Luca Turin...

    Luca Turin...

    Poll Results: is Luca Turin an expert? do you take his/her ratings as such?

     
    • 70% (39)
      yes
    • 16% (9)
      no
    • 5% (3)
      undecided
    • 7% (4)
      don't bother
    55 Total Votes  
    post #1 of 80
    Thread Starter 

    do you classify this person as an expert and follow him/her?

    I don't

    post #2 of 80

    I respect the opinion, but I make the final decision.

    post #3 of 80

    Whether I agree or disagree with him is of no importance. He is wise, articulate, and entertaining - I enjoy and respect his opinion.

     

    My own nose still decides.

    post #4 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post

    Whether I agree or disagree with him is of no importance. He is wise, articulate, and entertaining - I enjoy and respect his opinion.

    Likewise.
    post #5 of 80

    I voted that yes, I consider him an expert . I like his writing style and I think he has a great nose. Yes, I disagree with his reviews sometimes and I follow my own judgement but to me, he is an fragrance expert of sorts. 

    post #6 of 80

    There are two questions in your poll.

    I didn't vote because I think he's an expert, but I don't take his ratings as an absolute.

    I sometimes don't agree with his tastes.

    post #7 of 80

    Another Basenotes genius at work. You ask if him/her is an expert. Classic. Sounds like you know as much about him/her as 99% of the other Walmart shoppers who have invaded this site.

     

    Anyway, yeah, he's an expert. A phenomenal writer with excellent taste, but everyone chooses what they like, just like food, clothes, cigars, anything else. If you agreed with everything he said it wouldn't be a lot of fun and it sure as hell wouldn't make you think about what you do like.

     

    The best thing a critic can do is make you think. Turin and Sanchez provide it in massive quantities. I sure as hell don't agree with everything any reviewer or poster on this or any other site thinks. Not even close.

     

    When Luca Turin writes, I love to read it. So do a wide variety of perfumers, regardless of whether or not they agree with it. The perfumers were actually the first ones to ask for more when he started writing reviews in the 90's. And check out the long intro to The Guide. It's the best overall fragrance discussion ever written.


    Edited by pluran - 8/7/13 at 5:10pm
    post #8 of 80

    Yes I classify him as an expert, though I'm not going to start wearing Cool Water.
     

    post #9 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post

    Whether I agree or disagree with him is of no importance. He is wise, articulate, and entertaining - I enjoy and respect his opinion.

    My own nose still decides.

    Exactly.
    post #10 of 80
    Just another guy with a nose and an opinion, that's all. I do enjoy his reviews, even if I don't agree with some - but I could say the same about any other reviewers here on BN or elsewhere. Ultimately I have to enjoy the scent if I'm going to buy it and wear it, and some of Luca's #1's are my #4, while some of his #5's I wouldn't give a #1. I'd never buy a fragrance and put up with it purely because it was highly rated, if my own nose didn't care for it.
    post #11 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pluran View Post

    Another Basenotes genius at work. You ask if him/her is an expert. Classic.

    Anyway, yes.

    Your restraint is admirable.

    I can't answer the question, because I'm not sure which part of quantum mechanics the OP is talking about. wink.gif

    Seriously - as for the ratings - that's very interesting. Luca steered me to Bulgari Black - and for that alone, I'm thankful. But I think that people need to realize that the number of stars is basically an opinion. It's an opinion from a very knowledgeable - indeed - an expert sniffer. But opinions are still opinions. You don't have to agree with any of them. I consider Luca a friend, but I would never lie to him about the fact that I love several of his 1-star scents to death, and I miss the boat on a number of his highly praised ones. I find that the explanations in his reviews are always very helpful. That's where expertise shows.

    People need to be secure in what they like. That's how we get great discussion here - not by following anybody else's opinions to the letter. Even those of our favorite critics, bloggers, reviewers, and posters. Even your friends! Say what you really like and don't be shy about it!
    post #12 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Francois Blais View Post

    There are two questions in your poll.
    I didn't vote because I think he's an expert, but I don't take his ratings as an absolute.
    I sometimes don't agree with his tastes.

    Nicely put.
    post #13 of 80
    Luca Turin is not only a renowned scientist and best-selling author, he is a Basenotes member. Personally, my opinions about fragrance do not mesh with his very often but I bow to his expertise when it comes to the science of scent and think his writing is "expert" too. I believe there's a difference between considering his opinions expert and adopting them as truths. Considering all that goes into collecting, reviewing, researching, etc., fragrance there are many basenotes members I consider fragrance experts, and that includes Luca Turin.
    post #14 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post
    his writing is "expert" too.

    I appreciate good writing wherever I can find it, and I find it in spades with Turin.

    post #15 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post

    Luca Turin is not only a renowned scientist and best-selling author, he is a Basenotes member. Personally, my opinions about fragrance do not mesh with his very often but I bow to his expertise when it comes to the science of scent and think his writing is "expert" too. I believe there's a difference between considering his opinions expert and adopting them as truths. Considering all that goes into collecting, reviewing, researching, etc., fragrance there are many basenotes members I consider fragrance experts, and that includes Luca Turin.

    I agree with this.

    This does not mean I will blindly follow his opinions and go out and purchase a perfume based on his opinion, as I would with any other reviewer.

    So yes, I consider him a learned expert.
    post #16 of 80
    I believe he is an expert, but I certainly do not follow what he says. I will sample some of his highly regarded ones, but if I don't like it, I won't keep trying.
    post #17 of 80

    8/6/13 at 10:32am

    Tony T said:



    do you classify this person as an expert and follow him/her?

    I don't

    8/6/13 at 10:53am

    sjg3839 said:



    I respect the opinion, but I make the final decision.

