More Restrictive IFRA Regs

    More Restrictive IFRA Regs

    post #1 of 71
    Thread Starter 

    Looks like even more restrictive IFRA regs coming.

     

    http://www.euronews.com/2013/07/26/allergic-reactions-trigger-blow-to-perfume-industry/

     

    "“European negotiations are ongoing. An initial proposal restricting coumarin and twelve other allergenic substances to 0.01 per cent of a product looks like it has been dropped. This would signal a partial success for the perfume lobby. However, it looks like at least three ingredients will definitely be banned.” And, “It’s a breathtaking battle between well-organized business lobbies and patient groups, between scientific researchers and political powers. The new law will be on the table next year".

     

    What is interesting to me, is that I have seen more people that are  allergic to the synthetic chemical substitute perfume oils than the natural absolutes.

     

    I guess it's say bye! to some  current perfume  formulations and look for more reformulations again.

     

    This is insane. They should all take a 25 yr (at least) hiatus.

     

    Pre packaged foods people eat daily  are loaded with unhealthy chemicals and preservatives.....and the worry is over natural perfumers  substances? oy!

    post #2 of 71

    IFRA - BUNCH OF ARSEHOLES

     

    LEAVE US ALONE cry.gif

    post #3 of 71

    Blah.  Trolls.  

    Save us from those nasty plants!

    Quick, give me my chemical spray!

     

    Oh, please, perfume houses.  Someone just say "no."  These aren't laws, are they?  They're not mandatory.  Maybe some new houses will offer new products made by perfumers who are allowed to maintain their artistic integrity.  I know we'd buy them.

    post #4 of 71

    The European Union is the body actually responsible for making the legislation here, I think, however that is managed.

    post #5 of 71

    Worst news for a parfum lover - seriously...Need the lottery gods to smile their luck on all parfum lovers so that all of us can buy the ones we love immediately b4 more restrictions start...

    on a lighter note - maybe it was an "allergic" reaction from "that" Chinese cab driver to the wonderful Eau Sauvage???

    post #6 of 71

    Hmm, maybe he complained!

    post #7 of 71

    It seems to me that over the years ,the perfume industry has been under attack . * The powers that be * are drawing the noose tighter and tighter each year. What with the ban of shipping perfume in the mail as well - it's like a massive lynching .

     

    I really think the perfume houses need to get a back bone - a real one- not the IFRA .. and put a stop to this stupidity .

     

    I have read that perfumers say they can get creative with new materials and get around without the banned/ restricted ones etc etc but what happens when all you are left with are synthetics and the industry that grows raw materials is dead ?

    Brussels is thinking of a small percentage of people who are allergic to some raw materials etc - what about the thousands of people in that industry who will lose their jobs ? 

     

    I am so anti  "anti perfume" that this just infuriates me.  

     

    How sad that newer generations will never smell * real* perfume and fragrance like we have. 

     

    I believe I read Chanel and Guerlain are lobbying against all this and L'oreal are quiet. Guess which giant uses more synthetics ?????

    read this :

    http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/12/16/us-france-perfume-idUSBRE8BF02D20121216

     

    And Frederic Malle fears he will not be able to continue ....well done, Brussels  well done. ( I am being sarcastic ) 

    post #8 of 71
    Thread Starter 
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post

    It seems to me that over the years ,the perfume industry has been under attack . * The powers that be * are drawing the noose tighter and tighter each year. What with the ban of shipping perfume in the mail as well - it's like a massive lynching .

     

    I really think the perfume houses need to get a back bone - a real one- not the IFRA .. and put a stop to this stupidity .

     

    I have read that perfumers say they can get creative with new materials and get around without the banned/ restricted ones etc etc but what happens when all you are left with are synthetics and the industry that grows raw materials is dead ?

    Brussels is thinking of a small percentage of people who are allergic to some raw materials etc - what about the thousands of people in that industry who will lose their jobs ? 

     

    I am so anti  "anti perfume" that this just infuriates me.  

     

    How sad that newer generations will never smell * real* perfume and fragrance like we have. 

     

    I believe I read Chanel and Guerlain are lobbying against all this and L'oreal are quiet. Guess which giant uses more synthetics ????

     

    I wholeheartedly agree with your thoughts !

     

    Perfumers can get 'creative' with what materials are left to them. True statement. However, the end result of these ingredient restricted  perfumes are just not the same as the  older and now  'vintage' (pre IFRA) real deal. Many are sorely lacking depth, decent sillage, longevity and the swoon factor.

