Soap, deodorant, shampoo: unscented or what?

    Soap, deodorant, shampoo: unscented or what?

    post #1 of 17
    Thread Starter 
    I've wondered if I should be using unscented products? I have some Mitchum gel deodorant and it is actually pretty pungent but it isn't as strong smelling as say Old Spice. Does soap or shampoo or anything like that matter much when wearing a fragrance to anyone else? I'm spending a great deal of money on building the beginning of a good collection and I want to be able to smell them as much as I can to learn as much as I can about all the notes, etc. Any thoughts?
    post #2 of 17
    Personally, I'd stay with unscented or mild smelling soaps, deodorants and shampoos.
    post #3 of 17

    Shampoos and soap smells usually go away very quickly, so you shouldn't worry about clashes or the like. They're just to get a nice smell while you are washing yourself, they don't last.

    Deodorants can last a little longer, so it is perhaps better to match or use unscented.

     

    cacio

    post #4 of 17
    I just use Dove soap for my body, and Head and Shoulders for my hair. Neither affect my fragrance use at all. Just go with mild scented things and you should be fine.
    post #5 of 17
    Thread Starter 
    Awesome response, thank you all. I may even wait a little longer after my showers to apply any scents. I had a dermatologist tell me that ~30 minutes after bathing is when your skin begins to calm down from any irritation caused during washing and such.
    post #6 of 17
    Thread Starter 
    I should note that he could have been being more specific to my sensitive natured skin, just FYI.
    post #7 of 17

    Good idea. Waiting is good not only to avoid further irritation, but because the skin is dry and the frag will last less if you apply right after a shower when the skin is dry. Better to wait until some of the natural skin oils have come back again.

     

    cacio

    post #8 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cacio View Post

    Good idea. Waiting is good not only to avoid further irritation, but because the skin is dry and the frag will last less if you apply right after a shower when the skin is dry. Better to wait until some of the natural skin oils have come back again.

    cacio
    You can also put on a little unscented lotion to improve longevity.
    post #9 of 17

    It's far easier to just go unscented or lightly scented unless you have a gift set of something and it includes soap/shower gel/shampoo/deodorant etc If you have money to squander and burn by all means go ahead and pay 20, 30, 40, 50+, bucks for deodorants and shower gels that won't last any longer or work any better than 5 dollar stuff if you so desire, the very thought of 50 dollar plus deodorant sticks makes me cringe however.  I tend to use "fresh" stuff like Axe Shock or Adidas Extra Fresh for "summery" light scents and stuff like Dark Temptation or Chandrika or Bee and Flower Sandalwood for the heavier deeper wintry scents - as others have said, it's not really that important because the scent of shower gels especially generally doesn't last long and a 5 dollar unscented deodorant does what it's supposed to do just as well as a 60, 80 dollar Creed one does, but IF you are filthy rich, what does it matter?

    post #10 of 17

    I would stick with the unscented (as long as they actually work).

    post #11 of 17

    not a big issue for me.

    whatever is on sale.

    post #12 of 17

    I use Certain Dri deodorant, which is totally unscented and also basically shuts down your armpit's sweat glands.
    My pits literally don't sweat AT ALL when I'm using this stuff, it's pretty awesome.

    There are a few vitamin stores out there sell unscented shampoo, but good luck finding any at a store in person.
    I ended up buying some online.

    post #13 of 17

    Whenever I choose a soap, deo or shampoo, I always try to find something unscented, neutrally/lightly scented or from the same matched sctened product range of the fragrance.  

    post #14 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post

    Whenever I choose a soap, deo or shampoo, I always try to find something unscented, neutrally/lightly scented or from the same matched sctened product range of the fragrance.  
    +1
    post #15 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post

    Whenever I choose a soap, deo or shampoo, I always try to find something unscented, neutrally/lightly scented or from the same matched sctened product range of the fragrance.  
    Agree. Sometimes a soap or shampoo might go with a similar fragrance too.
    post #16 of 17

    The only thing i keep fragrance free is my hand cream or body lotion. 

    post #17 of 17
    I use scented soap, shampoo & conditioner. Deodorant and lotion are unscented.
    class="

    8/1/13 at 5:19am

    YellowFlash said:



    I've wondered if I should be using unscented products? I have some Mitchum gel deodorant and it is actually pretty pungent but it isn't as strong smelling as say Old Spice. Does soap or shampoo or anything like that matter much when wearing a fragrance to anyone else? I'm spending a great deal of money on building the beginning of a good collection and I want to be able to smell them as much as I can to learn as much as I can about all the notes, etc. Any thoughts?