    8/6/13 at 11:47am

    JON RODGERS said:



    Whether I agree or disagree with him is of no importance. He is wise, articulate, and entertaining - I enjoy and respect his opinion.

     

    My own nose still decides.

    8/6/13 at 3:23pm

    hednic said:



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post

    Whether I agree or disagree with him is of no importance. He is wise, articulate, and entertaining - I enjoy and respect his opinion.

    Likewise.

    8/6/13 at 3:31pm

    Mimi Gardenia said:



    I voted that yes, I consider him an expert . I like his writing style and I think he has a great nose. Yes, I disagree with his reviews sometimes and I follow my own judgement but to me, he is an fragrance expert of sorts. 

    8/6/13 at 4:24pm

    Francois Blais said:



    There are two questions in your poll.

    I didn't vote because I think he's an expert, but I don't take his ratings as an absolute.

    I sometimes don't agree with his tastes.

    8/7/13 at 7:09am

    pluran said:



    Another Basenotes genius at work. You ask if him/her is an expert. Classic. Sounds like you know as much about him/her as 99% of the other Walmart shoppers who have invaded this site.

     

    Anyway, yeah, he's an expert. A phenomenal writer with excellent taste, but everyone chooses what they like, just like food, clothes, cigars, anything else. If you agreed with everything he said it wouldn't be a lot of fun and it sure as hell wouldn't make you think about what you do like.

     

    The best thing a critic can do is make you think. Turin and Sanchez provide it in massive quantities. I sure as hell don't agree with everything any reviewer or poster on this or any other site thinks. Not even close.

     

    When Luca Turin writes, I love to read it. So do a wide variety of perfumers, regardless of whether or not they agree with it. The perfumers were actually the first ones to ask for more when he started writing reviews in the 90's. And check out the long intro to The Guide. It's the best overall fragrance discussion ever written.


    Edited by pluran - 8/7/13 at 5:10pm

    8/7/13 at 7:19am

    martinijo said:



    Yes I classify him as an expert, though I'm not going to start wearing Cool Water.
     

    8/7/13 at 8:38am

    hedonist222 said:



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post

    Whether I agree or disagree with him is of no importance. He is wise, articulate, and entertaining - I enjoy and respect his opinion.

    My own nose still decides.

    Exactly.

    8/7/13 at 8:53am

    remik said:



    Just another guy with a nose and an opinion, that's all. I do enjoy his reviews, even if I don't agree with some - but I could say the same about any other reviewers here on BN or elsewhere. Ultimately I have to enjoy the scent if I'm going to buy it and wear it, and some of Luca's #1's are my #4, while some of his #5's I wouldn't give a #1. I'd never buy a fragrance and put up with it purely because it was highly rated, if my own nose didn't care for it.

    8/7/13 at 9:06am

    Redneck Perfumisto said:



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pluran View Post

    Another Basenotes genius at work. You ask if him/her is an expert. Classic.

    Anyway, yes.

    Your restraint is admirable.

    I can't answer the question, because I'm not sure which part of quantum mechanics the OP is talking about. wink.gif

    Seriously - as for the ratings - that's very interesting. Luca steered me to Bulgari Black - and for that alone, I'm thankful. But I think that people need to realize that the number of stars is basically an opinion. It's an opinion from a very knowledgeable - indeed - an expert sniffer. But opinions are still opinions. You don't have to agree with any of them. I consider Luca a friend, but I would never lie to him about the fact that I love several of his 1-star scents to death, and I miss the boat on a number of his highly praised ones. I find that the explanations in his reviews are always very helpful. That's where expertise shows.

    People need to be secure in what they like. That's how we get great discussion here - not by following anybody else's opinions to the letter. Even those of our favorite critics, bloggers, reviewers, and posters. Even your friends! Say what you really like and don't be shy about it!

    8/7/13 at 9:10am

    Redneck Perfumisto said:



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Francois Blais View Post

    There are two questions in your poll.
    I didn't vote because I think he's an expert, but I don't take his ratings as an absolute.
    I sometimes don't agree with his tastes.

    Nicely put.

    8/7/13 at 9:39am

    socalwoman said:



    Luca Turin is not only a renowned scientist and best-selling author, he is a Basenotes member. Personally, my opinions about fragrance do not mesh with his very often but I bow to his expertise when it comes to the science of scent and think his writing is "expert" too. I believe there's a difference between considering his opinions expert and adopting them as truths. Considering all that goes into collecting, reviewing, researching, etc., fragrance there are many basenotes members I consider fragrance experts, and that includes Luca Turin.

    8/7/13 at 10:13am

    deadidol said:



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post
    his writing is "expert" too.

    I appreciate good writing wherever I can find it, and I find it in spades with Turin.

    8/7/13 at 10:32am

    PalmBeach said:



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post

    Luca Turin is not only a renowned scientist and best-selling author, he is a Basenotes member. Personally, my opinions about fragrance do not mesh with his very often but I bow to his expertise when it comes to the science of scent and think his writing is "expert" too. I believe there's a difference between considering his opinions expert and adopting them as truths. Considering all that goes into collecting, reviewing, researching, etc., fragrance there are many basenotes members I consider fragrance experts, and that includes Luca Turin.

    I agree with this.

    This does not mean I will blindly follow his opinions and go out and purchase a perfume based on his opinion, as I would with any other reviewer.

    So yes, I consider him a learned expert.

    8/7/13 at 11:33am

    williampaul1969 said:



    I believe he is an expert, but I certainly do not follow what he says. I will sample some of his highly regarded ones, but if I don't like it, I won't keep trying.