     

    Here's an idea- if that small percentage of perfume wearers is allergic to a certain perfume (ingredient)...news flash...stop using it!

     

    But I believe there is much, much  more going on here than 'this ingredient is an allergen and can cause rashes.'

    The 'allergen' excuse is just that...an all encompassing panacea to justify their motives and ongoing restrictive actions.

     

    More perfumers should stand up and join together and maybe, would be able to put a  halt to this madness.


    Edited by Meow7 - 8/9/13 at 8:52am
    post #9 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post

    It seems to me that over the years ,the perfume industry has been under attack . * The powers that be * are drawing the noose tighter and tighter each year. What with the ban of shipping perfume in the mail as well - it's like a massive lynching .

     

    I really think the perfume houses need to get a back bone - a real one- not the IFRA .. and put a stop to this stupidity .

     

    I have read that perfumers say they can get creative with new materials and get around without the banned/ restricted ones etc etc but what happens when all you are left with are synthetics and the industry that grows raw materials is dead ?

    Brussels is thinking of a small percentage of people who are allergic to some raw materials etc - what about the thousands of people in that industry who will lose their jobs ? 

     

    I am so anti  "anti perfume" that this just infuriates me.  

     

    How sad that newer generations will never smell * real* perfume and fragrance like we have. 

     

    I believe I read Chanel and Guerlain are lobbying against all this and L'oreal are quiet. Guess which giant uses more synthetics ?????

    read this :

    http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/12/16/us-france-perfume-idUSBRE8BF02D20121216

     

    And Frederic Malle fears he will not be able to continue ....well done, Brussels  well done. ( I am being sarcastic ) 

     

    Great article. It is a really sad and infuriating thing that is happening to our hobby.
    post #10 of 71
    Very sad and only set to get worse. I wonder if applies to all frangrace products room scent etc. Perfumers please load my 'room scent' up with all the goodies (stick a warning label on it if you must) and if I happen to spray some on myself while scenting my lounge room all the better for me smile.gif
    post #11 of 71

      Anyone else get the feeling that this is all one of those "straw man" sorts of things ?

     

      The government publicly gets *real* serious about "protecting" it's citizens in a certain (and generally trivial) area, while continuing to allow folks to get majorly stabbed in the back in other areas which make big profits for certain well-connected special interests.

     

       Why fragrance needs to be the sacrificial lamb is open to question, but perhaps because it matters so little in the general scheme of things ?

    post #12 of 71
    Some people are deathly allergic to peanuts. I can still buy peanuts.
    Require a warning label on perfumes like on food products.
    "This food may contain peanuts or is processed in a plant that uses peanuts."
    Problem solved.
    post #13 of 71

    Pure and simple it's also about the money. 

     

    I think this is such a huge issue for the perfume industry who till now have been sitting on their laurels because they have never been questioned or attacked on all sides on such a wide scale. 

     

    The perfume industry have been able to get by over the years, traditionally by selling scent and therefore making money - through romance, myth and stories. Now comes the big crunch of reality in the form of regulations so severe - I really do not think they know what to do.

    Perfumers are artists in their own right and not really business or political people. This is all about business and politics.

     

    So they need to get a hold of themselves and start really fighting back to protect what's left of their industry .

    Kudos to Thierry Wasser whom has spoken up about the issues . 

     

    For years now we have been suggesting labels - like the food industry .  No one listens. it isn't good enough.

    Why isn't this good enough ? Apparently ,as scent is a non essential , they are more severe with their regulations .

    Well we can do without peanuts as well but they still sell them and with warning labels. I believe Luca Turin was one of the first, if not the first person to suggest this way back in 2007. This is a man of great intelligence ,a scientist first and foremost - why doesn't someone listen ? 

     

    The anaphylactic shock associated with peanut allergy is a real issue .People die. No one has died from an allergic reaction to a fragrance. Hello ? 

     

    Arrggh  ! One day Brussels will realize they were wrong and it will be too late. 


    Edited by Mimi Gardenia - 8/9/13 at 12:25pm
    post #14 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by badarun View Post

    Worst news for a parfum lover - seriously...
    Agree.
    post #15 of 71
    Just buy what you can as soon as you can. I have been backing up the obvious targets for a few years now - the IFRA/EU restriction thing is a runaway train.
    post #16 of 71

    I have done the same for a few years too, mr.reasonable.

    Reply

    8/9/13 at 3:16am

    Meow7 said:



    Looks like even more restrictive IFRA regs coming.

