the instance of racist, misogynistic, homophobic or otherwise discriminatory or violent rhetoric, there is of course a zero tolerance policy.

    Providing Basic Technical Support

    Moderators will receive training so that they are able to provide basic technical support to Basenotes members. Questions about how to change a profile picture, alter the appearance of posts, PM and block members etc. are all things that a moderator should be able to help with.

    post #9 of 10
    Thank you, mods, for all that you do. I enjoy my time spent on Basenotes because of your dedication.
    post #10 of 10

    It must be a difficult task at times - thanks.

    class="

    8/1/13 at 3:56am

    DanielleCooper said:



    Basenotes would not be able to function without the dedication of its volunteer mod team. The mods give of their free time to ensure the boards are protected, sign posted and supported.

    The mod team have been let down of late as the changes we have been under going have taken over and have left them unsupported and under staffed. We aim to rectify this with a new set of clear and concise user guidelines, uniform standard responses to send out to members whose posts have been moderated and an increase in the number of moderators.

    We aim to eventually grow the team to 30 and we would like your help.

    If you feel that someone has great mod potential or that you, yourself would like to help the site in this way I want to hear from you. Please PM me with details of who and why. The new additions to the team will be announced as they are appointed over the coming weeks.

    Thank you to our ever growing membership for your continued support.

    Onwards and upwards!

    Danielle

    8/1/13 at 12:32pm

    Tony T said:



    seems difficult and a lotta work.

    thz to u guys

    great job!!!

    8/1/13 at 12:46pm

    williampaul1969 said:



    Just wanted to thank the mod team for doing an amazing job. You guys keep this place running.

    8/1/13 at 12:55pm

    Mimi Gardenia said:



    Thanks to all the moderators here. A very special thank you to Stuigi !

    8/1/13 at 1:05pm

    hednic said:



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mimi GardeniaView Post

    Thanks to all the moderators here.
    Here here!

    8/5/13 at 1:40am

    Kagey said:



    Danielle, is there anyplace we can read some information about what being a moderator involves? For example, the time commitment, how it works, what's expected, what a "day in the life" might look like, etc.?

    Apologies if I've missed it. I'm not sure I have the time or temperament or skill to be a moderator, but it would be interesting to know more, and you may attract some interest if people can see a bit more what it's about.

    And big thanks to the moderators, also.

    8/5/13 at 1:50am

    lpp said:



    Good idea, Kagey - suggest sending a p.m. & asking for further details.

    8/5/13 at 4:10am

    DanielleCooper said:



    Good question! Please see below for a rough outline of the role. The level of commitment and time is best discussed on a person by person case. We understand that this is a voluntary role and people have many commitments that may change and affect the amount of time one can offer. As a general rule of thumb, we would want the current amount of time a person spends on BN to remain the same. That is why the mods tend to be people who spend a bit more time being active on the boards. We hope to grow the team to 30 eventually, so there will be a lot more flexibility than there is amongst our poor over-worked team at the moment.

    Moderator Role Specification

    The role of the moderator is that of guide and support first and foremost. The main tasks of a moderator can be broadly seperated into 4 areas:

    Organising and Managing the Boards

    This is probably the first area that people think of when they think moderator. Merging duplicate threads, deleting spam, moving threads to the right boards, directing people who are looking a bit lost on the boards...This is all part of the moderating role.

    Contributing Quality Content

    There are a number of considerations when appointing moderators. Not least of these is the quality and frequency of posting. As somebody who has themselves been posting, asking questions and starting interesting and engaging discussions, a moderator will be perfectly placed to ensure that the boards continue to thrive.

    Promoting a Friendly Environment

    Basenotes is a recreational environment. It is for many a virtual cafe, bar or common room where people come to unwind, chat with friends and talk about their hobby. It is not a class room. People should not feel that they are treading on egg shells if they are being humourous or talking about a relevant controversial issue. Some degree of self censorship and the helpful guidance of other members should be allowed to ensure that the environment is not authoritarian. Moderators should in the first instance offer guidance and direction to posters who are ruffling feathers. This is a place for lively debate and moderators will be expected to try to nurture interesting content in an inclusive and friendly manner without stifling freedom of speech. It’s a tall order but it’s a key task! In the instance of racist, misogynistic, homophobic or otherwise discriminatory or violent rhetoric, there is of course a zero tolerance policy.

    Providing Basic Technical Support

    Moderators will receive training so that they are able to provide basic technical support to Basenotes members. Questions about how to change a profile picture, alter the appearance of posts, PM and block members etc. are all things that a moderator should be able to help with.

    8/5/13 at 3:56pm

    Curly11 said:



    Thank you, mods, for all that you do. I enjoy my time spent on Basenotes because of your dedication.

    8/6/13 at 7:06am

    lpp said:



    It must be a difficult task at times - thanks.