Video Gaming

    Video Gaming

    post #1 of 14
    Thread Starter 

    Since this forum has a lot of older people on it, I'm not so sure if many gamers are on here, but does anyone on here play video games or own any consoles?

    If so what are your favorite gaming series' and your favorite recent games?

    ------

    As for me, the Gamecube and PS2 were my favorite systems. This past generation, I've had the Xbox 360 keep me company, as well as the PC. I do play classic consoles every now and then.

    And this upcoming generation, I want to only have one console, but at some point I'm probably going to break and get several. I usually wait a year until more games come out before I buy a new console. That, and my main focus is on GTAV.

    So far, I'm leaning toward PS4, but Xbox One could change my mind. I might get a Wii U but it has to get more games first.

    As for my favorite games, Legend of Zelda series, Half-Life series (and other games Valve makes), Grand Theft Auto series (as well as other games Rockstar makes), Bioshock series, Halo series, among others.


    Edited by noirdrakkar - 8/6/13 at 8:08pm
    post #2 of 14

    I didn't play a video game for much of my life, but I was given an XBOX 360 some years ago with HALO 1 & 2. I was hooked - went on to get HALO 3 and 4. Didn't ever finish 4, but wow - those were some amazing, addicting games.

    post #3 of 14

    Mostly Playstation 1 - Playstation 2 & a bit of PSP, Gameboy

    RPG & Playstation gamer here

    I dont mess around with CoD, Halo, and games similar to that genre

    Persona 2, Final Fantasy 5-10 part II &Tactics,Breath of fire IV,Brave Fencer Musashi,Grandia,Thousand Arms,Wild Arms,Vanguard Bandits,Suikoden , Megaman X series, Megaman Command Mission & Legends series, Legend of Dragoon, Valkyrie Profile, Vagrant Story, Front Mission series, Star Ocean series, Chrono Cross, Kartia, Disgaea, Parasite Eve series, A bit of Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, Legend of Legaia series , The Godfather, GTA San andreas and Vice City. Metal Gear, Samurai Warriors & Starcraft

    Cannot remember the rest but these are what are most memorable to me

    3 years ago Dota

    2 Years ago started LoL

    1 and half years ago WoW

    Now playing Dota 2


    Never regretted playing video games, always morals to be learned!


    Edited by justinarabit - 8/6/13 at 7:55pm
    post #4 of 14

    Madden and the NCAA Football games

    post #5 of 14
    Thread Starter 
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dougczarView Post

    I didn't play a video game for much of my life, but I was given an XBOX 360 some years ago with HALO 1 & 2. I was hooked - went on to get HALO 3 and 4. Didn't ever finish 4, but wow - those were some amazing, addicting games.

    Yes, I enjoyed the Halo games. Halo 1 was revolutionary for sci-fi action on consoles. Halo 2 introduced me (and everyone else) to online gaming on consoles. We take it for granted now because the market was saturated with shooters, but believe me, to be playing a game online against other people for the first time, feels very special.

    Halo 3 was a reason for us to get the Xbox 360. But the games after Halo 3, while they did make some improvements, aren't nearly as revolutionary as they once were. I think every series faces the inevitable problem of making more entries without it losing its innovation.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justinarabitView Post

    Now playing Dota 2


    Never regretted playing video games, always morals to be learned!

    Nice list of games. And yeah, I tried getting into Dota 2 but it is not beginner friendly. It's also time-consuming so I keep putting it off. And yes, no regrets.

    post #6 of 14

    Sweet.

    I'm a pretty huge gamer, or at least I was. I have a decently comprehensive knowledge of the 32-128-bit generations (PlayStation thru original XBOX). I swore off games of the current generation of systems in what is probably a foolhardy attempt to play every single game of interest from those systems and am going to be woefully behind by the time PS4 drops, although I make exceptions for the latest sports games and Super Street Fighter IV (SSFIV is making progress towards that ridiculous aspiration pretty much unattainable, as every time I sit down to play I immediately pick up my Chun-Li arcade stick and fight).

    Final Fantasy VII got me into gaming and the series as a whole since then has resided as an untouchable #1 in my rankings. Aside from that, here's my Top 5 of that era (I posted a similar list in this "top5 of anything you want" thread also on this site:

    1. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64)
    2. Metal Gear Solid (PS1)
    3. Shenmue (Dreamcast)
    4. Chrono Cross (PS1)
    5. Soul Calibur (Dreamcast)

    If we went into All-Time mode Super Street Fighter IV for the XBOX360 and SNES's Chrono Trigger would have to factor in to this top five


    Edited by theone1001 - 8/12/13 at 1:01pm
    post #7 of 14

    And this upcoming generation, I want to only have one console, but at some point I'm probably going to break and get several. I usually wait a year until more games come out before I buy a new console. That, and my main focus is on GTAV.

    So far, I'm leaning toward PS4, but Xbox One could change my mind. I might get a Wii U but it has to get more games first.

