Strange experience buying a decant

    Strange experience buying a decant

    post #1 of 25
    Thread Starter 

    I purchased a decant off the Bay.

    The seller then sent me a message that I was the last of a decant and, for an extra fee, he'd include the original bottle and box.

    I'm not interested. I asked why he would charge me for it when it would cost him money to buy a vial for my decant. Seems like he'd want to just toss it in.

    Am I missing something?

    post #2 of 25

    Greedy

    post #3 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HappyguyView Post

    I purchased a decant off the Bay.

    The seller then sent me a message that I was the last of a decant and, for an extra fee, he'd include the original bottle and box.

    I'm not interested. I asked why he would charge me for it when it would cost him money to buy a vial for my decant. Seems like he'd want to just toss it in.

    Am I missing something?

    A 5ml decant can probably ship first class with tracking for $1.69 while a bottle will be over 13oz and have to go priority which starts over $5.

    post #4 of 25
    Thread Starter 

    It's the difference between a 50ml bottle and a 200ml bottle.

    But I get your point. I hadn't thought of that.

    Still, wouldn't the extra shipping cost roughly equal the price of buying a 50ml vial?

    post #5 of 25
    You should pay for the difference in postage.

    To charge you for the bottle is petty. Petty because he clearly doesn't want it.
    post #6 of 25

    ... not to mention, it's actually more work for him to decant the remnants of the bottle, rather than just ship you what's left. It's not muchfun to pump out 50ml of a spray fragrance into a decant bottle (assuming it's a spray bottle).

    post #7 of 25

    It's nice to have the original bottle and box for many people rather than a generic decant bottle. If he's charging more than the marginal shipping cost, he's counting on this to get some more cash out of you, I'd guess.

    I know some people sell (and others must be buying) empty bottles, so he must reckon it's worth something.

    post #8 of 25
    Thread Starter 
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by naylorView Post

    ... not to mention, it's actually more work for him to decant the remnants of the bottle, rather than just ship you what's left. It's not muchfun to pump out 50ml of a spray fragrance into a decant bottle (assuming it's a spray bottle).

    My thoughts exactly. It's extra time and cost.

    Maybe some people pay extra for the thrill of having the original bottle & box?

    Being so new to the fragrance world, I thought I'd better ask in case I was missing something.

    Thank you.

    post #9 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by naylorView Post

    ... not to mention, it's actually more work for him to decant the remnants of the bottle, rather than just ship you what's left. It's not muchfun to pump out 50ml of a spray fragrance into a decant bottle (assuming it's a spray bottle).

    Takes about 30 seconds to remove the sprayer and pour the perfume into the decant bottle, so I highly doubt the person would pump out the last 50ml.

    Depending on the size of the bottle, and where it mails to, the difference in mailing cost could be more than the $5.00 cost someone mentioned above.
    post #10 of 25

    I've seen quite a few people trying to sell empty bottles on ebay, even sealed spray bottles of common designer scents.

    post #11 of 25
    If you want it, you should just pay shipping. It's a useless bottle. I understand why people sell their bottle on eBay, but it's pointless to me for him to sell you his recyclables or garbage.
    post #12 of 25
    Wondering how much of an "extra fee" he is charging? Did you ask?
    post #13 of 25
    Thread Starter 

    $15.

    Not sure about the extra cost to ship a 200ml bottle versus a 50 ml bottle. But it's probably close to the cost he'd otherwise incur for buying the 50ml decant bottle.

    post #14 of 25
    looks fair
    post #15 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hedonist222View Post

    looks fair

    I agree

    post #16 of 25
    Thread Starter 

    You both think it was fair? As in, he is spending $x to send the bottle so it's fair to ask for equal compensation

    Except that there doesn't seem to be any extra expense on his part.

    The offer was: I pay an extra $15 and he sends the 50ml decant in the original 200ml bottle.

    From what I can tell:

    1. No/little extra shipping cost: the weight difference isn't minimal but it's $0 extra if he's shipping flat rate

    2. Saves him $4: shipping in the original bottle means that he doesn't have to buy a 50ml atomizer for the decant

    3. Collectible value of a Sycomore 200ml bottle: unknown. I don't see them on eBay.

    post #17 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HappyguyView Post

    You both think it was fair? As in, he is spending $x to send the bottle so it's fair to ask for equal compensation
    Except that there doesn't seem to be any extra expense on his part.


    The offer was: I pay an extra $15 and he sends the 50ml decant in the original 200ml bottle.

    From what I can tell:
    1. No/little extra shipping cost: the weight difference isn't minimal but it's $0 extra if he's shipping flat rate
    2. Saves him $4: shipping in the original bottle means that he doesn't have to buy a 50ml atomizer for the decant
    3. Collectible value of a Sycomore 200ml bottle: unknown. I don't see them on eBay.

    I send out over 500 splits a year, and I can honestly tell you there is a difference in the cost for mailing.

    A 50ml split sent USPS First Class Mail will cost $2.75-$3.25 depending on how it is packaged. A 200ml bottle will not fit into a standard small Priority Mail Flat Rate Box. It would have to go into something larger, especially if your pack it properly to avoid any breakage.

    I regularly send 75ml Guerlain Bottles and packaging. From Florida to California, the Priority Mail cost is can $12.00 or more. Add to that the cost for the packing materials, time and effort, plus purchasing on Ebay using paypal, the fees of .0475 for the additional monies.

    The bottom line, if you do not feel it is worth the extra money to have the original bottle, then don't fret or get upset about it, just get the decant bottle and enjoy the fragrance.
    post #18 of 25




Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000