Three New Reviews By Luca Turin: Fate Woman By Amouage, Norne by Slumberhouse, and Oud Caravan No.3 by Profumo

    Three New Reviews By Luca Turin: Fate Woman By Amouage, Norne by Slumberhouse, and Oud Caravan...

    post #1 of 23
    Thread Starter 

    He posted this link on his twitter account a couple hours ago:

    http://arabia.style.com/beauty/beauty-guide/message-in-a-bottle-amouage-slumberhouse-profumo/#5

    post #2 of 23

    Waiting for the Scent Bar to get Fate.

    post #3 of 23
    On Slumberhouse Norne:
    Quote:
    They are to normal fragrances what a hunting-horn ensemble is to a symphony orchestra.

    Ha!
    post #4 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chili_williView Post

    On Slumberhouse Norne:
    Quote:
    They are to normal fragrances what a hunting-horn ensemble is to a symphony orchestra.

    Ha!

    Brilliant. I think it's a great review - he totally gets the brand's schtick and value. I actually feel the same. I don't particularly like Slumberhouse, but it has moments that make me glad I stopped to sniff. Exactly like the oddball contemporary orchestral pieces that the players love and respect, but admit are difficult.
    Quote:
    Not a proper perfume, but a fine improper one.
    post #5 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Redneck PerfumistoView Post

    Brilliant. I think it's a great review - he totally gets the brand's schtick and value. I actually feel the same. I don't particularly like Slumberhouse, but it has moments that make me glad I stopped to sniff. Exactly like the oddball contemporary orchestral pieces that the players love and respect, but admit are difficult.

    I like Norne but my favorite in the line is Sova and would like to see him review it. Regardless, I am going to enjoy regular installments of his reviews.
    post #6 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chili_williView Post

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Redneck PerfumistoView Post

    Brilliant. I think it's a great review - he totally gets the brand's schtick and value. I actually feel the same. I don't particularly like Slumberhouse, but it has moments that make me glad I stopped to sniff. Exactly like the oddball contemporary orchestral pieces that the players love and respect, but admit are difficult.

    I like Norne but my favorite in the line is Sova and would like to see him review it. Regardless, I am going to enjoy regular installments of his reviews.

    I agree - it will be good, and I'll enjoy it, too.

    RE Slumberhouse, I think it was best not to pick a more accessible one first - that would be misleading. Norne is perfect, and representative.
    post #7 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WingieView Post

    He posted this link on his twitter account a couple hours ago:

    http://arabia.style.com/beauty/beauty-guide/message-in-a-bottle-amouage-slumberhouse-profumo/#5
    Thanks for the info and link.
    post #8 of 23
    Thread Starter 
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chili_williView Post

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Redneck PerfumistoView Post

    Brilliant. I think it's a great review - he totally gets the brand's schtick and value. I actually feel the same. I don't particularly like Slumberhouse, but it has moments that make me glad I stopped to sniff. Exactly like the oddball contemporary orchestral pieces that the players love and respect, but admit are difficult.

    I like Norne but my favorite in the line is Sova and would like to see him review it. Regardless, I am going to enjoy regular installments of his reviews.

    Is it true he'll be posting reviews bimonthly, totalling six fragrances a month? I totally welcome his aid in helping me navigate the post-2008 world of perfume, even if its just to point me toward some things to try. It can be overwhelming - there's just so much out there.

    post #9 of 23

    Thanks for the link. Looking forward to reading more - and smelling Fate. Of course, at the rate at which Amouage reformulates, if it's really good, it might be wise to stock up.

    cacio

    post #10 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cacioView Post

    Thanks for the link. Looking forward to reading more - and smelling Fate. Of course, at the rate at which Amouage reformulates, if it's really good, it might be wise to stock up.

    cacio

    Yes - Fate Woman is automatically at the top of my Amouage list now.

    People may quibble over Turin's star values, but almost always in the 1-4 range. Anything he labels a "5" has gone through El Al security, as far as I'm concerned. I have never gone wrong by sampling or buying one of his 5-star scents. In fact, my lucky buy into a portion of a newly-discovered Feu d'Issey was based largely on trusting in his 5-star rating, when that highly coveted DC frag was still somewhat under the radar. And I made sure to clear out several gigs of scent memory for Djedi, when I got a chance to sniff it.
    post #11 of 23

    That was an enjoyable read. Thanks for posting the link. I do miss Turin's witty yet insightful review style.

    post #12 of 23

    Excellent. Glad to finally see it. Hope there are many more.

    Opium (vintage) is the bomb so Fate Woman must be a great one.

    post #13 of 23
    Thanks for the link! Great read!
    post #14 of 23

    Thanks, Wingie.

    post #15 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WingieView Post

    Is it true he'll be posting reviews bimonthly, totalling six fragrances a month?

    On the final page of the link it says
    Quote:
    The reviews from Luca Turin's bi-monthly column, Message in a Bottle, will be featured in Luca Turin's and Tania Sanchez' forthcoming book of fragrance reviews.

    Then I found this on oxforddictionaries.com:
    Quote:
    Does 'bimonthly' mean 'twice a month' or 'every two months'?

    Unfortunately it means both! In the publishing industry, though, it's used fairly consistently to mean 'every two months', so that a bimonthly magazine is generally one that's issued every two months. The same ambiguity affects biweekly and biyearly. If you want to be absolutely clear, it's best to use a phrase such as 'twice a week' or 'every two years'.

    So to answer your question... maybe, but probably not. lol
    post #16 of 23
    Nope--reviews are coming out every Monday. From the horse's mouth: Caterina Minthe my editor @StyleArabia tells me that the first batch of perfume reviews will be out tomorrow and every other Mon thereafter!
    post #17 of 23




Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000