    8/1/13 at 6:29am

    hednic said:



    Personally, I'd stay with unscented or mild smelling soaps, deodorants and shampoos.

    8/1/13 at 8:09am

    cacio said:



    Shampoos and soap smells usually go away very quickly, so you shouldn't worry about clashes or the like. They're just to get a nice smell while you are washing yourself, they don't last.

    Deodorants can last a little longer, so it is perhaps better to match or use unscented.

     

    cacio

    8/1/13 at 8:38am

    williampaul1969 said:



    I just use Dove soap for my body, and Head and Shoulders for my hair. Neither affect my fragrance use at all. Just go with mild scented things and you should be fine.

    8/1/13 at 8:50am

    YellowFlash said:



    Awesome response, thank you all. I may even wait a little longer after my showers to apply any scents. I had a dermatologist tell me that ~30 minutes after bathing is when your skin begins to calm down from any irritation caused during washing and such.

    8/1/13 at 8:51am

    YellowFlash said:



    I should note that he could have been being more specific to my sensitive natured skin, just FYI.

    8/1/13 at 9:02am

    cacio said:



    Good idea. Waiting is good not only to avoid further irritation, but because the skin is dry and the frag will last less if you apply right after a shower when the skin is dry. Better to wait until some of the natural skin oils have come back again.

     

    cacio

    8/1/13 at 9:17am

    williampaul1969 said:



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cacio View Post

    Good idea. Waiting is good not only to avoid further irritation, but because the skin is dry and the frag will last less if you apply right after a shower when the skin is dry. Better to wait until some of the natural skin oils have come back again.

    cacio
    You can also put on a little unscented lotion to improve longevity.

    8/1/13 at 9:54am

    Katana said:



    It's far easier to just go unscented or lightly scented unless you have a gift set of something and it includes soap/shower gel/shampoo/deodorant etc If you have money to squander and burn by all means go ahead and pay 20, 30, 40, 50+, bucks for deodorants and shower gels that won't last any longer or work any better than 5 dollar stuff if you so desire, the very thought of 50 dollar plus deodorant sticks makes me cringe however.  I tend to use "fresh" stuff like Axe Shock or Adidas Extra Fresh for "summery" light scents and stuff like Dark Temptation or Chandrika or Bee and Flower Sandalwood for the heavier deeper wintry scents - as others have said, it's not really that important because the scent of shower gels especially generally doesn't last long and a 5 dollar unscented deodorant does what it's supposed to do just as well as a 60, 80 dollar Creed one does, but IF you are filthy rich, what does it matter?

    8/1/13 at 12:05pm

    sjg3839 said:



    I would stick with the unscented (as long as they actually work).

    8/1/13 at 12:21pm

    Tony T said:



    not a big issue for me.

    whatever is on sale.

    8/1/13 at 8:11pm

    fan.of.devin said:



    I use Certain Dri deodorant, which is totally unscented and also basically shuts down your armpit's sweat glands.
    My pits literally don't sweat AT ALL when I'm using this stuff, it's pretty awesome.

    There are a few vitamin stores out there sell unscented shampoo, but good luck finding any at a store in person.
    I ended up buying some online.

    8/2/13 at 12:01am

    Ken_Russell said:



    Whenever I choose a soap, deo or shampoo, I always try to find something unscented, neutrally/lightly scented or from the same matched sctened product range of the fragrance.  

    8/2/13 at 12:34am

    Preston H said:



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post

    Whenever I choose a soap, deo or shampoo, I always try to find something unscented, neutrally/lightly scented or from the same matched sctened product range of the fragrance.  
    +1

    8/2/13 at 12:44am

    rbaker said:



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post

    Whenever I choose a soap, deo or shampoo, I always try to find something unscented, neutrally/lightly scented or from the same matched sctened product range of the fragrance.  
    Agree. Sometimes a soap or shampoo might go with a similar fragrance too.

    8/2/13 at 6:53am

    Van Buren Boy said:



    The only thing i keep fragrance free is my hand cream or body lotion. 

    8/2/13 at 5:39pm

    Curly11 said:



    I use scented soap, shampoo & conditioner. Deodorant and lotion are unscented.