What is the worst phrase of the 2000's?

    What is the worst phrase of the 2000's?

    post #1 of 28
    Thread Starter 

    It is what it is.

    ex manager used to say this at roll call at 4a.m. everyday

    post #2 of 28
    What'd prompt him to say?
    post #3 of 28
    Thread Starter 

    today's going to be busy.

    we have this number of call-offs.

    important SSI info

    post #4 of 28

    YOLO. Enough said...

    post #5 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tony TView Post

    It is what it is.

    ex manager used to say this at roll call at 4a.m. everyday


    I use it all the time... lol

    Definitely not the most intelligent phrase, rather king of redundancy and obviousness.
    post #6 of 28
    Not a phrase, but speaks volumes about those who use it, to me... Swag!
    post #7 of 28

    These are some annoying office phrases, why do people think they are been smart when they start speaking office babble instead of English.

    Take it to the next level - Make something better.

    I’ll ping you an agenda - I'll send you a email.

    Best practice - A good way of doing something.

    It's a no brainer - This is a good idea.

    It’s a win-win situation - It's a really good idea.

    Low-hanging fruit -An easily-achievable goal.

    Flag up - I'm making you aware of something.

    It's on my radar - I'm aware of something.

    Touch base - Lets talk.

    Reach out - Lets talk more.

    post #8 of 28

    Another example is, at least where I live, the overuse during the early 2000s of the verb "socialize" in any form of conversation, on any professional or personal occasion, up to the point that almost everyone uses it but few actually understand it and don't just repeat it mechanically.

    In brief- one can easily get to hear or even see written in different media tens or hundreds of times a day, 24/7, expressions like: "let's socialize", "you/one/I/we etc. should socialize more", "it's great to socialize", "you don't socialize enough".

    post #9 of 28

    1) 110%

    2) Kim Kardashian

    post #10 of 28
    That's awesome! - shows a lack of vocabulary skills among young people in my country. Seems like that's the only word they can use to describe what they want to say.
    post #11 of 28

    'my bad'

    and just about anything that is being grunted or mumbled rather than spoken in precise tones. (frequently done by teens but more and more prominent among adults in my country)

    I do like 'it is what it is', given that we live in a society where we seem to think we can fix every single problem. Seems a useful phrase that speaks of learning to be content with what can't be changed. But maybe that is just me.

    post #12 of 28
    Who let the dogs out???
    post #13 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jack HunterView Post

    These are some annoying office phrases, why do people think they are been smart when they start speaking office babble instead of English.

    Take it to the next level - Make something better.

    I’ll ping you an agenda - I'll send you a email.

    Best practice - A good way of doing something.

    It's a no brainer - This is a good idea.

    It’s a win-win situation - It's a really good idea.

    Low-hanging fruit -An easily-achievable goal.

    Flag up - I'm making you aware of something.

    It's on my radar - I'm aware of something.

    Touch base - Lets talk.

    Reach out - Lets talk more.

    This sounds like an Amway meeting.
    post #14 of 28
    Thread Starter 
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by williampaul1969View Post

    Who let the dogs out???

    might have been in the 90's.

    played at every football game

    post #15 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tony TView Post

    It is what it is.

    ex manager used to say this at roll call at 4a.m. everyday

    Everybody seems to say that.

    It's just dumb.

    post #16 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dougczarView Post

    1) 110%

    2) Kim Kardashian


    I feel your pain

    post #17 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jack HunterView Post

    These are some annoying office phrases, why do people think they are been smart when they start speaking office babble instead of English.

    Take it to the next level - Make something better.

    I’ll ping you an agenda - I'll send you a email.

    Best practice - A good way of doing something.

    It's a no brainer - This is a good idea.

    It’s a win-win situation - It's a really good idea.

    Low-hanging fruit -An easily-achievable goal.

    Flag up - I'm making you aware of something.

    It's on my radar - I'm aware of something.

    Touch base - Lets talk.

    Reach out - Lets talk more.


    Just reading the list is a difficult experience.

    post #18 of 28

    How about this one:

    "...I'm Just Sayin'"

    When someone adds this to a statement they make, it only serves to show that they, in fact, have NOTHING at all to say.

    Such phrases are a cancer to any possibility of effective dialogue.

    8/2/13 at 12:08pm

    Tony T said:



    It is what it is.

    ex manager used to say this at roll call at 4a.m. everyday

    8/2/13 at 4:08pm

    hedonist222 said:



    What'd prompt him to say?