     

    http://www.euronews.com/2013/07/26/allergic-reactions-trigger-blow-to-perfume-industry/

     

    "“European negotiations are ongoing. An initial proposal restricting coumarin and twelve other allergenic substances to 0.01 per cent of a product looks like it has been dropped. This would signal a partial success for the perfume lobby. However, it looks like at least three ingredients will definitely be banned.” And, “It’s a breathtaking battle between well-organized business lobbies and patient groups, between scientific researchers and political powers. The new law will be on the table next year".

     

    What is interesting to me, is that I have seen more people that are  allergic to the synthetic chemical substitute perfume oils than the natural absolutes.

     

    I guess it's say bye! to some  current perfume  formulations and look for more reformulations again.

     

    This is insane. They should all take a 25 yr (at least) hiatus.

     

    Pre packaged foods people eat daily  are loaded with unhealthy chemicals and preservatives.....and the worry is over natural perfumers  substances? oy!

    8/9/13 at 6:00am

    Kaern said:



    IFRA - BUNCH OF ARSEHOLES

     

    LEAVE US ALONE cry.gif

    8/9/13 at 6:18am

    purplebird7 said:



    Blah.  Trolls.  

    Save us from those nasty plants!

    Quick, give me my chemical spray!

     

    Oh, please, perfume houses.  Someone just say "no."  These aren't laws, are they?  They're not mandatory.  Maybe some new houses will offer new products made by perfumers who are allowed to maintain their artistic integrity.  I know we'd buy them.

    8/9/13 at 6:52am

    lpp said:



    The European Union is the body actually responsible for making the legislation here, I think, however that is managed.

    8/9/13 at 7:02am

    badarun said:



    Worst news for a parfum lover - seriously...Need the lottery gods to smile their luck on all parfum lovers so that all of us can buy the ones we love immediately b4 more restrictions start...

    on a lighter note - maybe it was an "allergic" reaction from "that" Chinese cab driver to the wonderful Eau Sauvage???

    8/9/13 at 7:19am

    lpp said:



    Hmm, maybe he complained!

    8/9/13 at 7:46am

    Mimi Gardenia said:



    It seems to me that over the years ,the perfume industry has been under attack . * The powers that be * are drawing the noose tighter and tighter each year. What with the ban of shipping perfume in the mail as well - it's like a massive lynching .

     

    I really think the perfume houses need to get a back bone - a real one- not the IFRA .. and put a stop to this stupidity .

     

    I have read that perfumers say they can get creative with new materials and get around without the banned/ restricted ones etc etc but what happens when all you are left with are synthetics and the industry that grows raw materials is dead ?

    Brussels is thinking of a small percentage of people who are allergic to some raw materials etc - what about the thousands of people in that industry who will lose their jobs ? 

     

    I am so anti  "anti perfume" that this just infuriates me.  

     

    How sad that newer generations will never smell * real* perfume and fragrance like we have. 

     

    I believe I read Chanel and Guerlain are lobbying against all this and L'oreal are quiet. Guess which giant uses more synthetics ?????

    read this :

    http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/12/16/us-france-perfume-idUSBRE8BF02D20121216

     

    And Frederic Malle fears he will not be able to continue ....well done, Brussels  well done. ( I am being sarcastic ) 

    8/9/13 at 8:05am

    Meow7 said:



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post

    It seems to me that over the years ,the perfume industry has been under attack . * The powers that be * are drawing the noose tighter and tighter each year. What with the ban of shipping perfume in the mail as well - it's like a massive lynching .

     

    I really think the perfume houses need to get a back bone - a real one- not the IFRA .. and put a stop to this stupidity .

     

    I have read that perfumers say they can get creative with new materials and get around without the banned/ restricted ones etc etc but what happens when all you are left with are synthetics and the industry that grows raw materials is dead ?

    Brussels is thinking of a small percentage of people who are allergic to some raw materials etc - what about the thousands of people in that industry who will lose their jobs ? 

     

    I am so anti  "anti perfume" that this just infuriates me.  

     

    How sad that newer generations will never smell * real* perfume and fragrance like we have. 

     

    I believe I read Chanel and Guerlain are lobbying against all this and L'oreal are quiet. Guess which giant uses more synthetics ????

     

    I wholeheartedly agree with your thoughts !

     

    Perfumers can get 'creative' with what materials are left to them. True statement. However, the end result of these ingredient restricted  perfumes are just not the same as the  older and now  'vintage' (pre IFRA) real deal. Many are sorely lacking depth, decent sillage, longevity and the swoon factor.

     

    Here's an idea- if that small percentage of perfume wearers is allergic to a certain perfume (ingredient)...news flash...stop using it!

