Method for Scenting One's Car Interior and Home

    Method for Scenting One's Car Interior and Home

    post #1 of 29
    Thread Starter 

    I was surfing Guerlain's website recently and found an interesting concept.  The perfumer suggests "a few drops of Eau de Toilette on a little leather ball placed in the car or in the home leaves a lasting, warm and sensual impression."  Have any of you tried this before?  It sounds pretty simple and convenient at that.

    post #2 of 29
    Haven't tried this method, but I can see how it would be effective.
    post #3 of 29
    That definitely sounds interesting. Where could I find a leather ball?
    post #4 of 29
    I just looked up what leather I could do this with and you can buy cheap vegetable tanned cow leather scraps from eBay or other online stores. That would work perfectly.
    post #5 of 29

    Just curious.

    How long will it last?

    Say the long lasting scents..

    hours,days??

    somebody has tried this right?

    post #6 of 29
    I am going to try this tomorrow. I will report back with my findings. I have a small piece of really nice leather that came with my wolverine 1000 mile boots that I will use. I haven't decided on a scent yet but I'm thinking of using an Amouage.
    post #7 of 29
    Thread Starter 

    I'm assuming Guerlain's perfumer at least, considering the claim was made under the Perfumer's Secret tab when I was viewing the Heritage EDT section.  Guerlain's website was a pleasure exploring as it offers more tips like these as well as a free online consultation to help you find a suitable scent.  

    post #8 of 29
    Wonder why leather so specifically.
    post #9 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post

    Wonder why leather so specifically.
    I think it's because leather would hold the scent for a long time. Much longer than paper, cotton etc.
    post #10 of 29

    As Jivehippo was saying, leather keeps a perfume for a long time (so does fur) - the perfume should last for days, if not weeks. But cloth works well too, several days. Sillage will be very subdued (not necessarily a bad thing) unless it's close to a heat source, which will reduce longevity, though.

    cacio

    post #11 of 29

    Hi Guys , I stumbled across this forum a few weeks ago because I was looking for a Bass Guitar forum. After some  reading here I became intrigued and bought a few samples and today bought my first bottle . Anyway when I read this thread tonight I just cracked up , you guys are just crazy about fragrances to the point of making your car smell good by soaking a leather ball ? Im laughed for a good 5 minutes and I mean no disrespect to anyone , in fact Im looking for a piece of leather so I can soak in put in my car, I may hang it from the rear view mirror .
     

    post #12 of 29
    I think leather has it's own scent, which would combine with the EDT. I'd choose an scent that had leather notes in it, or would work well with leather. Fleur De Peau by Keiko Mecheri might work in a car on a piece of leather.
    post #13 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mike 257 View Post

    Hi Guys , I stumbled across this forum a few weeks ago because I was looking for a Bass Guitar forum. After some  reading here I became intrigued and bought a few samples and today bought my first bottle . Anyway when I read this thread tonight I just cracked up , you guys are just crazy about fragrances to the point of making your car smell good by soaking a leather ball ? Im laughed for a good 5 minutes and I mean no disrespect to anyone , in fact Im looking for a piece of leather so I can soak in put in my car, I may hang it from the rear view mirror .

     

    Hey, welcome to Basenotes! beer.gif

    We actually have a lot of bass players and other musicians here.

    Yeah, you're looking for the leather - you're definitely one of us.

    Give up! Come - to the aromatic side of The Force! evil.gifwink.gifcool.gif
    post #14 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post

    Hey, welcome to Basenotes! beer.gif

    We actually have a lot of bass players and other musicians here.

    Yeah, you're looking for the leather - you're definitely one of us.

    Give up! Come - to the aromatic side of The Force! evil.gifwink.gifcool.gif

    That's pretty funny! I flip back and forth between BASENOTES and TALKBASS, because I'm also a bass player who likes to smell good.
    post #15 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by huffeur View Post

    That's pretty funny! I flip back and forth between BASENOTES and TALKBASS, because I'm also a bass player who likes to smell good.

    I work in the performance industry and would like to find a bass player who smells good! Or just a muso in general ; ). (Ex-turn here!)
    post #16 of 29

    This is far superior to my current method of scenting my car, (which is leaving a gym bag full of sweaty powerlifting gear in the back seat)  I will give it a try, maybe I'll spray my son's Catchers Mitt, I'm sure he'll enjoy it.

    post #17 of 29
    Fumigate with oud or frankisense:

    20130627_174130_1_zps5474196a.jpg
    post #18 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post

    Fumigate with oud or frankisense:

    20130627_174130_1_zps5474196a.jpg

     

     

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hedonist222 

    8/13/13 at 4:35pm

    pma55525 said:



    I was surfing Guerlain's website recently and found an interesting concept.  The perfumer suggests "a few drops of Eau de Toilette on a little leather ball placed in the car or in the home leaves a lasting, warm and sensual impression."  Have any of you tried this before?  It sounds pretty simple and convenient at that.