    There is quite a furor going on in the gaming community right now regarding the upcoming XBOX One--PS4 battle, specifically regarding Microsoft's policies for their new console. They planned to implement a system that eliminated used games and required the system to be connected to the internet at all times (among other things)--protocols that sparked massive outrage in gamers worldwide. Microsoft eventually backed down from these plans and pretty much ended up retracting all the new policies, and the whole thing was kind of a sweet "power of the people" type conflict. That being said, a lot of fans are already turned off and I think the PS4 is predicted to take a substantial lead in this upcoming console clash, so you should stick with your initial plan.

    post #8 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justinarabitView Post

    Mostly Playstation 1 - Playstation 2 & a bit of PSP, Gameboy

    RPG & Playstation gamer here

    I dont mess around with CoD, Halo, and games similar to that genre

    Persona 2, Final Fantasy 5-10 part II &Tactics,Breath of fire IV,Brave Fencer Musashi,Grandia,Thousand Arms,Wild Arms,Vanguard Bandits,Suikoden , Megaman X series, Megaman Command Mission & Legends series, Legend of Dragoon, Valkyrie Profile, Vagrant Story, Front Mission series, Star Ocean series, Chrono Cross, Kartia, Disgaea, Parasite Eve series, A bit of Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, Legend of Legaia series , The Godfather, GTA San andreas and Vice City. Metal Gear, Samurai Warriors & Starcraft

    Cannot remember the rest but these are what are most memorable to me

    3 years ago Dota

    2 Years ago started LoL

    1 and half years ago WoW

    Now playing Dota 2


    Never regretted playing video games, always morals to be learned!

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noirdrakkarView Post

    As for my favorite games, Legend of Zelda series, Half-Life series (and other games Valve makes), Grand Theft Auto series (as well as other games Rockstar makes), Bioshock series, Halo series, among others.

    Good choices being made, here. RPGs are probably my favorite genre as well, J--you've covered some fine ground, and I really think you'd do well to round out your collection and snatch the Lunar games. Working Designs has a beautifully packaged Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete box set (I'm guessing you already know this) and that game is a ton of fun, packed with endearing characters that you genuinely care about and has a great, classic fantasy story line with a handful of twists that really hit home. And it's not a breeze either, like Grandia for example (still love Grandia!), and Lunar 2 is actually quite challenging.

    You also have Chrono Cross listed here, which is one of my favorites ever, but no Chrono Trigger! That game deserves all the legendary accolades it gets, and is an absolute must for you considering all the great RPGs you've enjoyed. Plus, it will give you an entirely new perspective on Chrono Cross, not to mention an excuse to run through it again with a New Game +. The story of that universe is actually incredibly complex (this is exacerbated by issues of direction and pacing in Chrono Cross, which go a long way towards confusing even the most detail-oriented players in regards to what the hell is actually going on), so if you're going to revisit that universe (Chrono Trigger gets my highest recommendation) I suggest you check out this wonderful website called chronocompendium.com.

    There's another monolith of the PS1 role playing game pantheon that you haven't mentioned, also written by Masato Kato and scored by Yasunori Matsuda (the bros from Squaresoft that did Chrono Cross/Trigger): Xenogears. One of the most ambitious stories (even more complex than Chrono Cross), most memorable cast of characters, perhaps a Top 5 all time soundtrack (now there's a list to think about), an awesome battle system, and mechs! What more do you want?!?! Not to make myself sound like an idiot that needs help with everything, but I also pursued outside resources to get a full appreciation of this plot as well and I'd suggest doing the same. Can't remember the websites I used.

    Here's a question to my fellow Zelda fan: there's been a new movement recently placing Wind Waker at the top of the heap, though it was once though blasphemous to put any game in the series over the incomparable Ocarina of Time. I love them all, but Ocarina is my favorite and I'm not totally convinced Wind Waker would even be my #2. What's your top Zelda game?

    post #9 of 14

    Not much of an expert, but there are a few categories of video games I like:

    Classics like Sonic or Tetris

    Strategy games like the Civilization series, the Stronghold series, the Caesar series, the Railroad tycoon series and anything involving the Sim City/Sims series.

    Cannot say I am even particularly good at playing most of these, but I do enjoy them just the same.

    post #10 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theone1001View Post

    There's another monolith of the PS1 role playing game pantheon that you haven't mentioned, also written by Masato Kato and scored by Yasunori Matsuda (the bros from Squaresoft that did Chrono Cross/Trigger): Xenogears. One of the most ambitious stories (even more complex than Chrono Cross), most memorable cast of characters, perhaps a Top 5 all time soundtrack (now there's a list to think about), an awesome battle system, and mechs! What more do you want?!?! Not to make myself sound like an idiot that needs help with everything, but I also pursued outside resources to get a full appreciation of this plot as well and I'd suggest doing the same. Can't remember the websites I used.