     

    But I believe there is much, much  more going on here than 'this ingredient is an allergen and can cause rashes.'

    The 'allergen' excuse is just that...an all encompassing panacea to justify their motives and ongoing restrictive actions.

     

    More perfumers should stand up and join together and maybe, would be able to put a  halt to this madness.


    Edited by Meow7 - 8/9/13 at 8:52am

    8/9/13 at 8:49am

    williampaul1969 said:



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post

    It seems to me that over the years ,the perfume industry has been under attack . * The powers that be * are drawing the noose tighter and tighter each year. What with the ban of shipping perfume in the mail as well - it's like a massive lynching .

     

    I really think the perfume houses need to get a back bone - a real one- not the IFRA .. and put a stop to this stupidity .

     

    I have read that perfumers say they can get creative with new materials and get around without the banned/ restricted ones etc etc but what happens when all you are left with are synthetics and the industry that grows raw materials is dead ?

    Brussels is thinking of a small percentage of people who are allergic to some raw materials etc - what about the thousands of people in that industry who will lose their jobs ? 

     

    I am so anti  "anti perfume" that this just infuriates me.  

     

    How sad that newer generations will never smell * real* perfume and fragrance like we have. 

     

    I believe I read Chanel and Guerlain are lobbying against all this and L'oreal are quiet. Guess which giant uses more synthetics ?????

    read this :

    http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/12/16/us-france-perfume-idUSBRE8BF02D20121216

     

    And Frederic Malle fears he will not be able to continue ....well done, Brussels  well done. ( I am being sarcastic ) 

     

    Great article. It is a really sad and infuriating thing that is happening to our hobby.

    8/9/13 at 9:19am

    Xscent said:



    Very sad and only set to get worse. I wonder if applies to all frangrace products room scent etc. Perfumers please load my 'room scent' up with all the goodies (stick a warning label on it if you must) and if I happen to spray some on myself while scenting my lounge room all the better for me smile.gif

    8/9/13 at 9:57am

    Birdboy48 said:



      Anyone else get the feeling that this is all one of those "straw man" sorts of things ?

     

      The government publicly gets *real* serious about "protecting" it's citizens in a certain (and generally trivial) area, while continuing to allow folks to get majorly stabbed in the back in other areas which make big profits for certain well-connected special interests.

     

       Why fragrance needs to be the sacrificial lamb is open to question, but perhaps because it matters so little in the general scheme of things ?

    8/9/13 at 11:34am

    Akahina said:



    Some people are deathly allergic to peanuts. I can still buy peanuts.
    Require a warning label on perfumes like on food products.
    "This food may contain peanuts or is processed in a plant that uses peanuts."
    Problem solved.

    8/9/13 at 12:04pm

    Mimi Gardenia said:



    Pure and simple it's also about the money. 

     

    I think this is such a huge issue for the perfume industry who till now have been sitting on their laurels because they have never been questioned or attacked on all sides on such a wide scale. 

     

    The perfume industry have been able to get by over the years, traditionally by selling scent and therefore making money - through romance, myth and stories. Now comes the big crunch of reality in the form of regulations so severe - I really do not think they know what to do.

    Perfumers are artists in their own right and not really business or political people. This is all about business and politics.

     

    So they need to get a hold of themselves and start really fighting back to protect what's left of their industry .

    Kudos to Thierry Wasser whom has spoken up about the issues . 

     

    For years now we have been suggesting labels - like the food industry .  No one listens. it isn't good enough.

    Why isn't this good enough ? Apparently ,as scent is a non essential , they are more severe with their regulations .

    Well we can do without peanuts as well but they still sell them and with warning labels. I believe Luca Turin was one of the first, if not the first person to suggest this way back in 2007. This is a man of great intelligence ,a scientist first and foremost - why doesn't someone listen ? 

     

    The anaphylactic shock associated with peanut allergy is a real issue .People die. No one has died from an allergic reaction to a fragrance. Hello ? 

     

    Arrggh  ! One day Brussels will realize they were wrong and it will be too late. 


    Edited by Mimi Gardenia - 8/9/13 at 12:25pm

    8/9/13 at 2:41pm

    hednic said:



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by badarun View Post

    Worst news for a parfum lover - seriously...
    Agree.

    8/10/13 at 8:27am

    mr. reasonable said:



    Just buy what you can as soon as you can. I have been backing up the obvious targets for a few years now - the IFRA/EU restriction thing is a runaway train.

    8/10/13 at 10:44am

    lpp said:



    I have done the same for a few years too, mr.reasonable.