    8/13/13 at 4:37pm

    hednic said:



    Haven't tried this method, but I can see how it would be effective.

    8/13/13 at 4:37pm

    williampaul1969 said:



    That definitely sounds interesting. Where could I find a leather ball?

    8/13/13 at 4:45pm

    williampaul1969 said:



    I just looked up what leather I could do this with and you can buy cheap vegetable tanned cow leather scraps from eBay or other online stores. That would work perfectly.

    8/13/13 at 4:49pm

    Tony T said:



    Just curious.

    How long will it last?

    Say the long lasting scents..

    hours,days??

    somebody has tried this right?

    8/13/13 at 5:13pm

    williampaul1969 said:



    I am going to try this tomorrow. I will report back with my findings. I have a small piece of really nice leather that came with my wolverine 1000 mile boots that I will use. I haven't decided on a scent yet but I'm thinking of using an Amouage.

    8/13/13 at 5:38pm

    pma55525 said:



    I'm assuming Guerlain's perfumer at least, considering the claim was made under the Perfumer's Secret tab when I was viewing the Heritage EDT section.  Guerlain's website was a pleasure exploring as it offers more tips like these as well as a free online consultation to help you find a suitable scent.  

    8/13/13 at 5:43pm

    BeyondTheBox said:



    Wonder why leather so specifically.

    8/13/13 at 5:58pm

    JiveHippo said:



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post

    Wonder why leather so specifically.
    I think it's because leather would hold the scent for a long time. Much longer than paper, cotton etc.

    8/13/13 at 7:13pm

    cacio said:



    As Jivehippo was saying, leather keeps a perfume for a long time (so does fur) - the perfume should last for days, if not weeks. But cloth works well too, several days. Sillage will be very subdued (not necessarily a bad thing) unless it's close to a heat source, which will reduce longevity, though.

    cacio

    8/13/13 at 7:59pm

    Mike 257 said:



    Hi Guys , I stumbled across this forum a few weeks ago because I was looking for a Bass Guitar forum. After some  reading here I became intrigued and bought a few samples and today bought my first bottle . Anyway when I read this thread tonight I just cracked up , you guys are just crazy about fragrances to the point of making your car smell good by soaking a leather ball ? Im laughed for a good 5 minutes and I mean no disrespect to anyone , in fact Im looking for a piece of leather so I can soak in put in my car, I may hang it from the rear view mirror .
     

    8/13/13 at 9:03pm

    socalwoman said:



    I think leather has it's own scent, which would combine with the EDT. I'd choose an scent that had leather notes in it, or would work well with leather. Fleur De Peau by Keiko Mecheri might work in a car on a piece of leather.

    8/13/13 at 10:14pm

    Redneck Perfumisto said:



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mike 257 View Post

    Hi Guys , I stumbled across this forum a few weeks ago because I was looking for a Bass Guitar forum. After some  reading here I became intrigued and bought a few samples and today bought my first bottle . Anyway when I read this thread tonight I just cracked up , you guys are just crazy about fragrances to the point of making your car smell good by soaking a leather ball ? Im laughed for a good 5 minutes and I mean no disrespect to anyone , in fact Im looking for a piece of leather so I can soak in put in my car, I may hang it from the rear view mirror .

     

    Hey, welcome to Basenotes! beer.gif

    We actually have a lot of bass players and other musicians here.

    Yeah, you're looking for the leather - you're definitely one of us.

    Give up! Come - to the aromatic side of The Force! evil.gifwink.gifcool.gif

    8/13/13 at 10:55pm

    huffeur said:



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post

    Hey, welcome to Basenotes! beer.gif

    We actually have a lot of bass players and other musicians here.

    Yeah, you're looking for the leather - you're definitely one of us.

    Give up! Come - to the aromatic side of The Force! evil.gifwink.gifcool.gif

    That's pretty funny! I flip back and forth between BASENOTES and TALKBASS, because I'm also a bass player who likes to smell good.

    8/14/13 at 1:07am

    The_Scentinel said:



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by huffeur View Post

    That's pretty funny! I flip back and forth between BASENOTES and TALKBASS, because I'm also a bass player who likes to smell good.

    I work in the performance industry and would like to find a bass player who smells good! Or just a muso in general ; ). (Ex-turn here!)

    8/14/13 at 6:31am

    MrSniffer said:



    This is far superior to my current method of scenting my car, (which is leaving a gym bag full of sweaty powerlifting gear in the back seat)  I will give it a try, maybe I'll spray my son's Catchers Mitt, I'm sure he'll enjoy it.

    8/14/13 at 10:27am

    hedonist222 said:



    Fumigate with oud or frankisense:

    20130627_174130_1_zps5474196a.jpg

    8/14/13 at 1:57pm

    Primrose said:



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post

    Fumigate with oud or frankisense:

    20130627_174130_1_zps5474196a.jpg

     

     

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hedonist222