    8/2/13 at 4:10pm

    Tony T said:



    today's going to be busy.

    we have this number of call-offs.

    important SSI info

    8/2/13 at 7:13pm

    naylor said:



    YOLO. Enough said...

    8/2/13 at 7:24pm

    BeyondTheBox said:



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tony TView Post

    It is what it is.

    ex manager used to say this at roll call at 4a.m. everyday


    I use it all the time... lol

    Definitely not the most intelligent phrase, rather king of redundancy and obviousness.

    8/2/13 at 7:40pm

    BeyondTheBox said:



    Not a phrase, but speaks volumes about those who use it, to me... Swag!

    8/3/13 at 1:22am

    Jack Hunter said:



    These are some annoying office phrases, why do people think they are been smart when they start speaking office babble instead of English.

    Take it to the next level - Make something better.

    I’ll ping you an agenda - I'll send you a email.

    Best practice - A good way of doing something.

    It's a no brainer - This is a good idea.

    It’s a win-win situation - It's a really good idea.

    Low-hanging fruit -An easily-achievable goal.

    Flag up - I'm making you aware of something.

    It's on my radar - I'm aware of something.

    Touch base - Lets talk.

    Reach out - Lets talk more.

    8/3/13 at 1:40am

    Ken_Russell said:



    Another example is, at least where I live, the overuse during the early 2000s of the verb "socialize" in any form of conversation, on any professional or personal occasion, up to the point that almost everyone uses it but few actually understand it and don't just repeat it mechanically.

    In brief- one can easily get to hear or even see written in different media tens or hundreds of times a day, 24/7, expressions like: "let's socialize", "you/one/I/we etc. should socialize more", "it's great to socialize", "you don't socialize enough".

    8/3/13 at 6:40pm

    dougczar said:



    1) 110%

    2) Kim Kardashian

    8/3/13 at 7:32pm

    hednic said:



    That's awesome! - shows a lack of vocabulary skills among young people in my country. Seems like that's the only word they can use to describe what they want to say.

    8/3/13 at 7:46pm

    danieq said:



    'my bad'

    and just about anything that is being grunted or mumbled rather than spoken in precise tones. (frequently done by teens but more and more prominent among adults in my country)

    I do like 'it is what it is', given that we live in a society where we seem to think we can fix every single problem. Seems a useful phrase that speaks of learning to be content with what can't be changed. But maybe that is just me.

    8/7/13 at 8:20am

    williampaul1969 said:



    Who let the dogs out???

    8/7/13 at 8:21am

    williampaul1969 said:



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jack HunterView Post

    These are some annoying office phrases, why do people think they are been smart when they start speaking office babble instead of English.

    Take it to the next level - Make something better.

    I’ll ping you an agenda - I'll send you a email.

    Best practice - A good way of doing something.

    It's a no brainer - This is a good idea.

    It’s a win-win situation - It's a really good idea.

    Low-hanging fruit -An easily-achievable goal.

    Flag up - I'm making you aware of something.

    It's on my radar - I'm aware of something.

    Touch base - Lets talk.

    Reach out - Lets talk more.

    This sounds like an Amway meeting.

    8/7/13 at 8:35am

    Tony T said:



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by williampaul1969View Post

    Who let the dogs out???

    might have been in the 90's.

    played at every football game

    8/7/13 at 10:52am

    sjohnjay said:



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tony TView Post

    It is what it is.

    ex manager used to say this at roll call at 4a.m. everyday

    Everybody seems to say that.

    It's just dumb.

    8/7/13 at 10:56am

    martinijo said:



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dougczarView Post

    1) 110%

    2) Kim Kardashian


    I feel your pain

    8/7/13 at 10:57am

    martinijo said:



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jack HunterView Post

    These are some annoying office phrases, why do people think they are been smart when they start speaking office babble instead of English.

    Take it to the next level - Make something better.

    I’ll ping you an agenda - I'll send you a email.

    Best practice - A good way of doing something.

    It's a no brainer - This is a good idea.

    It’s a win-win situation - It's a really good idea.

    Low-hanging fruit -An easily-achievable goal.

    Flag up - I'm making you aware of something.

    It's on my radar - I'm aware of something.

    Touch base - Lets talk.

    Reach out - Lets talk more.


    Just reading the list is a difficult experience.

    8/7/13 at 10:58am

    sjohnjay said:



    How about this one:

    "...I'm Just Sayin'"

    When someone adds this to a statement they make, it only serves to show that they, in fact, have NOTHING at all to say.

    Such phrases are a cancer to any possibility of effective dialogue.





Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000