URGENT request for help: My rights as a consumer?

    URGENT request for help: My rights as a consumer?

    post #1 of 10
    Thread Starter 

    Dear basenoters,

    I purchased a perfume from an online shop in Holland. Shipping was offered only for the same country so I asked them if they would ship to Finland. They replied positively as long as I would pay for the postage fees. I did. I paid a total of 88,50€ with my credit card via buckaroo with which the online shop collaborates. The online shop people didn't even ask me for my postal address which I sent them anyway. They didn't provide me with any form to fill in with my contact details and they didn't inform me in advance about the shipping service they would use. They did sent me a track and trace code with TNT and a link. The link and the code never worked for me so I could not track and trace my parcel. After a couple of days of not receiving anything I contacted the online shop and the boss there let me know what TNT had told him, that because the delivery man didn't have my phone and the entry code to my building they just returned the parcel to Holland. Now the online shop has the merchandise I have paid for, while, I have paid in full but have got nothing but stress. Because now the online shop blames me for not providing them with all the neccessary information. Regardless of the fact that they asked me nothing in the first place. I am at loss because now they may require from me to pay again 18,50€ to re-send me the parcel, and I think that this would be unfair. I don't know what to do. The online shop is not fraudulent. I believe that they didn't know how to process an international purchase and they failed to take care of the international shipping but they don't want to take any responsibility about the mishap. I feel that I have no power to pressure them to re-send the parcel on their own cost or to share the new postage fees. They can do as they please. Any help and/or suggestions?

    post #2 of 10

    Hi michailG - sorry to hear about your problem.

    I always check any tracking links when received and subsequently until the item has arrived and also sign up for any email updates that may be offered.

    This has never happened to me, as the shipping companies here leave a card in the event of a missed delivery so that we may arrange a mutually convenient time.

    Also, if dealing with a company unused to shipping to my country, I would enter into correspondence in order to clarify everything before paying.

    If it did happen to me, I would be inclined to speak to the owner of the shop first to try to resolve the issue and, failing that, contact your card issuer.

    Good luck - hope it sorts out.

    post #3 of 10
    Thread Starter 

    Thank you lpp.

    I am trying to resolve the matter with the owner. Thank you for the plan b suggestion. This has never happened to me before and so I am learning my lesson... the hard way.

    I do too hope that it will be fine at the end.

    post #4 of 10

    MichailG, you have my sympathies! I am also an international shopper and have learnt the hard way, just like you, that small shops do not always know what they are doing when offering international shipping.

    I always get wary when I encounter a fill-in-address form that is very skimpy and I have to wedge my international information into it. After making an order, I contact the shop and make them confirm that they have what they need from me. That way, if there is any trouble with the shipping I will have in writing that I have done everything correctly.

    Can you get this fragrance from another shop? That would be option A for me; withdraw the order, and shop somewhere else, where they know what they are doing. Even if it's more expensive. That sends a clear signal to the shop that you are an unhappy cutsomer, and maybe they will look into their routines and change them,

    post #5 of 10
    That's weird.

    Normally of the courier can't deliver, they retain the parcel at Thier facility for a fair amount of time.
    Here , national post retains a unclaimed parcel for a month.

    Somehow I'm very surprised they'd send it back overseas after a single failed deliver attempt.

    Anyways, it looks like you're dealing with a mom & pop small business that doesn't care about maintaining relations with potential long term customers.
    They're being petty about $20.

    Just send them the money and save your time and effort.

    Better to be ripped by $20 today than $200 in the future.
    post #6 of 10
    Andsince it's an international issue, the shop is probably going to disregard the issue even more.

    If there's some place you can leave negative feedback, do so.
    post #7 of 10
    Thread Starter 

    Thank you.

    I am negotiating with the shop and I will also check with the shipping company. I hope they still have my parcel in Finland so that I can claim it.

    Thank you all very much.

    post #8 of 10
    Thread Starter 

    Hi!

    Good news! The mailing service misinformed the online shop. My perfume was not returned but stored until they would get hold of me. So I have my perfume now and I apologized to the online shop for the anxiety over the shipping that created bad feelings.The shop didn't do anything wrong. It was the shipping service that messed up. I have learned my lesson though and I will be more detailed in the future and more demanding about shipping options.

    post #9 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by michailGView Post

    Hi!
    Good news! The mailing service misinformed the online shop. My perfume was not returned but stored until they would get hold of me. So I have my perfume now and I apologized to the online shop for the anxiety over the shipping that created bad feelings.The shop didn't do anything wrong. It was the shipping service that messed up. I have learned my lesson though and I will be more detailed in the future and more demanding about shipping options.
    Glad it worked out for you in the end.
    post #10 of 10

    Hope you enjoy them after all of that!

    class="

    8/18/13 at 2:13am

    michailG said:



    Dear basenoters,

    I purchased a perfume from an online shop in Holland. Shipping was offered only for the same country so I asked them if they would ship to Finland. They replied positively as long as I would pay for the postage fees. I did. I paid a total of 88,50€ with my credit card via buckaroo with which the online shop collaborates. The online shop people didn't even ask me for my postal address which I sent them anyway. They didn't provide me with any form to fill in with my contact details and they didn't inform me in advance about the shipping service they would use. They did sent me a track and trace code with TNT and a link. The link and the code never worked for me so I could not track and trace my parcel. After a couple of days of not receiving anything I contacted the online shop and the boss there let me know what TNT had told him, that because the delivery man didn't have my phone and the entry code to my building they just returned the parcel to Holland. Now the online shop has the merchandise I have paid for, while, I have paid in full but have got nothing but stress. Because now the online shop blames me for not providing them with all the neccessary information. Regardless of the fact that they asked me nothing in the first place. I am at loss because now they may require from me to pay again 18,50€ to re-send me the parcel, and I think that this would be unfair. I don't know what to do. The online shop is not fraudulent. I believe that they didn't know how to process an international purchase and they failed to take care of the international shipping but they don't want to take any responsibility about the mishap. I feel that I have no power to pressure them to re-send the parcel on their own cost or to share the new postage fees. They can do as they please. Any help and/or suggestions?

    8/18/13 at 2:33am

    lpp said:



    Hi michailG - sorry to hear about your problem.

    I always check any tracking links when received and subsequently until the item has arrived and also sign up for any email updates that may be offered.

    This has never happened to me, as the shipping companies here leave a card in the event of a missed delivery so that we may arrange a mutually convenient time.

    Also, if dealing with a company unused to shipping to my country, I would enter into correspondence in order to clarify everything before paying.

    If it did happen to me, I would be inclined to speak to the owner of the shop first to try to resolve the issue and, failing that, contact your card issuer.

    Good luck - hope it sorts out.

    8/18/13 at 3:05am

    michailG said:



    Thank you lpp.

    I am trying to resolve the matter with the owner. Thank you for the plan b suggestion. This has never happened to me before and so I am learning my lesson... the hard way.

    I do too hope that it will be fine at the end.

    8/18/13 at 4:04am

    furrypine said:



    MichailG, you have my sympathies! I am also an international shopper and have learnt the hard way, just like you, that small shops do not always know what they are doing when offering international shipping.

    I always get wary when I encounter a fill-in-address form that is very skimpy and I have to wedge my international information into it. After making an order, I contact the shop and make them confirm that they have what they need from me. That way, if there is any trouble with the shipping I will have in writing that I have done everything correctly.

    Can you get this fragrance from another shop? That would be option A for me; withdraw the order, and shop somewhere else, where they know what they are doing. Even if it's more expensive. That sends a clear signal to the shop that you are an unhappy cutsomer, and maybe they will look into their routines and change them,

    8/18/13 at 6:07am

    hedonist222 said:



    That's weird.

    Normally of the courier can't deliver, they retain the parcel at Thier facility for a fair amount of time.
    Here , national post retains a unclaimed parcel for a month.

    Somehow I'm very surprised they'd send it back overseas after a single failed deliver attempt.

    Anyways, it looks like you're dealing with a mom & pop small business that doesn't care about maintaining relations with potential long term customers.
    They're being petty about $20.

    Just send them the money and save your time and effort.

    Better to be ripped by $20 today than $200 in the future.

    8/18/13 at 6:09am

    hedonist222 said:



    Andsince it's an international issue, the shop is probably going to disregard the issue even more.

    If there's some place you can leave negative feedback, do so.

    8/18/13 at 7:37am

    michailG said:



    Thank you.

    I am negotiating with the shop and I will also check with the shipping company. I hope they still have my parcel in Finland so that I can claim it.

    Thank you all very much.

    8/20/13 at 6:41am

    michailG said:



    Hi!

    Good news! The mailing service misinformed the online shop. My perfume was not returned but stored until they would get hold of me. So I have my perfume now and I apologized to the online shop for the anxiety over the shipping that created bad feelings.The shop didn't do anything wrong. It was the shipping service that messed up. I have learned my lesson though and I will be more detailed in the future and more demanding about shipping options.

    8/20/13 at 11:22am

    hednic said:



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by michailGView Post

    Hi!
    Good news! The mailing service misinformed the online shop. My perfume was not returned but stored until they would get hold of me. So I have my perfume now and I apologized to the online shop for the anxiety over the shipping that created bad feelings.The shop didn't do anything wrong. It was the shipping service that messed up. I have learned my lesson though and I will be more detailed in the future and more demanding about shipping options.
    Glad it worked out for you in the end.

    8/20/13 at 12:06pm

    lpp said:



    Hope you enjoy them after all of that!