    Indeed Xenogears was a great game with a nice story (love love love the designs on the mechs), Xenosaga was a disappointment to me and I believe it was its sequel...

    post #11 of 14
    Thread Starter 
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theone1001View Post

    Here's a question to my fellow Zelda fan: there's been a new movement recently placing Wind Waker at the top of the heap, though it was once though blasphemous to put any game in the series over the incomparable Ocarina of Time. I love them all, but Ocarina is my favorite and I'm not totally convinced Wind Waker would even be my #2. What's your top Zelda game?

    A lot of people criticized Wind Waker's atmosphere and art direction, but I in fact find it to be one of the game's greatest strengths. That, along with it's story and musical score. Wind Waker is a great game, no doubt, but it is not the best. The problem with Wind Waker was that it's dungeons (the focus of the game) simply didn't challenge me. They were just small, simple and linear. Other Zelda games like Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask would present me with dungeons that are so massive they're humbling, have punishing foes which challenge my wits and they have lots of complex intricate puzzles that require careful thought.

    Honestly, it's hard to place any Zelda game at the top of the heap because all have their strengths and weaknesses, but Twilight Princess is probably my favorite. A Link to the Past revolutionized the Zelda franchise. Ocarina of Time revolutionized gaming as a whole. Link's Awakening was a great feat for portable consoles. Majora's Mask had a brilliant concept, but it was tedious because it focused too much on side quests. The Nintendo DS Zelda games weren't impressive. Skyward Sword, the recent entry, was so dichotomous. In many ways it surpassed all other Zelda games, but it had so much repetition, filler and backtracking, that it ruined the entire experience.

    post #12 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noirdrakkarView Post

    A lot of people criticized Wind Waker's atmosphere and art direction, but I in fact find it to be one of the game's greatest strengths. That, along with it's story and musical score. Wind Waker is a great game, no doubt, but it is not the best. The problem with Wind Waker was that it's dungeons (the focus of the game) simply didn't challenge me. They were just small, simple and linear. Other Zelda games like Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask would present me with dungeons that are so massive they're humbling, have punishing foes which challenge my wits and they have lots of complex intricate puzzles that require careful thought.

    Honestly, it's hard to place any Zelda game at the top of the heap because all have their strengths and weaknesses, but Twilight Princess is probably my favorite. A Link to the Past revolutionized the Zelda franchise. Ocarina of Time revolutionized gaming as a whole. Link's Awakening was a great feat for portable consoles. Majora's Mask had a brilliant concept, but it was tedious because it focused too much on side quests. The Nintendo DS Zelda games weren't impressive. Skyward Sword, the recent entry, was so dichotomous. In many ways it surpassed all other Zelda games, but it had so much repetition, filler and backtracking, that it ruined the entire experience.

    Cool breakdown of the series. I agree that the doubt surrounding the cel-shaded graphics in Wind Waker turned out to be unfounded. I also felt that the main imbalance critics highlighted at the time--excessive amounts of tedious travel on the boat--was a bit off-base, as I didn't mind the theme of exploration (and furthermore, before too long I think you learn a song you can play on the titular Wind Waker that lets you basically warps across the ocean instead of sailing). Wind Waker actually gave me one of the standout moments in my gaming career: there's a genuinely surreal scene when you finally reach Hyrule Castle--it's been magically sealed in time, apparently in the middle of a hostile takeover as hordes of enemies are frozen in washed-out black and white just like the rest of the castle as you explore, with only Link fleshed out in color. Walking through the iconic landmark in such a state is like something out of a weird dream, and finally you complete the task at hand and remove the ancient Master Sword from its mantle--then time starts up, color and motion return to the setting, and Link finds himself alone with the legendary weapon to face hundreds of invading enemies. Wasn't that fucking awesome?

    Twilight Princess deserves to be discussed as one of the series' best, for sure. I really love what they did with the atmosphere--topped Majora's Mask as the darkest and most atmospheric Zelda, and you mention dungeon design--in the pantheon of genius Zelda dungeons (I say this for every game in the series...) Twilight Princess had some of the very best, even managing to reinvent classic accessories like the Iron Boots or the Hookshot. What a series.

    Okami is supposed to be an adventure on scale with the Zelda games. I have it but haven't gotten around to playing it much--it's a critical darling but sometimes I wonder if these guys put pressure on themselves to get obsessed with unique titles like Okami or Shadow of the Colossus and actually end up overrating them a bit.

    post #13 of 14
    We started with an Intellivision when I was a kid and I have had a system of some sort ever since. Currently have an Xbox 360. Some of the best games I ever played were the mid to late 90's Resident Evil classics. The newer ones have completely lost the feel of the early ones and now fall flat. The original Halo: Combat Evolved was IMO the best video game ever. A lesser known but FANTASTIC game from the original Xbox was Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath. I am so disappointed that they never followed that one up with a sequel.
    post #14 of 14
    Thread Starter 




Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000